• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jo Bamford completes Wrightbus takeover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Wrightbus have also said that it will be available in battery electric format too
Indeed, mentioned that previously, but forgot to in my follow up. Although i can't imagine the battery electric being as popular as the ADL/BYD partnership seem ahead of Wrightbus in that regard.

cainebj

Established Member
Photos of the prototype single decker in Ipswich are now appearing on Flickr (credit to the photographers).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Photos of the prototype single decker in Ipswich are now appearing on Flickr (credit to the photographers).

It's not a prototype but rather a full production model and one of 40 due for Translink.

cnjb8

Established Member
Guessing this the replacement for the Wright Streetlite?
No, the StreetLite is still in production. This is likely to be a replacement for the Eclipse as Wright don't body Volvo anymore, and so they can make a hydrogen single deck bus.

fgwrich

Established Member

Interesting, I have to say it's quite a smart looking vehicle - with a few hints of the old ALX 300 body. I'm a little surprised about the Mercedes engine though - what other vehicles on the market have that set up?

cnjb8

Established Member
Interesting, I have to say it's quite a smart looking vehicle - with a few hints of the old ALX 300 body. I'm a little surprised about the Mercedes engine though - what other vehicles on the market have that set up?
I think the Citaro uses the OM936, as does the six cylinder StreetDeck

CN04NRJ

Established Member

There's a small number of them already with Delaine and East Coast Buses on B8RLE chassis, think they were all built in 2017?

cnjb8

Established Member
There's a small number of them already with Delaine and East Coast Buses on B8RLE chassis, think they were all built in 2017?
The East Coast ones are from 2017, the Delaine one was 2018. The buses you are talking about here are the Wright Eclipse's. The new Wright bus is integral and replaces the Eclipse

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It doesn't really replace the Eclipse, it's more a heavy weight alternative and potential replacement of the Streetlite Max - Wright's equivalent to the Enviro300.

The issue with the B8RLE/Eclipse was that it failed to gather any large orders (other than the 15 for ECB) so Wright were hesitant to start up the production line as the orders they were getting were mostly from independents and only for 2 or 3 buses, as such they would often try and convince those independents to buy Streetlites instead. It should also be noted that Wright make more profit by selling a integral since it's 100% their product rather than 50/50 with Volvo. That said I'm sure if a big operator placed a decent order Wright would still build the B8RLE/Eclipse. They've already built a small number of B5TLs since Bamford took over and that was also a product that wasn't doing too great for sales post-2017.

I'm glad Wright are focusing on integral products though. Being on a heavy weight chassis this will offer a great "British built" :rolleyes: alternative for operators on routes where the light weight E200MMC isn't suitable. Interior capacity is pretty good too, 39 forward facing seats is very much comparable to the full size single deckers of the 90s/00s, while you also get the advantage of the second buggy space. This first example is built to 11.8M, it'll be interesting to see if other lengths are offered further down the line.

I can see quite a few First Opcos potentially buying them further down the line as B7RLE replacements. Especially given the clearance issues some areas have had with the Long Wheelbase E200MMC and Streetlites.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The East Coast ones are from 2017, the Delaine one was 2018. The buses you are talking about here are the Wright Eclipse's. The new Wright bus is integral and replaces the Eclipse

I know, the poster seemed to be suggesting it was a new body with reverences to it looking similar to the ALX300?

cnjb8

Established Member
It doesn't really replace the Eclipse, it's more a heavy weight alternative and potential replacement of the Streetlite Max - Wright's equivalent to the Enviro300.

The issue with the B8RLE/Eclipse was that it failed to gather any large orders (other than the 15 for ECB) so Wright were hesitant to start up the production line as the orders they were getting were mostly from independents and only for 2 or 3 buses, as such they would often try and convince those independents to buy Streetlites instead. It should also be noted that Wright make more profit by selling a integral since it's 100% their product rather than 50/50 with Volvo. That said I'm sure if a big operator placed a decent order Wright would still build the B8RLE/Eclipse. They've already built a small number of B5TLs since Bamford took over and that was also a product that wasn't doing too great for sales post-2017.

I'm glad Wright are focusing on integral products though. Being on a heavy weight chassis this will offer a great "British built" :rolleyes: alternative for operators on routes where the light weight E200MMC isn't suitable. Interior capacity is pretty good too, 39 forward facing seats is very much comparable to the full size single deckers of the 90s/00s, while you also get the advantage of the second buggy space. This first example is built to 11.8M, it'll be interesting to see if other lengths are offered further down the line.

I can see quite a few First Opcos potentially buying them further down the line as B7RLE replacements. Especially given the clearance issues some areas have had with the Long Wheelbase E200MMC and Streetlites.
The StreetLite Max is still in production, and if it isn't then that's a bad move from Wright. The market wants lightweight and as I've said, this bus is to most likely replace the Eclipse and provide a base for a hydrogen single deck.

fgwrich

Established Member
I know, the poster seemed to be suggesting it was a new body with reverences to it looking similar to the ALX300?
I wasn't suggesting it was an entirely new body - though it is largely similar to the Eclipse 3, but it will be new bus given it's integral origins compared to the Eclipse, and the design does have some hints of the now long gone ALX 300 (Eg, the curved roofline).

ClydeCoaster

Smart looking thing! Hopefully it has a promising future, even if it's mainly a mule for a hydrogen example. I'm somewhat surprised it just sneaks into demonstration at Ipswich without fanfare from Wrightbus though.

Any idea what it's called yet?? Also, what's the seating capacity, I saw above 39 forward facing so I'm guessing 44 or 45?

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
It will probably be announced when they formally announce the zero emissions version.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's an interesting question.

Obviously, First were Wright's major customer but aside from West Yorkshire getting Streetdecks and Aberdeen with the Hydrogen Streetdecks, they've been very ADL focussed for the last few years.

It's certainly an interesting machine and I do get why people think there are some similarities with the ALX300.

aswilliamsuk

It's not a prototype but rather a full production model and one of 40 due for Translink.
40 due? I've rather lost track of Translink orders, but I thought the initial order was for 14.

There appear to be substantial numbers of vehicles coming from (some of which, presumably delayed) 2020-21 orders prior to that large 145 vehicle order recently placed, with the following either delivered or in progress of delivery:

25 Optare Solo SR (1992-99, 0010-26) - these of course arrived over much of 2020.
30 Volvo B11R/SunSun (1200-29)
68 Wrightbus StreetDeck (3163-99, 3330-60)
3 Wrightbus StreetDeck hydrogen (5002-04)

The recent 145 vehicle order was confirmed by Irish Transport Heritage as:
80 Wrightbus StreetDeck battery-electric
20 Wrightbus StreetDeck hydrogen
31 Wrightbus StreetDeck diesel
14 Wrightbus single-deck (which appears to include 2501 that has been seen on loan to Ipswich).
(source for the new order breakdown: https://www.facebook.com/irish.transportheritage/posts/1648856128608306)

The appearance already of 2501 makes me wonder if the 31 diesel StreetDecks in the new order are actually 3330-60 and thus following on immediately from the previous batch of 37...

fgwrich

Established Member

Well, it certainly has a Voith (with retarder) as you can hear it in this video from Ipswich.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
40 due? I've rather lost track of Translink orders, but I thought the initial order was for 14.
40 has been said a few times elsewhere, but i've not personally checked and i'm not particularly up to date with Translink so it's possible you're right. It may be that there's subsequent orders due in addition to the initial 14. In the same sense that First Aberdeen have received 15 Streetdeck-FCEV but 25 are due all things going to plan to in total.
Well, it certainly has a Voith (with retarder) as you can hear it in this video from Ipswich.

Indeed, i'd imagine ZF would be offered if an operator specified as per the Streetdeck.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As the takeover of Wright has been completed and in the interests of keeping a tidy forum, I'm closing this thread. Further discussion relating to Wright, or any other UK bus manufacturer can be discussed here:

Status
Not open for further replies.