• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Wight Steam Railway - Infrastructure Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

cav1975

The Isle of Wight Steam Railway has a vacancy for a full time Rail Infrastructure Manager responsible for track, bridges, signalling, on track plant and other related matters.

Attachments

• 433 Rail Infrastructure Manager.pdf
    393.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Rail-Infrastructure-Manager-May-2021.pdf
    472.5 KB · Views: 2
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
That salary (£27-30k) seems very low considering the experience they are looking for and the accountabilities of the role. I‘ve seen a job for S&T Supervisor in Peterborough for £42k, for example. What do others think?

Journeyman

Established Member
That salary (£27-30k) seems very low considering the experience they are looking for and the accountabilities of the role. I‘ve seen a job for S&T Supervisor in Peterborough for £42k, for example. What do others think?
Heritage railways don't generally have much money. Also, if you live on the island, there's not many other jobs in the field to lure you away...

Gloster

Established Member
I have always suspected that heritage railways are looking to recruit people who have a good measure of experience, but want a less time consuming job. If you are in your fifties, after thirty years the joys of being on-call for twenty-four hours a day for several days, spending a wet Saturday night on a possession or having to stay until a problem is sorted have faded a bit. Working on a heritage line may occasionally involve long days, but your life is more regulated, while still being fairly varied. If the mortgage is paid off and the kids have left home (*), the reduction in pay may be acceptable.

* - The cost of property and the uncertainty of the job market make this less of a given than it used to be.

Journeyman

Established Member
I have always suspected that heritage railways are looking to recruit people who have a good measure of experience, but want a less time consuming job. If you are in your fifties, after thirty years the joys of being on-call for twenty-four hours a day for several days, spending a wet Saturday night on a possession or having to stay until a problem is sorted have faded a bit. Working on a heritage line may occasionally involve long days, but your life is more regulated, while still being fairly varied. If the mortgage is paid off and the kids have left home (*), the reduction in pay may be acceptable.

* - The cost of property and the uncertainty of the job market make this less of a given than it used to be.
Exactly, this is the sort of job aimed at an older applicant keen to wind down and relax a bit towards the end of their career, possibly while already enjoying a railway pension, and as such I don't think they'll be short of applicants.

steve_wills

Exactly, this is the sort of job aimed at an older applicant keen to wind down and relax a bit towards the end of their career, possibly while already enjoying a railway pension, and as such I don't think they'll be short of applicants.
I find your reply very ageist. Why wouldn't I be ok to apply, just because Im 31 years old ?

Journeyman

Established Member
I find your reply very ageist. Why wouldn't I be ok to apply, just because Im 31 years old ?
You'd be absolutely fine to apply. I'm only talking about the sort of people who typically might, based on the skills required and the wages paid, and in relation to the comment I was replying to.

Romsey

Sorry, i should have added a smiley or two.
Seriously, if you read the County Press in the Island, it does have a bit of a time warp about it. ( There were roadsigns leaving East Cowes and Fishbourne ferry terminals which read "Island Roads are Different") Just to give you a flavour, the right of passage for many younger teenagers on the Island is the first trip to the mainland without parents. The problem on the IOW is there just isn't the employment to keep young people on the island apart from caring services and running utility services and the mainland offers more opportunities and better pay. The Island has been becoming a retirement ghetto for many years. Unfortunately certain elements on the Island like it that way.

Gloster

Established Member
And the oldies then complain about the tourists coming over and being a nuisance, i.e. walking about, breathing, spending money, etc., but the jobs in the tourist industry make up a fair proportion of the jobs available to the young. There are frequent letters or comments in the County Press from people complaining about the tourists, usually starting,” I’ve lived here for seven minutes and I think it’s disgusting...” Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells has moved to Shanklin. (Gloster: still trying to get off the island after eighteen years.)

LCC106

Established Member
Very good points raised above, particularly that it may suit someone already receiving their pension. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.