• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jeremy Corbyn suspended from Labour Party (now reinstated) and whip removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan Carroll

He hasn't been expelled from Parliament. He is still an MP.
l’m probably overreacting to be honest.

I’m also getting anxiety about people thinking i agree with Corbyn’s twisted world view when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

I’ll stop for just now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think it's his life's mission to undermine the electable wing of the Labour party forever, something he's done with great success. :(

Doesn't he hold the record of being the MP who's voted against their own party the most?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I see Len McCluskey, as usual, has an insightful, and completely understated, take on events :lol:

LenMcCluskey said:
The continued persecution of Jeremy Corbyn, a politician who inspired millions, by a leadership capitulating to external pressure on Party procedures risks destroying the unity and integrity of the Party.

(Tweet, my bold)

And a quick look around Twitter shows that he's not the only one on the left using that language.

Last time I checked, persecution meant things like, having all your family killed, or being 'disappeared' into a secret prison and repeatedly tortured, or having your home destroyed and being forced to flee, etc. I never knew that the sheer awfulness having to sit as an independent MP, keeping all your MP's privileges except for not having the the party whip, could cause such intense suffering as to amount to 'persecution'!

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
I see Len McCluskey, as usual, has an insightful, and completely understated, take on events :lol:

(Tweet, my bold)

And a quick look around Twitter shows that he's not the only one on the left using that language.

Last time I checked, persecution meant things like, having all your family killed, or being 'disappeared' into a secret prison and repeatedly tortured, or having your home destroyed and being forced to flee, etc. I never knew that the sheer awfulness having to sit as an independent MP, keeping all your MP's privileges except for not having the the party whip, could cause such intense suffering as to amount to 'persecution'!

Yeah. I'm just thinking about people that might know something about real persecution, like people that lost everything, were herded into prison camps and murdered, like...err...let's see...Jews.

A lot of the shadowy "politicians" Corbyn associated with are just as dedicated to persecuting Jews as the Nazis were.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What if Corbyn starts his own party?
Good - all the cranks leave and get destroyed at the next elections. That is why he wont do it. He wont risk his cushy £71k a year for doing nothing of any constructive value. Oh except "winning the argument"....................

Journeyman

Established Member
Good - all the cranks leave and get destroyed at the next elections. That is why he wont do it. He wont risk his cushy £71k a year for doing nothing of any constructive value. Oh except "winning the argument"....................
Yeah. All he's done recently is undermine Labour and side with the Tories on multiple occasions. He may have been a good backbench MP, and is no doubt popular for looking after his constituents, but as a leader he was absolutely useless and actually quite dangerous. It's no surprise he never held a cabinet or shadow cabinet position, he doesn't have a clue.

Logan Carroll

I wish he would. All of the extremist troublemakers would join him, and leave Labour to the grownups.
Every party is just children playing politics, doesn’t matter if its Labour or the Tories.

I remember reading about an incident during the 70s when Labour won a vote on the creation of British Airways by questionable means (Two MPs had an agreement that their vote would cancel out eachother so they both would not show up, however the labour MP did turn up without telling the torie and the vote was won by a single vote).

This culminated in a fight in parliament where someone picked up a mace and was swinging it about (cannot remember who or why there was a mace knocking about).

JamesT

Established Member
Every party is just children playing politics, doesn’t matter if its Labour or the Tories.

I remember reading about an incident during the 70s when Labour won a vote on the creation of British Airways by questionable means (Two MPs had an agreement that their vote would cancel out eachother so they both would not show up, however the labour MP did turn up without telling the torie and the vote was won by a single vote).

This culminated in a fight in parliament where someone picked up a mace and was swinging it about (cannot remember who or why there was a mace knocking about).
Michael Heseltine was famously the person who picked up the mace and swung it around.

The mace is there on the table between the two front benches as a symbol of the Crown. Parliament cannot operate lawfully without it and it’s placed there at the start of each day.

He hasn't been expelled from Parliament. He is still an MP.

This is a bit of a funny one as he’s merely had the whip removed and there is still the chance he might get it back.

There certainly have been calls for automatic by-elections to be called when MPs decide to switch party between elections. I know in our system an election is for an individual, but many people will vote for a candidate solely based on the party they represent. If the basis that someone was elected on no longer holds, wouldn’t it be best to ask the electorate if they still want them?

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Michael Heseltine was famously the person who picked up the mace and swung it around.

The mace is there on the table between the two front benches as a symbol of the Crown. Parliament cannot operate lawfully without it and it’s placed there at the start of each day.
There were two other instances this century of a Member of Parliament laying hands upon the ceremonial mace during heated exchanges in House of Commons debates that led to their suspension by the Speaker. Both were Labour Party members of the House of Commons:-

2009 ... John McDonnell

2018 .. Lloyd Russell-Moyle

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There certainly have been calls for automatic by-elections to be called when MPs decide to switch party between elections. I know in our system an election is for an individual, but many people will vote for a candidate solely based on the party they represent. If the basis that someone was elected on no longer holds, wouldn’t it be best to ask the electorate if they still want them?

Well he hasn't chosen to leave the Labour Party. They chose to leave him!

On Moderation

(Tweet, my bold)

All very predictable that the usual rent-a-mob are backing "Saint Jeremy".

This article (on the Guardian website, not noted as a Tory paper!) about Corbyn seems pretty bang on to me:

I won't quote it in full as it is fairly lengthy. I will, though, quote the concluding paragraph as a representation of the message:
Those who can’t see this now have the story of betrayal that they have been yearning for. Poor old St Jeremy, they cry, victim of the brutal Keir Starmer, martyred for the satisfaction of the anti-Corbyn media. Spare your tears. The victim of this hideous chapter in Labour’s history is not Jeremy Corbyn. The victims are those who were scared and scarred by the vile antisemitism that occurred when he was in charge. The victims are all those who needed an electable challenger to the Tories, not the toxic and sectarian party that Labour became under Mr Corbyn. The victims are the many millions of people who depend on having a Labour party capable of commanding the confidence of the public so that it can effectively represent those it exists to champion. Jeremy Corbyn is no martyr. He is a victim only of his own arrogantly self-pitying, self-denying delusions.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Keir Starmer is merely trying to make the Labour Party electable again but those he is cracking down on can see no further than their own ideology.

brad465

Established Member
Keir Starmer is merely trying to make the Labour Party electable again but those he is cracking down on can see no further than their own ideology.
It's not just this, it's that they see Corbyn as the best person to lead that ideology but don't accept that leaders come and go, a fact that applies to all political parties of all points on the political spectrum, and they need to move on. Even if they maintained there ideology, but with a different figure fronting it, the whole situation would be better than it is now.

Corbyn actually resigned as leader on his own accord (i.e. he didn't suffer to the actions of 2016 on him), but those loyal to him still focus on what they see as good in him and his past, when really they need to think forward to the future.

I am wondering if Corbyn announced in the leadup to the 2024 election (most likely date) that he wasn't seeking re-election, it would be the biggest boost to the party's general election campaign above any other manifesto pledges. He'd be nearly 75 by this point so it's not beyond the bounds, but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't step down.

ABB125

Established Member
I am wondering if Corbyn announced in the leadup to the 2024 election (most likely date) that he wasn't seeking re-election, it would be the biggest boost to the party's general election campaign above any other manifesto pledges. He'd be nearly 75 by this point so it's not beyond the bounds, but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't step down.
What do you mean!? That would be the biggest disaster in the history of the Labour party! Honestly, some of the suggestions these days...

:D:D:D

brad465

Established Member
What do you mean!? That would be the biggest disaster in the history of the Labour party! Honestly, some of the suggestions these days...

:D:D:D
Forgive me for being naïve but are you being sarcastic or was I genuinely stating something silly? (It's not easy to tell online)

Either way he'll be going at some point, whether it's through standing down or through eventual death (not advocating he dies I'm just stating this natural phase of life to clear things up, even then I bet some Corbyn die-hards would demand he rule from the grave)

birchesgreen

Established Member
There is precedent, Kim Il-Sung is still the president of North Korea even though he has been dead since 1994.

ABB125

Established Member
Forgive me for being naïve but are you being sarcastic or was I genuinely stating something silly? (It's not easy to tell online)

Either way he'll be going at some point, whether it's through standing down or through eventual death (not advocating he dies I'm just stating this natural phase of life to clear things up, even then I bet some Corbyn die-hards would demand he rule from the grave)
Sarcastic. I tried to find an eye-rolling face, but couldn't.
Although I imagine there will be some people who genuinely believe what I wrote!

daodao

Established Member
Former leaders of parties fade away, so Corbyn's comments after the ECHR report was published should have been ignored. Suspending and then partially reinstating him has been counter-productive. Corbyn is a decent man, if occasionally misguided and not particularly bright, and the whole furore casts Starmer in an unnecessarily unfavourable light.

Darandio

Established Member
Former leaders of parties fade away, so Corbyn's comments after the ECHR report was published should have been ignored. Suspending and then partially reinstating him has been counter-productive. Corbyn is a decent man, if occasionally misguided and not particularly bright, and the whole furore casts Starmer in an unnecessarily unfavourable light.

They should have ignored him doubling down on his comments and saying the report was overstated and he wasn't part of the problem? What about the lack of apology, ignore that too? Cloud cuckoo land.

Sounds like a thoroughly decent bloke.

On Moderation
Corbyn is not a decent man, as his behaviour throughout this shows.

Starmer is showing some leadership, where the NEC failed.

On Moderation
He's far more decent than the vile BritainTrump.
Possibly. But just because Corbyn is more decent than Johnson doesn't of itself make him decent.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

brad465

Established Member
Jeremy Corbyn is going to announce a new project tomorrow afternoon that he says he's worked on since the Spring:

1607807380358.png

At this stage it's still speculation and may turn out be relatively minor, like a new charity or charitable cause, but a large part of his base seem to be hoping it's a new party. If it does turn out to be the latter, then there'll be trouble ahead if the core Labour party loses a large part of its base. However, on the flip side if it helps unite the remainder of the party it maybe more appealing to those put off voting for them by Corbyn (both in Tory ranks and being absent at the last election because of this).

Watch this space...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hope it is acceptance of his uselessness, an admission he facilitated johnson and all this mess and is going to retire into obscurity

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hope it is acceptance of his uselessness, an admission he facilitated johnson and all this mess and is going to retire into obscurity
Yeah I’m pretty sure it will be.
I think he’ll also admit that he was the least useful person to throw his hat into the ring and drag those in the country who didn’t know who he was into a pointless cul-de-sac from which there was no return, leaving us with no credible opposition at a time when we needed one more than ever, don’t you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.