• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iskra's Odysseys

Iskra

Established Member
Sounded like a nice little trip to Edinburgh & back. Ah yes the Sheffield - Doncaster service level, not the best heading towards Doncaster from memory either as isn't it the stopper first, then TPE [which loops said stopper at Rotherham] with the Hull/Scarborough train not that far behind [so arrival into Doncaster is only 3 minutes later?] Shame Northern never brought back the 2nd stopper an hour between Doncaster & Sheffield after Covid which would help spread the loads.

I think I also scored, 57303 on a sleeper move back when it was with GWR *opens Travels log Excel sheet*, ah yes 22 April 2015 from Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance [sleeper started at Bristol due to an issue with train crew from memory]
No, it's very disappointing considering that it is a key link between two cities in themselves and Sheffield and the ECML. It also doesn't help that XC aren't running all their trains on that section either still.

Yeah, it was a surprising choice considering many people would have had an opportunity to have it on the sleeper, but oh well. It is a mark of how far I've come since starting this thread that I'm now having a challenge in getting winning locomotives I suppose!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
The Master Cutler 15/3/24

It was a 0400 get up for this one, but I’m no stranger to that hour and it’s a lot easier getting out of bed when it’s for something you actually want to do! I chose the first bus as there are two services close together just after 0500, so that would give me plenty of time and a back up option if the first didn’t turn up. It was a cool, wet morning in Sheffield, but the first bus produced and was surprisingly popular for the run down into Sheffield Interchange. Here, it was a short walk over to the train station, where I’d arrived very early, but it’s much better to be over-cautious when meeting a tour in my opinion. It was also refreshing not to have a lengthy drive to meet a railtour, so I enjoyed the more relaxed start to the day.

A quick check of RTT showed some freights coming through the station so I filmed them primarily to occupy myself:

The Retro Railtours HST arrived from the Derby area with Rail Adventure buffered-powercars 43468 and 43480 sandwiching some ex-EMR Mk3 trailers.

IMG_4347.jpeg

I’d booked STD for this trip for value and I’m quite happy with the comfort of a Mk3 interior, it wasn’t the longest of trips and there was a lengthy break at the end. This proved a good choice as the tour wasn’t quite sold out and I ended up in one of the priority airline seats with nobody sat next to me, so I benefited from plenty of space and had a window seat too. The route was Sheffield-Chesterfield-Derby-Leicester-Nuneaton-Tysely-Banbury-London Marylebone and return. We travelled down to Leicester at a decent pace before slowing down from there until the Chiltern Mainline.

IMG_4351.jpeg

I did appreciate the slower pace on the Nuneaton line as I’ve not really had chance to see it properly in daylight and I found it a pleasant route. In the Birmingham area we got good views of the HS2 construction works and took a chord near the St Andrews stadium at Bordesley which was at least new coverage in daylight if nothing else. At Tyseley we called for staffing reasons presumably to pick up a route conductor and we got a good view of the depot including the historic stock and a pacer at the rear. From here we picked up the pace somewhat for the journey through the Chilterns. This is probably the most pleasant of the lines into London in my opinion and it was nice to experience it on a HST. We got continued views of the HS2 works, which really helped me appreciate the scale of the works and therefore the cost of it a bit more. In-between the construction areas the scenery was fine and nature seemed to be emerging for the end of winter, with deer and numerous birds of prey being sighted. The weather was showers by this point, and a little warmer than normal. At Banbury we were booked to call and dwell for 10 minutes but instead we sailed straight through to make up a little lost time. At Wembley, multiple 68-sets were stabled and we were shortly into Marylebone, a little early in the end.

This railtour was for the 125th anniversary of the Great Central Railway, so I thought I would take the opportunity to explore more of it in the break. Thus, I headed for Aylesbury Vale Parkway on a Chiltern 165. This would be new track from the junction with the Chiltern Mainline.

IMG_4359.jpeg

This isn’t my first time on a Chiltern 165, but it’s my first time in around 20 years and the interiors have deteriorated somewhat in the intervening time. My last trip on one was on the Princes Risborough to Aylesbury line on a visit to RAF Halton. I find the 165’s perfectly adequate and sat in the little quiet section up front which I had mostly to myself, so it was a nice ride. The route was also fun, covering London Underground’s Metropolitan line before diverging. The scenery was urban buy pleasant, definitely the nicest London commuter line that I’ve travelled. Additionally, the majority of the stations were historic with quaint features. Even more HS2 building sites were passed and on approach to Aylesbury Vale Parkway, more deer were passed very close to the line; probably the closest I’ve come to one yet. The station itself was a little bland, but it’s nice enough and does the job. As soon as I stepped foot of the train, a rain shower erupted, so I quickly too a photo and jumped back on.

IMG_4361.jpeg

I then returned back to London Marylebone on exactly the same train.

Back in London I used the facilities and then grabbed a Burger King. I’d been way more efficient than expected, so I looked at RealTimeTrains to see if there were any interesting workings around while the HST was on a mini tour. I saw some 68 workings were about so I thought I’d film them, and I was far from the only one. During this time I got talking to a young enthusiast originally from Portugal who was hoping to cab the HST and loco’s. During this time, I watched 68012 on a thundering departure which put a smile on my face. I filmed it (below) but I’m not quite sure if the sound comes across as good as it was as I’ve only watched it on my phone which obviously doesn’t have great speakers.

IMG_4364.jpeg

IMG_4376.jpeg

IMG_4378.jpeg

It was then time for the return journey, which was enhanced by the appearance of some sunshine, giving strong hints of Spring. The wildlife clearly agreed as I’ve never seen as many birds of prey along a route. The run back was a little slower, with us getting looped a few times but otherwise being an uneventful journey. The sunset was nice and it was a nice, mild evening. Best of all, there was a fire sale at the buffet to clear the stock, so around Birmingham pints of real ale were reduced to £2, which I couldn’t refuse after an otherwise dry day. Around Leicester it became £1, much to the merriment of those aboard. Sadly, despite utilising the bus to get to and from the tour, I couldn’t indulge further due to being in work at 0600 today. After the tour it was a walk up the hill to Arundel Gate for the bus back towards Ecclesfield, arriving around 2200 after a 30 minute wait, but you can hardly complain for £2.

Overall a great tour, good value day out, with some new route covered and the novelty of a HST into Marylebone. Thanks to all involved and the laidback stewarding made it a nice tour to be on.

Thanks for reading :) Next up should be a Northern Rail £10 ranger on Monday over the Settle/Carlisle and Cumbrian Coast lines, two of my favourite nearby lines.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Saturday 23/3/24

I had a rare Saturday with nothing planned, so I'd been keeping an eye out for what was running at various heritage railways. Initially, it looked like there wasn't much choice, certainly locally at least, but looking further afield there was actually quite a lot going on. I considered a trip to the Wensleydale, but they weren't forthcoming about what was running, so I decided against going there as a pacer was likely and I'd rather do the line behind a loco whne the stars finall align with my availability. Next, I thought I might finally make the trip to the Severn Valley Railway (I was booked to go there on the LSL Deltic railtour a couple of years ago, but it never ran), I looked into the line and it looks great but I just wanted the loco roster before I committed. The SVR roster was helpfully posted on Friday morning and it was a 4MT, Hall and a class 46 diesel. There is nothing wrong with any of those locomotive types, but I've had quite a few Standard 4/5's in the last couple of years, I had a Hall at the Bluebell last year and I've had a 44 on Peak Rail fairly recently, so none of it was particularly grabbing me, so I decided I'd wait for another spin of the traction dice before journeying to the SVR. I then considered the KWVR's steam gala, but suspected it might get a bit too busy for my liking. Fortunately, I was inspired by a post in the preservation section of these forums advertising that a rare visiting Jubilee class locomotive would be running alongside the resident Ivatt 2MT at the Lakeside & Haverthwaite railway for one weekend only. Jubilees are one of my favourites due to their understated power and evocative names. I have done this line several times as a youngster, so it isn't new, but it was my first visit in a long time. I also knew that March is probably an optimal time to visit this railway as it gets very busy in the summer season. I'd also spotted that I could do a separate and entirely new line on the way home, which also had an interesting locomotive and a steam gala on. That sorted that then!

The Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway

To get both railways in, required an early start. It was around 0615 when I clambered into the Iskra-mobile and made the journey over a moody-looking Woodhead Pass, before tediously circling Manchester, casually cruising along an empty M61 and then heading North on the M6 and A590 past a couple of former home towns of mine; Lancaster and Carnforth. I arrived very early in the end, but I wanted to get past Manchester before the traffic started. I was treated by both the days locomotives lined up together, both looking fantastic in the cold-morning's sun. I was the only person around at this point, but I must say that all the staff I encountered at this early hour were very welcoming and friendly.

Another ulterior motive for arriving excessively early, was the possibility of a cooked breakfast to start the day. Once again, the staff impressed me as they invited me in before the official opening time of the cafe. The cafe itself was immaculate and very homely, the coal fire being particularly appreciated. The coffee provided was excellent and the breakfast very hearty- a perfect way to start the day.

thumbnail_IMG_4420 (1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4427.jpg

Next, I went to the ticket window to get my tickets. The railway offers a day rover ticket at £40, but a return is £11. I do find the rover ticket price a bit unreasonable for a line less than 4 miles long, usually with only a single locomotive in steam. However, I do think £11 return is reasonable. I thus opted for a pair of return tickets so that I could do the line twice behind each locomotive, I was mentally prepared to do the line for a 3rd time, which would still be cheaper than a rover, but I never actually went through with this.

Onboard, the carriages were immaculate inside and the rear carriage has been converted into an observation carriage of sorts. I stood at the lead droplight on both trips heading towards Lakeside, and sat in the observation carriage on both return journeys.

thumbnail_IMG_4413.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4444.jpg

The Ivatt seemed to be struggling a bit, as it seemed to be blowing its cylinder cocks a lot and wheelslipping a lot too on departure from Haverthwaite (see footage below), but once it got going it was a solid loco and I enjoyed the run. The scenery is pretty good, and visiting at this time of year allows you to actually see it, as unfortunately when there are leaves on the trees you can't see too much from the line. I actually really enjoyed the journey back with this locomotive, sat right next to it in the observation saloon- I would recommend that experience to all enthusiasts.

Next up was the Jubilee, which was 45960 Leander this locomotive did not disappoint and was a lot more sure-footed travelling along the line.

I really enjoyed the run and it was certainly worthwhile getting up so early to do it :) This railway left a really positive impression on me and I'm glad I made the effort to get there.

After the second trip, I decided to head down to the next railway, which was about an hour away.

Ribble Steam Railway

I have to say that I'm not that interested in industrial steam, but one loco on their gala day isn't industrial and is so different, historic and stunning-looking that I just had to give it a go. There is also the added interest of this being a working freight line in the Preston Docks area. On arrival, the large car park was over-flowing, but I found somewhere to park just outside the gates.

First impressions of this railway were that it's quite similar to the Middleton Railway, Leeds. You arrive at the reception, then have the cafe and facilities, before travelling through the shed/museum to reach the platform. An all-day ticket here was a very reasonable £10, and the railway was very popular. The train was formed of a vintage carriage and three Mk1's with all sort of interesting locomotive changes and combinations occurring. Sadly, the vintage carriage wasn't in public use, but the Mk1's were adequate for accommodating everyone. The line is quite short, but I think the price reflects that and although you'd struggle to call the line scenic, I do think there is enough going on out of the window to keep it interesting in the docks area in terms of maritime/industrial heritage and the numerous waterways.

Without a doubt the star of the show in my mind was Furness No.20 and I hope you can see why just from the photo below. I think this is the oldest locomotive I've travelled behind now, and if not then it's certainly the oldest tender locomotive I've travelled behind. Of note, is that the Lakeside & Haverthwaite railway visited earlier in the day used to be run by the Furness Railway.

thumbnail_IMG_4506.jpg

The other locomotive running were also not without charm:

thumbnail_IMG_4476.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4487.jpg

I did two return journeys on the line, which covered everything I was wanting to do from my perspective. I think I managed my time just right across the day to be able to visit two in one day and still get a full experience. Both railways were great and I enjoyed both of them, you can't really argue with two lines (one new) and six loco's in a day with some real quality ones in there :) The drive home was a bit of a drag due to traffic, but I was home before 1800 and able to watch the football, which was a bit of an unexpected bonus.

Please note: at the time of posting, the Youtube videos in this post aren't all public yet, so please excuse the lack of detail, descriptions or any inaccuracies at this point, they will be updated as they go public. To get notified when they go live feel free subscribe to my channel.

Last edited:

barrowjack

The staff at LHR are always friendly and welcoming, and the food is great. Agree with the comment about the |Rover though, I paid £34 at the East Lancs last week for a day rover a much longer line and SNG, Britannia and Leander were running.

Was there this morning, the Ivatt definitely appeared to be struggling and at one point wasn't sure it would make it out of the platform at Haverthwaite!

Iskra

Established Member
Sounded like you had a good day to a couple of preserved railways

Other than the slow drive home
Thank you for commenting :)

The staff at LHR are always friendly and welcoming, and the food is great. Agree with the comment about the |Rover though, I paid £34 at the East Lancs last week for a day rover a much longer line and SNG, Britannia and Leander were running.

Was there this morning, the Ivatt definitely appeared to be struggling and at one point wasn't sure it would make it out of the platform at Haverthwaite!
Yeah, the price is a bit odd really.

Yeah I thought similar, just to illustrate the point:

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least they offer the choice between a standard day return and a 'all day' ticket which is what some preserved only offer knowing that most visitors will only do a single return journey.

Iskra

Established Member
At least they offer the choice between a standard day return and a 'all day' ticket which is what some preserved only offer knowing that most visitors will only do a single return journey.
Yeah, that’s true. A number of the bigger railways seem to be going down that route. It’s okay for those that live within a reasonable distance and can return, otherwise they are poor value. I think railways need to think very carefully before going down that route as casual visitors are likely to be deterred. I bought one for the NYMR and will definitely be making recurring use of it over the next year :)

Iskra

Established Member
North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) 1/4/24

Yesterday, we returned to the NYMR using the annual passes that we bought and used on 2/1/24, so effectively free. The date had been decided in advance in hope of better weather than our January visit and I suppose it was a bit better but not overwhelmingly so. I'd seen the loco roster had been an interesting one over the Easter weekend, so I was hopeful that some new, different or at least interesting locomotives would produce although I wouldn't have been too bothered if we had the Black 5 again. Over the weekend, the 9F, a North Eastern Railway locomotive and a 25 were out as well as the Black 5 we had in January and a Standard 4 Tank too. I was hoping for any of the first three locomotives as they would all be new to me.

The drive over was simple and easy on a wet bank holiday morning, but happily the weather brightened as we headed North and East. On arrival we managed to get into the cheaper car park closer to the station (Pickering), which had been closed on our previous visit due to flooding. Using our annual passes was simple and easy and I was pleased that this time there were no seat reservations (we'd got seats on the side of the train with lesser views on our last trip). We then had time for a quick coffee each before the train pulled in. This had been advertised online as a diesel hauled service, which I would have been happy with, but instead the unmistakeable sights and sounds of a steam locomotive wafted in our general direction from up the valley. I was very happy indeed when BR 9F 92134 rounded the curve into Pickering. I only had my first 9F for haulage last year on the Great Central Railway (GCR), and while it was impressive, the loco was hardly challenged due to the lack of any notable gradients on that line. Thus, I was hoping for the locomotive to have to work a little harder up the NYMR, and indeed I was not disappointed. I filmed the climb up the gradient from Levisham to Goathland:

The moors were very atmospheric and it was a pleasure to see the first signs of spring, abundant wildlife and the different colours of the moors. A very enjoyable run indeed.

At Grosmont, our locomotive was switched to the Class 25 D7628 Sybilla 25278 which I was happy with as it was a mainline winner and it sounded pretty good. It was also my first class 25 haulage since there was one running frequently on the KWVR in my youth. The descent into Whitby was impressive as ever alongside the river Esk with the towering former railway viaduct being as impressive as ever. It was a bit grey and cool in Whitby, so it was over to the fantastic Trenchers fish and chip restaurant for some warming and good value food. We then had a quick walk around Whitby, before heading back to the station.

I always enjoy the climb out of Whitby and the soundtrack of a vintage diesel, so this was another enjoyable run which I filmed:

I must stress that all my body remained within the carriage for this bit of the journey and the droplight was only open a couple of inches, with my phone inside it.

Back at Grosmont, there was a long wait and the loco was changed again. It could have been the Standard 4 Tank, or Black 5 Sir Eric Treacy, but the 9F appeared again. The weather had improved a bit so the windows were easier to see out of and it was a nice, albeit pedestrian return back to Pickering with an early finish so that I could get back to Leeds in good time for the football.

Overall, a great and scenic day out with two new locomotives, a winning mainline locomotive and all at unbeatable value due to the NYMR's annual ticket deal. We will no doubt be back to visit again later in the year, hopefully catching some more new or different locomotives and finally some better weather.

thumbnail_IMG_4546.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4550.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4557.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4559.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4571.jpg

Andy Pacer

Established Member
1430 Manchester Piccadilly-Shrewsbury. TfW Class 67 & MK4's.

I treated myself to first class on this one, as I thought I'd give the dining car a try if it was available, which I wasn't counting on.

View attachment 150067

The set looked great sat at Manchester Piccadilly. 67022 is my stalker class 67, I've had it so many times on the Welsh services, although not for some time now and not in its current livery.

First class was ex-LNER. First class service consisted of complimentary tea, coffee and very nice cans of water. You can then pay £19 for two courses or £22 for three courses from the restaurant and other drinks are available at reasonable prices. This format of first class offering did seem to confuse some regular passengers, one of whom thought she was on XC and resented paying for a can of coke at £1.50, so changed her mind. I've done dining before on the Premier Service a few times before, but not since before Covid now. I'd say the food quality was very similar and I think £22 is a reasonable price to pay. I enjoyed it, although the meal was a bit rushed, although that was my fault for dining on a relatively short journey. I had baked camembert, tuna steak and chocolate cake.

View attachment 150068

View attachment 150069

View attachment 150070
Apologies for quoting back to a post from a while ago, was just reading your Coasts & Peaks write up with interest as I did the ticket myself last month with another planned for late August.
Quick question, for your TfW 1st class, did you upgrade the rover for that trip or have to buy a whole new ticket?

Iskra

Established Member
Apologies for quoting back to a post from a while ago, was just reading your Coasts & Peaks write up with interest as I did the ticket myself last month with another planned for late August.
Quick question, for your TfW 1st class, did you upgrade the rover for that trip or have to buy a whole new ticket?
It’s no problem at all. I bought a whole new ticket and then paid for the food on top. It was an expensive endeavour, but I wanted to try it while I was on patch so didn’t have too much choice and it was at least worth it. I didn’t know at the time but the chef doesn’t board until Crewe going South, so to avoid having a very rushed meal like myself, buy a ticket to at least Hereford to give yourself more time to enjoy the meal.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
It’s no problem at all. I bought a whole new ticket and then paid for the food on top. It was an expensive endeavour, but I wanted to try it while I was on patch so didn’t have too much choice and it was at least worth it. I didn’t know at the time but the chef doesn’t board until Crewe going South, so to avoid having a very rushed meal like myself, buy a ticket to at least Hereford to give yourself more time to enjoy the meal.
Thanks, that's really useful. I only had a quick Mk IV trip on my recent rover, just from Manchester Picc down to Crewe - I stayed for the 3 nights in Llandudno so I was mainly after the class 197s but also had a few rides on the class 230s as I was doing stations on the Wrexham-Bidston line. Don't think i've ever spent so much time changing trains in Shotton!

Iskra

Established Member
UkRailtours/Pathfinder Tours The 'One Way Wizzo' 14/4/24

This was essentially a test run that was generously put into passenger service at a reasonable price between London Paddington and Birmingham New Street. The one way nature of the tour and it being relatively short by railtour standards, made accessing the tour easier and more affordable, as no London hotels were required and even with the travel time to meet and leave the tour, it was still a shorter day than some railtours that I do.

I woke around 7am and had time for a leisurely coffee and prep, leaving the house at around 8am, taking the Iskra-mobile the short drive down to Meadowhall station where a free parking spot was secured with ease. I then used the clunky TVM to obtain a paper return ticket from Meadowhall to Sheffield, just in case I had any phone battery issues later in the day. Northern 150271 then rolled into the station to take me the short hop to Sheffield. The train was fairly well loaded, but it is the only early Westbound train on a Sunday morning, with most services emerging from Sheffield at this time still.

thumbnail_IMG_4659.jpg

At Sheffield, I had a bit of time so grabbed some breakfast from Costa, before heading over to the advertised platform (8). Pretty much every platform number was flashing on the screens, indicating that they had changed, so was immediately suspicious on finding a 185 and a 195 sat in platform 8. I took a seat in the nearby waiting room, where I just heard a barely audible announcement about a platform change, and I crossed the platform to platform 6 after relaying the platform change information to a couple of other passengers.

Next up, was the 0924 EMR service to London St Pancras formed of 5-carriage 222016. Ahead of this journey, I'd had a number of emails stating that the departure time had changed from 0923 to 0913 and then to 0924. These changes had initially been for us to run via Barrow Hill, which I was happy about as it would give me a curve from Sheffield onto the Barrow Hill Line, so I was a little sad when the change was rescinded. Following the lengthy thread on the forums about EMR overcrowding on Sundays, I had taken the decision to upgrade my STD Advance ticket with a seatfrog upgrade to ensure a pleasant journey. This Meridian was booked to stop at every possible station so I suspected that STD would become wedged, especially on the Southern end of the route and it was quite a slow end to end journey time. I knew that the EMR First Class complimentary offering is a bit patchy on a Sunday, so I came with the view that if anything was provided that would be a bonus. The reservation system didn't seem to be working, so I took the opportunity to switch to a better seat than I'd been allocated (it was quiet at this point). Interestingly, first class menus were out on the tables, although I had suspected that this was an oversight from the night before. Shortly after departure from Sheffield the guard came through, and the passengers behind me gave him some grief after he explained there were no refreshments on this service, he took it well and eventually ended up distributing bottles of water to everyone in First as a token gesture. I still had my coffee in my travel flask anyway at this point, so I was sorted for most of the journey. The train did fill up in STD pretty quickly and continued to do so heading South. It was quite an enjoyable run down, probably helped by the sunshine and somehow we ended up arriving 13 minutes early into St Pancras, which is possibly a record early arrival time for me away from sleeper trains.

As I had plenty of time, I'd spotted an opportunity to head over to Paddington a new way, using the Elizabeth line. I know there's been a lot of hype about this line and there was a big rush to do it, but I'm not really into shiny new metro services, so I've dawdled and finally decided to do it when there was a genuine need. Interestingly, google maps did still show the Tube as slightly quicker, and it is direct too. Nevertheless, I made it down to the Thameslink platforms very quickly (once I'd remembered where they were- it's been a while), and I was able to catch a new class of train the Class 700 on a Rainham service, for a short hop to Farringdon, where I changed onto the Elizabeth Line, which felt very modern, light and airy. While I can absolutely understand the need for platform doors, they do make getting a picture of the train difficult. My Elizabeth Line train of choice was one terminating at Paddington, which was a good choice as it was quieter. This was my first time on a Class 345. Both of these new train types, were absolutely adequate, but I do struggle to be enthusiastic about them.

thumbnail_IMG_4663.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4667.jpg

Exiting the Elizabeth Line at Paddington was simple, and I headed up to Platform 1 to find the stock in the station and looking smart, with lots of interested tourists and passers-by. Sadly, 57303 appeared again, which I'd had recently on the BLS positioning move to the Edinburgh area and then also had it on the Night Riviera on hire from DRS many years ago. 57303 did look smart though, as did the rake of coaches.

thumbnail_IMG_4669.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4673.jpg

I knew that the narrow end of Platform 1 was going to be a nightmare for getting a photo, so I talked my way on to the end of Platform 2, which was a slight improvement as there were no people in the way, just a lot of bulky railway clutter.

thumbnail_IMG_4678.jpg

Class 52, D1015 Western Champion (new Class for haulage) arrives, filmed here:

I then headed over to P1 to see if there was a chance of a photo (there wasn't), so I boarded. I'd gone for Standard Class for this one, with it being only a relatively short tour. Every seat was taken on board and there was a pleasant atmosphere as we departed Paddington. The enthusiasts I was seated with were sociable enough, and I also encountered Francis Bourgeois on board, who is a pleasant chap. I was lucky enough to have been seated in Coach J, which ended up just one away from the loco, so some great noise was heard, which really added to the trip. On the run out of Paddington, we had the novelty of running non-stop through Reading Station and also running through Oxford at speed, noisily which was good fun. At Banbury, we had a lengthy photo stop which was really useful for those on the tour to get some photo's without too much crowding, and it allowed enough time to walk out of the station.

thumbnail_IMG_4687.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4690.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4695.jpg

The pleasant Spring weather helped with the views and the countryside was teaming with life and looked excellent as we headed North on an old Virgin Cross Country routeing. I clocked us travelling as fast as 77mph, but didn't get anything higher than that, although that was fast enough to be exhilarating and to have the loco bouncing around. We worked our way around the edge of Birmingham, before I alighted at Tame Bridge Parkway to get some external footage and get back home at a sensible time. I'd booked two sets of advance tickets for the return journey to allow an early return or a late one depending on what I desired on the day. With 57303 being very dud and departure from Tame Bridge being the only opportunity for some external footage, I alighted there.

While waiting at Tame Bridge Parkway a class 730 came through, the first I’ve seen in operation. I then took a 350 to Birmingham New Street, which was a lot nicer inside than the last 350 that I rode. At Birmingham New Street, I headed over to my XC train back to Sheffield, but with a vague hope of catching the 57 then coming back into the station with the tour, but I had to give that idea up and jump on my train instead or otherwise I would have had a long wait. The XC had arrived wedged, being only 4 cars, but after its long dwell at Birmingham it left with most seats taken and a few standees, but I do think they would have found one if they had have looked hard enough. Unusually, this XC service went via Nuneaton and Leicester to Derby, which is a long way around, was a first and seemed a bit weird being on the MML on an XC Voyager. I believe this was also my first time non-stopping Leicester station. At Derby, to regain its path the XC had a very long dwell so when doing revenue the TM pointed out that it was faster to alight at Derby and board the EMR up to Sheffield from there. This 5 carriage service was reported as full and standing, but I suspected this was more referring to the situation further South and I thought there'd be enough passenger changeover at Derby for me to get on a probably get a seat. This turned out to be a correct assessment and this was my first meaningful journey in refurbished standard class, which I thought was an improvement. As always, we crawled into Sheffield and then I headed over to platform 1 for a Trans Pennine 185 for the short hop to Meadowhall to return to the car.

Overall, a great day with three new classes sampled and some great heritage locomotive haulage, with a shorter and cheaper day than normal. Thanks to all involved in running this in passenger service :)

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks, that's really useful. I only had a quick Mk IV trip on my recent rover, just from Manchester Picc down to Crewe - I stayed for the 3 nights in Llandudno so I was mainly after the class 197s but also had a few rides on the class 230s as I was doing stations on the Wrexham-Bidston line. Don't think i've ever spent so much time changing trains in Shotton!
Yes, definitely worth doing some longer journeys if you can then :) I like the 230's for the novelty too, I don't mind 197's but found them really cold in January due to the door layout. Where are you planning on staying this time?