• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is your signage in the city becoming back to normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
I remember a few months ago when I was in Sheffield with @yorkie and he asked ‘why are there all these strange crosses marked in the road near bus and tram crossings’. I must say, I hadn‘t noticed them before, but we deduced they were a guide for people to stand two metres apart before crossing the road or tram track.

There were also loads of signs on the main city streets telling you to walk this way, queue this way etc. Either upright physical signs, or stickers or paint on the pavements

I noticed today that that these had mostly disappeared. What’s happening in your city?

EDIT: these signs were universally ignored anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ted633

Signs saying which side of the path to walk on have recently been removed from my area. Whether that's on purpose or they've just blown away is another question!

Tracked

Established Member
Doncaster, Yorkshire - Several hand-sanitising stations went up around town the week before last, display boards still had the Covid messaging on them and there was still the (very worn) 2m stickers on the floor outside shops.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Signs saying which side of the path to walk on have recently been removed from my area. Whether that's on purpose or they've just blown away is another question!
A high street near me still has "one way" system signs up though they are being completely ignored of course, who is going to walk down all the way down a street just so they can reach the shop they want the "right way"?!

LowLevel

Established Member
They've been falling to bits and blowing away for months around our way.

Peterborough Station has removed it's one way system today too.

route101

Established Member
A mate of mine said there's a sign on the Edinburgh/Midlothian border at Straiton advising if your journey is essential.

nlogax

Established Member
There's going to be a need to powerwash a lot of pavements outside supermarkets and large stores to remove signage from the last year. Inevitably there'll be some left well into the future hanging around like historical relics.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There's going to be a need to powerwash a lot of pavements outside supermarkets and large stores to remove signage from the last year. Inevitably there'll be some left well into the future hanging around like historical relics.

In the future, it'll be like spotting Network South East or Red Star Parcels branding.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The one way arrows and lines painted on the pavement in Stevenage town centre seem to have been renewed over the last few days.

northernchris

Established Member
Not noticed any signage for a while now, although may have just become that used to it that it no longer makes an impact! I have noticed though that the barrier encroaching in the road to widen pavements have mostly gone in Leeds city centre, so someone has realised that briefly passing others is unlikely to result in an ICU bed being required

RailExplorer

My local council has repainted one way signs on the ground about 5 weeks ago. They had almost faded from last April.

DB

Peterborough Station has removed it's one way system today too.

Leeds got rid of it (mostly) a month or two back - there are still some temporary fences but overall it's much improved. Bizzarely, they are now digging up the floor in the main concourse which has involved closing half the width of the main gateline. This is already creating a bit of a bottleneck even with current passenger numbers.

johnnychips

Established Member
^Strangely, they have just about finished reflooring the whole of the concourse at Sheffield and are currently doing the subway at Doncaster. Perhaps a good time when it’s quiet.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The one way arrows and lines painted on the pavement in Stevenage town centre seem to have been renewed over the last few days.
As they have in Penzance (done yesterday) and will be happening in Truro sometime soon according to local paper. Also noted on Penzance's empty streets this afternoon were two goons wearing 'security' gear patrolling, so close together they could have been joined at the hip, unmasked. They've ditched the illiterate 'street marshall' (sic) uniform they used to wear. It's very difficult not to feel contempt for this level of interference in people's ability to go about their lawful business or the cynical use of public money in trying to achieve... what, exactly? I'm far from being of the Piers Corbyn persuasion (on this or anything else) or being as hysterical as many on this forum on the 'freedom' issue, including some I'd either have expected to know better or not to have been quite so prolific in expressing their views and excoriating those they oppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.