• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernOne

Very little happening in Ryde today. At Esplanade the platform entrance was blocked off by red plastic ‘crowd control’ type barriers, although the PIS was still working, advising anybody who could manage to read it to consult the printed timetable and telling the time. There were four more barriers, blue this time, on the track: one was standing proud, but the other three had fallen over. Not much was visible at St Johns Road: several of the old trains were still sitting around the yard and there appears to be a warning for a TSR at the south end of the southbound platform. Of human life was there none except in Esplanade booking office.
Going by the original plan, the line between Ryde st Johns Road & Shanklin was going to be closed for the first 2 months. Then the whole line for the 3rd month. So Ryde works may come later. There is a planning application in for Ryde esplanade and Ryde pier head to have platform works.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
There is a planning application in for Ryde esplanade and Ryde pier head to have platform works.
The closing date for objections to the planning application for Esplanade was only about ten days ago. So, if someone does object they may have problems with the timescale.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The closing date for objections to the planning application for Esplanade was only about ten days ago. So, if someone does object they may have problems with the timescale.
I've just looked at the planning register and the platform works at Pier Head and Esplanade were both approved on 20th January.

Chris125

Established Member
Good progress now at the south end of the line.

Track and ballast has been removed at Shanklin:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/355569249197459/permalink/427021858718864/
https://www.facebook.com/ShanklinConservatives/posts/2729435750720412
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159418553437755&set=p.10159418553437755&type=3

Lake is all but finished:
a1.JPGa2.JPG

The Up platform at Sandown appears to be approaching completion, using the same pre-fab system as Lake above the old surface:

a5.JPG

Brading is now well underway, with ballast being laid for the southern turnout and new signalling equipment beginning to appear, while the Ryde end of the Down platform is being rebuilt.

a3.JPGa4.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/groups/355569249197459/permalink/426597782094605/
https://www.facebook.com/RCRIOW/posts/162741342278088

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
The grammar and the spelling Police will be at Lake station soon. ;)
Anyway, thanks for the links to the pics and for the update.

philthetube

Established Member
The grammar and the spelling Police will be at Lake station soon. ;)
Anyway, thanks for the links to the pics and for the update.
Well spotted consecutive, lines with errors, I am ashamed to have missed them, maybe it is the Isle of Wight dialect :D :D

Gloster

Established Member
Well spotted consecutive, lines with errors, I am ashamed to have missed them, maybe it is the Isle of Wight dialect :D :D
The Isle of Wight dialect is a series of incoherent mumbles, followed by, “*******, mainlanders”. After seventeen years I still find myself thinking, “What language is that?”, and then realising it is a local muttering.

Rick1984

Should a new platform have an uneven surface and tripping hazards or is that just while it settles?

Chris125

Established Member
Should a new platform have an uneven surface and tripping hazards or is that just while it settles?

I think it looks worse than it is - more worrying to me is the walkway slope which has become a lot steeper with the higher platform, it surely justifies a handrail now and seems a tad steep for the elderly, wheelchairs etc?

DelW

Established Member

I think it looks worse than it is - more worrying to me is the walkway slope which has become a lot steeper with the higher platform, it surely justifies a handrail now and seems a tad steep for the elderly, wheelchairs etc?
In the days (decades ago) when I worked on civil engineering sites, our safety department always warned us against putting up notices like that, as legally they just showed that we were aware of the hazards but hadn't mitigated the risk they posed ... as a sign was not acceptable mitigation.

alistairlees

Established Member
I agree that this looks too steep - hopefully it is just an effect of the telephoto lens foreshortening it.

On a lighter note, thank goodness the platform is numbered as “platform 1”. I might not know where to get the train from otherwise. :D

K.o.R

I agree that this looks too steep - hopefully it is just an effect of the telephoto lens foreshortening it.

On a lighter note, thank goodness the platform is numbered as “platform 1”. I might not know where to get the train from otherwise. :D

Should have numbered it "Platform 2" just to mess with people.

D6130

Established Member
The Isle of Wight dialect is a series of incoherent mumbles, followed by, “*******, mainlanders”. After seventeen years I still find myself thinking, “What language is that?”, and then realising it is a local muttering.
When I lived and worked on the island in the late @eighties, mainlanders were referred to as "Overners" and local natives as "Caulkheads".

Chris125

Established Member
When I lived and worked on the island in the late @eighties, mainlanders were referred to as "Overners" and local natives as "Caulkheads".

In my experience us Islanders call other Islanders 'Islanders' - I've never heard Caulkheads used in real life and seems to be mainly used used by outsiders tbh.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
They still call them ‘Overners’ or mainlanders and lots of other things besides. They will argue about exactly who qualifies to be a Caulkhead, but (like Chris125) I have never heard the word actually being used in conversation.

Chris125

Established Member
I always understood 'caulkheads' to be something of an insult aimed at islanders, at least historically, so was never really used here. Whether that's true...

Anyway, finally some news! Listed Building Consent for Brading has finally been applied for, despite the platform works being well underway....

Search for 21/00195/LBC at https://publicaccess.iow.gov.uk/online-applications/search.do?action=simple&searchType=Application

The proposed works are as follows

• New platform front wall construction.
• Wall Strengthening works
• Timber sleeper to be installed between track and platform wall for support.
• New platform copers to match existing
• Partial reconstruction of platform wall with ramp
• Resurfacing of the platform with Bitumen macadam wearing course.
• Installation of Fastrack Mesh
• Straight lighting column to match the existing platform 1 type and colour.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I am trying to work out the Timber Sleeper between the platform wall and the track for support.

Any thoughts?
The 5th document on the planning site (link in post #437) shows the details, without an explanation. It looks like they are using them to disguise concrete reinforcement at ballast level.

Chris125

Established Member
The 5th document on the planning site (link in post #437) shows the details, without an explanation. It looks like they are using them to disguise concrete reinforcement at ballast level.

Work is already well underway on the underpinning - they are dropping these steel brackets into the ground every few feet, presumably concreted in, to hold up the platform wall and stop it collapsing when they lower the track... like it has at Shanklin.

a7.jpg

Birdbrain

Interesting set of photos. At Sandown on the up platform it looks like they haven’t raised the platform for its full length. I wonder if this will be completed or are they only doing enough to fit a train

Journeyman

Established Member
Interesting set of photos. At Sandown on the up platform it looks like they haven’t raised the platform for its full length. I wonder if this will be completed or are they only doing enough to fit a train
They may well shorten the platform. They were all originally long enough for seven cars of Standard Stock, but given the longest trains now are 4 cars of slightly longer D Stock, there's no need to maintain or raise the whole length of the platforms at the original stations. Smallbrook Junction and Lake were built with shorter platforms in the first place.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
6 week delay being reported in local paper:
It was originally hoped that the Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin route would re-open at the start of April following significant improvements to the track, infrastructure and stations. However, South Western Railway (SWR) has today (Friday) announced that the COVID-19 pandemic has led to unforeseen challenges, leaving the project team no choice but to push back the line’s reopening by around 6 weeks.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
6 week delay being reported in local paper:
Also at the bottom of the article there is this news.

"They will use this extra time to complete additional track works and bring forward elements of the project that had been planned for later in the year - including repainting stations and other minor refurbishments."

Chris125

Established Member
More progress at Brading - southern turnout in place, track lowered as far as the platform, and the cattle creep converted to a culvert.

c2.JPG
c3.JPG
c4.JPG
c5.JPG

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Apologies if this has been asked upthread - are Sandown and Ryde loops being retained in addition to the new loop at Brading?

Status
Not open for further replies.