• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L+Y

It is only out of use from Esplanade to Pier Head: Esplanade to Smallbrook (both exclusive) is double.

I noticed this on a visit to the Island Line last month and wondered- when was the second track along the pier last used by a train?

andyc20050

Engineering works planned for weekends 03/04 & 10/11 October between Ryde Pier Head and Ryde St Johns.

Gloster

Established Member
#153 I have been on the island since 2003 and have never seen a shuttle on the second track, although I don’t go into Ryde every day (or even every week). I can’t remember if the line was rusty then.

Chris125

Established Member
After receiving money from the 'restoring your railway' fund, the IW Council are looking for consultants:

Isle of Wight Council (IWC) is seeking to commission a transport consultancy with appropriate skills and experience to develop a Strategic Outline Business Case (SOBC) and supporting work in relation to the reopening of branch rail lines on the Isle of Wight.​
A range of disciplines will be required to undertake this commission, including transport planning, transport modelling, engineering, planning, economic assessment, communications and stakeholder engagement. Previous experience of developing SOBC's for rail projects is considered essential.​
The SOBC will consider options relating to:​
• an extension of the existing Island Line service (Ryde-Shanklin) south of Shanklin to reach Ventnor;​
• integration with, and extension of, the existing Isle of Wight Steam Railway route to provide passenger services through Smallbrook Junction to facilitate a service from Ryde to Newport.​

Engineering works planned for weekends 03/04 & 10/11 October between Ryde Pier Head and Ryde St Johns.

Interesting, not seen any mention of further weekend closures before now?

MotCO

Established Member
After receiving money from the 'restoring your railway' fund, the IW Council are looking for consultants:

Isle of Wight Council (IWC) is seeking to commission a transport consultancy with appropriate skills and experience to develop a Strategic Outline Business Case (SOBC) and supporting work in relation to the reopening of branch rail lines on the Isle of Wight.
A range of disciplines will be required to undertake this commission, including transport planning, transport modelling, engineering, planning, economic assessment, communications and stakeholder engagement. Previous experience of developing SOBC's for rail projects is considered essential.
The SOBC will consider options relating to:
• an extension of the existing Island Line service (Ryde-Shanklin) south of Shanklin to reach Ventnor;
• integration with, and extension of, the existing Isle of Wight Steam Railway route to provide passenger services through Smallbrook Junction to facilitate a service from Ryde to Newport.

I'll do it for £50k. And the answer is yes to both. Job done. :lol::lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s probably a good idea to keep this thread concentrating on the currently approved upgrade, and not the proposed extensions that will almost certainly never stand up to full scrutiny...

MotCO

Established Member
Video from 1989. I notice the bridge at St. Johns isn't there. When was current one built?

Having watched the video, I note that the trains were 485 041, 485 044 etc. I thought that if they were class 483, their numbers would start with 483 and not 485, or have I got that wrong?

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Having watched the video, I note that the trains were 485 041, 485 044 etc. I thought that if they were class 483, their numbers would start with 483 and not 485, or have I got that wrong?
The trains in the video are the generation before the 483s.

fgwrich

Established Member
A Flickr caption suggests 2007 was the last shuttle, though that seems surprisingly recent to me - they tried them in the early years of privatisation but they soon petered out.
#153 I have been on the island since 2003 and have never seen a shuttle on the second track, although I don’t go into Ryde every day (or even every week). I can’t remember if the line was rusty then.

I too would be surprised if it was as late as 2007 - Looking at these pictures on Flickr would certainly suggest it had been mothballed by 2006.

I don't suppose there are any plans to lift / re-instate or at least tidy up this side of the Pier at all?

Chris125

Established Member
I too would be surprised if it was as late as 2007 - Looking at these pictures on Flickr would certainly suggest it had been mothballed by 2006.

I thought it was the early 2000s tbh, possibly during one of the early IW Festivals (2002-)? It might say in the recent RydeRail book if anyone has a copy to hand.

I don't suppose there are any plans to lift / re-instate or at least tidy up this side of the Pier at all?

Quite possibly, Network Rail are planning significant investment in the pier for this control period, but no details yet.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Quite possibly, Network Rail are planning significant investment in the pier for this control period, but no details yet.
If I remember from the original announcements, wasn’t the NR budget for the pier about the same as the rest of the project, ie around £25 million?

Chris125

Established Member
If I remember from the original announcements, wasn’t the NR budget for the pier about the same as the rest of the project, ie around £25 million?

Yep, I don't think there's been much done since the superstructure was renewed in the 60s so should be a big job.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
It is strange they went from class 485/486 back to 483?
Class 483 was the first available number in the 48x range. The others had been used/reserved as follows:
  • 482 - 1992 Tube Stock for the Waterloo & City Line
  • 485/486 - Standard Stock for Island Line (originally 4VEC and 3TIS, respectively, latterly 5VEC and 2TIS)
  • 487 - 1940 Stock for the Waterloo & City Line
  • 488 - Mk 2F coaches for Gatwick Express
  • 489 - Driving Trailers and Luggage Vans for Gatwick Express (converted from 2HAP Driving Motor vehicles)

Meerkat

Established Member
Don’t suppose they will get rid of the rusty mess of scrap that the tramway has become?
and replacing the grotty wall next to the trains in Pier Head would make a world of difference

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Don’t suppose they will get rid of the rusty mess of scrap that the tramway has become?
and replacing the grotty wall next to the trains in Pier Head would make a world of difference
It seems that there are actually three physically separate piers, and how that affects ownership and maintenance I just don’t know. A few years back the tram pier was used as a temporary walkway while the ‘promenade’ pier was given a new deck. I see from satellite images there’s a reasonable gap between railway and tram piers for most of the length...

cav1975

I think that the remains of the tramway pier, like the road/pedestrian pier belong to Wightlink as opposed to the railway pier which belongs to Network Rail.

Chris125

Established Member
I think that the remains of the tramway pier, like the road/pedestrian pier belong to Wightlink as opposed to the railway pier which belongs to Network Rail.

Correct. Incidentally the local MP mentioned today that the franchise shenanigans won't affect the "£46m" investment in Island Line by SWR and NR.

Waldgrun

A couple of quick questions, 1). Is the loop at Sandown being kept?
2). Is the double track from Ryde Esp to Smallbrook being retained?

If this is the case, together with the new loop at Brading, three types of service could be operated, i.e. 20 minute, 30, minute and hourly. Although with only 5 units their doesn't seem much point!

hermit

I‘ve been regularly visiting, and then living on, the island since 1993, and I’ve never seen it used. I recall that in the early days of the Stagecoach franchise the local manager talked of running a shuttle for busy periods such as summer weekends or the Festival, but I‘m pretty sure it never happened. It would have required opening up the disused down platform at Esplanade and the long-closed subway leading from it.

Dunfanaghy Rd

I‘ve been regularly visiting, and then living on, the island since 1993, and I’ve never seen it used. I recall that in the early days of the Stagecoach franchise the local manager talked of running a shuttle for busy periods such as summer weekends or the Festival, but I‘m pretty sure it never happened. It would have required opening up the disused down platform at Esplanade and the long-closed subway leading from it.
I suppose it may be feasible to single between St.John's and Esplanade and install a set of points at Esplanade to serve both sides at Pier Head. It would keep the passenger access to Esplanade simple. Still, I'm sure bigger brains than mine have already thought that one through!
Pat

Journeyman

Established Member

If this is the case, together with the new loop at Brading, three types of service could be operated, i.e. 20 minute, 30, minute and hourly. Although with only 5 units their doesn't seem much point!

Yes, no plans at the moment to remove any of the existing double track sections. May well change in the future, though, especially if the steam railway ever reaches Ryde.

hermit

The Brading loop will solve the main problem, which is the inability of a 20/40 minute interval train service to make satisfactory connections with a 30 minute interval catamaran (though except for weekday rush hours and special occasions the cat service has in recent times been reduced to hourly).

But retention of the double track to Smallbrook and the Sandown loop ought to give a measure of extra operational flexibility which would make it easier to hold trains in the event of late-running ferries, so finally putting an end to the bane of cross-Solent travellers - arriving at Pierhead on a slightly late cat and seeing an empty train departing down the pier. (But perhaps I’m being too optimistic - that would require the railway to adopt a more sophisticated performance measure than a simple %age of trains leaving on time).

Chris125

Established Member

The Island Line franchise did try occasional pier shuttles and 3 train/20min services in the early years, but with little (if any) advance warning and no social media back then they didn't attract much attention.

trebor79

Established Member
The Island Line franchise did try occasional pier shuttles and 3 train/20min services in the early years, but with little (if any) advance warning and no social media back then they didn't attract much attention.
I guess a lack of servicable rolling stock has also been a hinderance to such things for the past few years.

BayPaul

Established Member
More to the point, the passenger numbers to justify it have not been there for many years.
The Wight Ryders carry up to 260 passengers each. They would have to be pretty full for those people not to be able to all squeeze on a train at pierhead, so I can't see any need for a shuttle anymore. The old 'our ladys' carried over 400, and the conventional ferries before that well over a thousand.

Status
Not open for further replies.