• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Wight day trip - pics of the trains included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Weather looks OK on Tuesday 22nd so hopefully off to the IoW to play trains. Having watched a video on youtube of the hovercraft, the waiting area facilities and conditions don't look particularly appealing, eg vending machines rather than a cafe, and that route also means a bus to the hoverport. So think I'll pay a touch more and go via ferry from Portsmouth where the train meets the ferry, and on to the trains at Ryde Pier head. Should be able to do it all between 10.30am and 6pm and still have a pint - maybe around Bembridge.

I don't expect any catering on the Southern train Brighton > Portsmouth although at the port there should be at least a coffee shop?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
In theory there is limited capacity on the Fastcats, but it shouldn’t be a problem as you should be going against the main flow of passengers.

If you want a pint in Bembridge you have a few miles to walk from Brading. Still, a return trip on the line only takes an hour.

Howardh

Established Member
In theory there is limited capacity on the Fastcats, but it shouldn’t be a problem as you should be going against the main flow of passengers.

If you want a pint in Bembridge you have a few miles to walk from Brading. Still, a return trip on the line only takes an hour.
Yes, oops, I did actually mean a pint in Brading! Bembridge is nearby but quite a walk, and no direct bus from Brading. However the inn at the airfield is open on Tuesdays, which is a couple of miles away from Brading station, and is a tempting taxi-ride as that's where my parents used to take me for an evening out when I was a pre-teen holidaymaker!!

PeterY

Established Member
Some great pictures.
I managed to do the IOW trains back in February this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.