• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Joining the railway at 63?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peters

On Moderation
Discrimination because of age alone is illegal, even if you are close to or beyond retirement age.

However, if you going to get trained and that training will be funded by the employer, then the employer is allowed to ask if you are planing to remain in the role for a while after you have completed the training. They'll want to see a return on their investment in training, whether you're 16 or 66.

Nic nic

Only one way to find out. When I was managing HGV drivers I had a 71 year old driver who was running circles around the younger guys. Think he is still there a year after I left .
Not the railway granted but life experience was really desirable to me.

Class2ldn

All depends on the role, a lot of the railway is shift work, not sure id want to be doing that at 63, bearing in mind the normal retirement age is 60-62.
Fair play for wanting to do it though but as I said its definitely role dependant.

Stigy

Established Member
If you’re physically fit enough to pass a medical I don’t see why not. It depends on the role I guess, as to whether age could be an issue. The medical for safety critical work is quite stringent, and naturally hearing and sight are proven to take a bit of a knock with age. Only one way to find out though ;)

Good luck!

theironroad

Established Member
Railways are massive things with thousands of opportunities, so depends what you after.

Not sure I'd want to be starting out on pway or doing possession work 24/7 in all weathers .

Not sure if you could get a driving job, based on return of service after training. Have known someone start mainline driver training from scratch at 57,not sure how much higher it could go realistically.

Sure there are loads of jobs that could still start on.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I have read about people working beyond retirement age, 65/67, some for financial reasons, others because they love work, being active

Aictos

Established Member
I'm of the view that while the railway industry is open to all ages, those over retirement age should really enjoy their long deserved retirement and instead of a 76 year old taking up a career in which they may only work a extra 3 or 4 years, that position could have gone to a much younger person leaving school etc and allowed them a long career in the industry.

T-Karmel

I know a guy who started working in railway as revenue protection at 64. Now being 84 he is still working full time, worked through entire pandemic and it's only a month ago when he decided to go shielding.

sw1ller

Established Member
We have a driver in his 70’s at Chester and he doesn’t stop. He’s off like a shot when shunts are needed and he’s a quicker walker than most of the younguns. We also had a driver start with us a couple of years ago at 59. If you show as much enthusiasm in your interview as others then I see no issue. End of the day, they could take someone on who is 26, who could then give 18 months service and jump ship (seen it happen a few times). Or they could take on someone at 63 who is happy to give another 7 years before retirement. I know who I’d prefer if I had a crystal ball.

theironroad

Established Member
I'm of the view that while the railway industry is open to all ages, those over retirement age should really enjoy their long deserved retirement and instead of a 76 year old taking up a career in which they may only work a extra 3 or 4 years, that position could have gone to a much younger person leaving school etc and allowed them a long career in the industry.

Unfortunately for many, that 'long deserved retirement' may be in poverty for many who don't have a decent pension and need to work financially.

Seems the RMT have today highlighted a job advert from the DfT seeking civil servants to renew an assault on railway pensions, so be careful what you wish for.

dctraindriver

How many 76 year olds take up a career? And some may not be able to enjoy retirement as perhaps some won’t have a suitable pension to see them through due to personal circumstances.

And even if a 76 year old person gets a job and stays there for 3 years I’m sure the school leaver will have more than ample opportunity to have a long career should they wish too. Time is on their side.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I know of a couple of people who are still working well into their 70s and both don't necessarily need to work, they just choose to. I'm not necessarily talking about jobs on the railway here.

I would say when I reach 63 I hope to still be working but it would have to be a job away from shift work (definately no nights or 6am starts) and no pressure/stress/huge responsibility.

Its about finding the right balance and making sure you are doing that role for enjoyment more than anything and it sits right with an excellent quality of life which everyone in their 60s has earned.

CJ

2L70

On Moderation
I know a couple of recently passed out Guards who are near their sixties... go for it

Status
Not open for further replies.