• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Junction north of Miles Platting former station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Coming into Manchester from Hebden Bridge on the Calder Valley line, there is a junction on a viaduct that bears left just before you reach the site of the former Miles Platting station. I imagine it would have been constructed by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway...unless it was done by the London and North Western Railway to enable a link to their Miles Platting to Huddersfield line via Stalybridge.

Can anyone on the forum say when this was built and the operational reasons why it was done...and the possible uses it might have had.

As it is, it would have diverted traffic away from the lines into Manchester Victoria station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
If still in place, then I think you mean the Brewery Curve, it takes trains away from the Rochdale-Vic line down towards either Park (closed same time as Miles Platting) and Ashton-under-Lyne or Ashburys. I have no idea when it was built (I would guess at the same time as the Manchester-Ashford/Rochdale lines), or its previous uses, however, I have done it on a railtour, and I assume some freight would still use it.

4SRKT

Established Member
If still in place, then I think you mean the Brewery Curve, it takes trains away from the Rochdale-Vic line down towards either Park (closed same time as Miles Platting) and Ashton-under-Lyne or Ashburys. I have no idea when it was built (I would guess at the same time as the Manchester-Ashford/Rochdale lines), or its previous uses, however, I have done it on a railtour, and I assume some freight would still use it.

I would guess stock uses it to get to and from Newton Heath.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The curve was built by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and opened in 1906, which was 60 years after the Miles Platting to Stalybridge via Park line, and 58 years after line to Ardwick.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The curve was built by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and opened in 1906, which was 60 years after the Miles Platting to Stalybridge via Park line, and 58 years after line to Ardwick.

Thank you for that information. It must be used as the track looks like in good condition. It crosses Oldham Road on a bridge and I went there this morning to see what I could of where the line went.

My son-in-law brought me his copy of the May 2011 Modern Railways magazine and on page 52, as part of the 6-page article "Manchester hopeful on the Hub", there is a schematic drawing of rail routes in the Manchester area headed "INTERVENTIONS - OPTION 2" in which the Brewery Junction that we have been discussing in this thread is coloured in grey, as a link to Phillips Park West junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.