• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
There is still a gap of several feet in the shuttle track immediately on the St Johns side of WFP 35.
I noticed that, it all still looks rather cluttered sadly. It would have been nice if they could have tidied up the infrastructure a little bit during the closure, although I suspect they're waiting on a decision on any new potential station / interchange at the Esplanade first.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
I noticed that, it all still looks rather cluttered sadly. It would have been nice if they could have tidied up the infrastructure a little bit during the closure, although I suspect they're waiting on a decision on any new potential station / interchange at the Esplanade first.

I believe a decision to remodel the existing station has already been made, there are no plans for a new building given the risk and funding available.

Doomotron

It's not in the four foot... but there *is* a co-acting signal!

I realised yesterday that the now-redundant signal on the shuttle platform (see below) might explain the lack of obvious change, with photos from the footbridge showing it uncovered again and perhaps a little wonky.

A quick walk up the pier this afternoon confirms both signals now show green to oncoming trains; some clever recycling which has presumably saved a considerable sum of money.

So is that signal on the left controlling the track on the right?

Gloster

Established Member
It shouldn’t be. There is WFP 34, a full height signal, opposite on the platform in use. A problem with WFP 35 is that it might be obscured due to the curve. I have no idea why 35 has not been removed as it is redundant: I can only guess that there are insufficient resources for the necessary work, including paperwork, at the moment.

Chris125

Established Member

Sort of? The signal on the right hand side (34) is still in use but must be hard to see from some angles in the new trains - so they've re-used 35 on the left to show the same aspect, 'co-acting' I think it's called.

Gloster

Established Member
There's still the signal on the right hand side, 35, but this must be hard to see from some angles in the new trains - so they've re-used 34 on the left to show the same aspect.

If so, then 34 should not be showing its old number as it is no longer a separate signal. To be honest, I can’t see how 34, which is on the inside of the curve with shrubbery on the platform, is going to be easier to see from an approaching train than 35, even if the latter might be a bit more difficult to see from a 484 stopped in the station than a 483. I’ll try to have a look tomorrow.

MotCO

Established Member
If so, then 34 should not be showing its old number as it is no longer a separate signal. To be honest, I can’t see how 34, which is on the inside of the curve with shrubbery on the platform, is going to be easier to see from an approaching train than 35, even if the latter might be a bit more difficult to see from a 484 stopped in the station than a 483. I’ll try to have a look tomorrow.

Is 35 often in direct sunlight or something, which makes it dificult to see?

Chris125

Established Member
If so, then 34 should not be showing its old number as it is no longer a separate signal.

Those were old photos; alas it's been the best part of a year since the last 483 ran through Esplanade, so the number may well have been changed.

To be honest, I can’t see how 34, which is on the inside of the curve with shrubbery on the platform, is going to be easier to see from an approaching train than 35, even if the latter might be a bit more difficult to see from a 484 stopped in the station than a 483. I’ll try to have a look tomorrow.

It may only be an issue up close, perhaps just the stopping position for 4-car trains - the second shot below does seem to show the signal's been turned to the left?

Island Line 483006
by George (L305 PWR), on Flickr

484003 Ryde esplanade 09/09/21
by James_Pilbeam, on Flickr

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
I had a look today and the signal has a new identification plate with two upper case letters at the bottom. It was too far away for me to read them clearly, but I think they were CR. They have also installed two and four car stop markers in the six-foot: both are a fair way back from the signal.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I had a look today and the signal has a new identification plate with two upper case letters at the bottom. It was too far away for me to read them clearly, but I think they were CR. They have also installed two and four car stop markers in the six-foot: both are a fair way back from the signal.
By the usual convention it would be same number with suffix CA, if truly a co-actor for sighting..

Cymroglan

It’s been so mercifully quiet here for so long! I hardly dare ask, but (gulp) is the line likely to open on Monday 1st November 2021?

Skymonster

Established Member
Earlier this week (up to yesterday IIRC) National Rail Enquiries was showing a half hourly service on the Island Line starting Monday 1st November at 05:xx. Today NRE is displaying only an hourly service from Monday with a two train service commencing on Sunday December 12th. With this very recent change my hunch is (a) service will resume on Monday next, but (b) they don’t expect to have sufficient trains accepted to run a proper service until mid-December. Relaunching with only an hourly service seems to be tacit admittance the project still isn’t completed, at least as far as the trains are concerned. Sadly, by mid December it will be almost a year since Island Line had a normal service, while the project was originally set to last three months.

MotCO

Established Member
Earlier this week (up to yesterday IIRC) National Rail Enquiries was showing a half hourly service on the Island Line starting Monday 1st November at 05:xx. Today NRE is displaying only an hourly service from Monday with a two train service commencing on Sunday December 12th. With this very recent change my hunch is (a) service will resume on Monday next, but (b) they don’t expect to have sufficient trains accepted to run a proper service until mid-December. Relaunching with only an hourly service seems to be tacit admittance the project still isn’t completed, at least as far as the trains are concerned. Sadly, by mid December it will be almost a year since Island Line had a normal service, while the project was originally set to last three months.

I thought that the delay was caused by the infrastructure not being ready (and delays caused by flooding etc). It now appears that not all the rolling stock was ready.

Skymonster

Established Member
I thought that the delay was caused by the infrastructure not being ready (and delays caused by flooding etc). It now appears that not all the rolling stock was ready.
The infrastructure took much longer than expected, but the trains have also been beset by software problems, and delays to mileage accumulation (due infrastructure delays) and crew training (due covid). As of last week, I understand only one of the five units had been accepted (and the fifth wasn’t even on the island). I presume this is still the case with the prospective launch next week seemingly downgraded to a one train / hourly service - Island Line has often in the past operated a two train service with only two units available and cut back if one failed, so I presume SWT has only one unit to use next week.

RodS

"Staff Trains" are showing on Real Time Trains for Saturday 30th October:

2U90 1050 Ryde St Johns Road to Ryde Pier Head
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:Q32153/2021-10-30/detailed

2D91 1150 Ryde Pier Head to Sandown
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:Q32150/2021-10-30/detailed

2D93 1350 Sandown to Shanklin
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:Q32151/2021-10-30/detailed

2U94 1405 Shanklin to Ryde Pier Head
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:Q32154/2021-10-30/detailed

2D95 1440 Ryde Pier Head to Ryde St Johns Road
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:Q32152/2021-10-30/detailed

Do these represent the official launch of he "new" trains?

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Both the County Press and the Islandecho are reporting that trains will restart on Monday morning. However, they are also reporting that heavy rain is expected...

DelW

Established Member
If Wightlink is still only operating a one boat service, presumably an hourly train would pick up most of the available traffic anyway, as long as Wightlink and Island Line co-ordinate their times at Pier Head.

hermit

They will certainly pick up the trans-Solent traffic, but in the past there have also been quite a lot of local users.It remains to be seen whether an hourly service will wean them back from Southern Vectis, and whether the timings are right for the school traffic.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The infrastructure took much longer than expected, but the trains have also been beset by software problems, and delays to mileage accumulation (due infrastructure delays) and crew training (due covid). As of last week, I understand only one of the five units had been accepted (and the fifth wasn’t even on the island). I presume this is still the case with the prospective launch next week seemingly downgraded to a one train / hourly service - Island Line has often in the past operated a two train service with only two units available and cut back if one failed, so I presume SWT has only one unit to use next week.

I understand they had some issues in Ryde depot earlier in the week which has prevented more units being accepted in traffic.

Chris125

Established Member
Anyone know if the foot/PRM crossing at Brading has been approved? AJ Wells have posted some photos to LinkedIn which leave me bemused: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ajwe...onstruction-activity-6859134600984190976-7MEU

Supposedly this crossing would be controlled by the signalman, which at least explained the head-high fencing.. but the basic waist high gates didn't appear to allow this.

Now (excessively wordy?) warning signs imply the crossing will be open... and some of the fencing significantly reduced in height, though not the sections at the bottom of the ramps which blocks views of trains arriving from Sandown. How the layout of this crossing can satisfy the ORR remains a mystery to me!

The re-purposed signal can be seen in action here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/355569249197459/posts/599060898181625/

Gloster

Established Member
I was there a few days ago and it was changing between red and green for a short while. I wasn’t able to check if this was in phase with the main signal or the Off indicator, but I think it was.

Rick1984

Supposedly this crossing would be controlled by the signalman, which at least explained the head-high fencing.. but the basic waist high gates didn't appear to allow this.

Now (excessively wordy?) warning signs imply the crossing will be open... and some of the fencing significantly reduced in height, though not the sections at the bottom of the ramps which blocks views of trains arriving from Sandown. How the layout of this crossing can satisfy the ORR remains a mystery to me!
Very odd. Thought the fencing strange inn the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.