• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

Yup - saw that, unfortunately am driving!

Guess I could put wife on it to go and check in while I drive around

but seems to be on its last legs with just one unit available today (Sunday) on an hourly service. Bank Holiday weekend too, full and standing (zero social distance) on the train I was on so just like the London Underground used to be ! Probably my last trip on these historic units.
Seems to be the same today (BH Monday), just one unit running. Was the same Saturday incidentally.

Turned out to be the case. On the plus size, it was (legally as authorized by the guard) free, so it was a fond, if brief, goodbye.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Graham H

Hooray, looks like they got another unit back from the dead as two trains running today based on departure board for Ryde.

VEP3417

i went over to the iow the other day for a ride on the tube trains, got loads of pics ect, not sure if to post them here or start a new thread

.....god that track is awful...not just awful, defective :lol:
i hope they plan to replace the whole lot :lol: if your not being thrown from the extreme left..to the extreme right...your being bounced up and down like a bucking bronco :lol: lucky thos seats old are very well sprung! how that train stays on the track in places nobody knows :lol:

having said that its probably a very accurate outer suburban london experience of how it probably was back then, really did feel like suburban london in places, especially going through that long tunnel and through highly built up area, very enjoyable, bit like how i imagine suburban london was in the mid to late 60s just before the steam days ended as thats the time period/condition most of the stations are still in :lol:8-)

catch them whilst you can! genuine experiences like that are getting few and far between......just dont try and drink a bottle of water or anything whilst riding the train :lol:

reddragon

Established Member
i went over to the iow the other day for a ride on the tube trains, got loads of pics ect, not sure if to post them here or start a new thread

i hope they plan to replace the whole lot :lol: if your not being thrown from the extreme left..to the extreme right...your being bounced up and down like a bucking bronco :lol: lucky thos seats old are very well sprung! how that train stays on the track in places nobody knows :lol:

having said that its probably a very accurate outer suburban london experience of how it probably was back then, really did feel like suburban london in places, especially going through that long tunnel and through highly built up area, very enjoyable, bit like how i imagine suburban london was in the mid to late 60s just before the steam days ended as thats the time period/condition most of the stations are still in :lol:8-)

catch them whilst you can! genuine experiences like that are getting few and far between......just dont try and drink a bottle of water or anything whilst riding the train :lol:

I dared my son to stand up and not hold on all the way. He did well, except at one place each way when he went airborne and hit the wall. He loved it!

Staying on the seat is a challenge, drinking attempts must be videoed!

MotCO

Established Member
I dared my son to stand up and not hold on all the way. He did well, except at one place each way when he went airborne and hit the wall. He loved it!

How do the drivers fair? They must be 'real shook up' at the end of a shift!. No full english breakfasts beforehand I assume.

DorkingMain

How do the drivers fair? They must be 'real shook up' at the end of a shift!. No full english breakfasts beforehand I assume.

I believe it used to be the case that the driver and conductor would swap duties at each end, and so the small number of crew are trained as both conductors and drivers.

trebor79

Established Member
I found it wasn't as bouncy when standing, I do think the spring seats exacerbate the motion, particularly where the time period between joints happens to coincide with the natural frequency of body on sprung seat.
Guard and driver seemed to stick to their respective duties on the day my son and I went for a ride.

Egg Centric

I did not find it anywhere near as dramatic as this post, fwiw.

I mention this because posts like this were part of my motivation in re-experiencing it.

Bakerloo line is more dramatic imo.

stuu

Established Member
The A stock on the metropolitan line used to be like that, it was possible to get airborne if the driver was in a rush

Journeyman

Established Member
I've always thought that bits of Island Line are a lot like the old Epping to Ongar line - an incongruously rural experience on a tube train that's seen better days.

hermit

It must be for 25kV electrification..............

Although my comment was meant to be flippant I have a feeling at the back of my mind that there was, at the time, a default rule that overhead electrification clearances had to be provided on new structures.

It seems unlikely that the excess height is because of signal sighting requirements - if that was the problem, a simple remedy would be to have the train stop a little further along the platform. No, I’ve always assumed that the height of the bridge reflects some inflexible rule that all new bridges must be high enough to accommodate overhead wires. Particularly nonsensical in the case of Island Line.

As a regular user of the station, I find it increasingly irritating, as I get older and more decrepit, to have to climb twice as high as necessary every time I arrive there. I have a friend who refuses to use the bridge and makes me drive to Brading instead to pick her up. Those who are unable to climb the stairs are presumably expected to go on to Brading and return on the next up train.

At least when the 484s, which are a bit taller than the existing stock, arrive, I will have the consolation of knowing that the excess height I’m having to climb will be slightly less than it is now.

VEP3417

your driver must have been going nice and slow/steady :lol:

that type of listing/undulation on a daily basis cant be good for the trains/running gear

i think theyre missing a trick not doing a special event for the last trains....."one last ryde" or something like that

shame lockdown/ect has probably put a stop to all that

Meerkat

Established Member
Had a very short ride yesterday, from Esplanade to St Johns. A fair bit of new ballast about.
no ticket checks and one end of the coach was taped off for the guard, which meant that along the pier the train was a long way from distanced!
Are they taking up the second track from St Johns to Pier Head - it’s unbelievably rusted!?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
No, I’ve always assumed that the height of the bridge reflects some inflexible rule that all new bridges must be high enough to accommodate overhead wires.

I would be interested to know if this is the case, and if so when it came into force. (In relation to a particular bridge on the mainland)

Vespa

Established Member
I have just booked a hotel and ferry for IOW Sept/Oct, as this could be the last opportunity for me to experience this train and general sightseeing.

It must be a pretty unique experience to ride an 80 year train in regular service.

Last week I went past Merseyrail Birkenhead North depot, I saw a Vivarail unit inside, which looks very similar to the new Island Line 484 train.

Last edited:

VEP3417

It must be a pretty unique experience to ride an 80 year train in regular service.

that it is.....experiances like that are few and far between these days and getting less and less (apart from heritage lines)

2020 seems to be the year everyone decided to get rid of everything old train wise

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I would be interested to know if this is the case, and if so when it came into force. (In relation to a particular bridge on the mainland)
When all the new DDA footbridges were fitted in the Southampton and Portsmouth area, in the years up to 2010, they were definitely made compatible with overhead electrification. When that actually became normal practice I’ve no idea, but I don’t think it’s recent.

I remember a discussion here where someone reckoned all new road bridges would normally be cleared for wires, unless it was physically impossible to alter nearby roads to the new height.

Rob F

We went on Island Line quite few times this August and found it generally much less bouncy than it was the last time we were there in 2013. Has the line speed been reduced between Brading and Ryde as we seemed to crawl along that section?

Rick1984

Video from 1989. I notice the bridge at St. Johns isn't there. When was current one built?

Rick1984

When I lived in Trinity Street recently I defo heard birds, if i remember, included one imitating a phone. Also strange whistling at night.

Rick1984

I notice even though the NSE livery looks very tatty at this point there are still cars in blue grey they must've been there a while as spares donors, not unlike now
you can see off end of Shanklin where now trees

Chris125

Established Member

It's not too bad at the moment, though sitting at the ends of the carriage does make a difference - there were still some surprisingly violent kicks the other day next to the cab.

Video from 1989. I notice the bridge at St. Johns isn't there. When was current one built?

It's post-privatisation, 2001 I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.