• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kepi-style BR caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFX

I was hoping somebody here would be able to advise me as to the different cap markings and to which positions they applied to in BR? Specifically, I'm referring to the kepi-style caps which had the piping on them.

While most appear to be blue with silver or gold braid, I've seen dark grey ones too with red piping.

Any help would be much appreciated and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong part of the forum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Foxcote

The grey with a red stripe were for the Railmen grades. Issued to platform staff and maybe others as well, along with a bright red tie. Circa 1965 I think

Dave1954

On Moderation
For what I remember when BR got rid of the name Porter.
1) Railman . single red braid on cap & cuff
2) Leading Railman. single silver braid on cap and cuff
3) Senior Railman . double silver braid on cap and cuff
and so it went on to Shunter and Guard .
4) Chargehands Single gold braid . Inspector double gold braid.
I stand to be corrected on all , its only what I remember.
regards dave1954..

Established Member
For what I remember when BR got rid of the name Porter.
1) Railman . single red braid on cap & cuff
2) Leading Railman. single silver braid on cap and cuff
3) Senior Railman . double silver braid on cap and cuff
and so it went on to Shunter and Guard .
4) Chargehands Single gold braid . Inspector double gold braid.
I stand to be corrected on all , its only what I remember.
regards dave1954..
Pretty sure that the Leading Railman was two red markings on the cuff and then it went to blue on cap and cuffs for Senior Railman, silver braid was for guards and gold for Inspectors. IIRC Area Managers and such-like had a silver and / or gold oak leaf design braid and if signalmen were issued with hats then guessing they would be black to match the plain black zip-up jacket that was issued.

Also stand to be corrected as it was a long time ago!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Any help would be much appreciated and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong part of the forum.
Railway History & Nostalgia is perhaps the best place for a discussion on old railway uniforms, unless you're wanting to discuss specifically buying/selling items of uniform, in which case Modelling, Memorabilia & Publications would be most appropriate.

Dave1954

On Moderation
Unsure about the 2 red braids 33056 but I could be wrong.
We need someone on here who went through the grades.
When I joined BR in 1973 I had to do a 3 month probational
period as a Railman , then I applied for a Guard/Shunting
course where I skipped through the grades when I passed out.
regards Dave1954 .

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry Yorkie , was typing as you were posting . Regards Dave1954..

PFX

Thanks for the replies thus far. I now know far more about these than I did.

Am I correct in thinking Railman was the bottom rung of the ladder then?

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
The grey with a red stripe were for the Railmen grades. Issued to platform staff and maybe others as well, along with a bright red tie. Circa 1965 I think
This hat was part of the new corporate image that came out in 1965, along with the blue livery, double-arrow symbol, the corporate name British Rail, and the rest. The new uniforms, all with hat, were prominent in the publicity.

PFX

Tried to get hold of the book 'British Rail - A Journey by Design' which I'd hoped would answer this and other uniform questions. Unfortunately got sent the wrong book and the company don't have the one I ordered.

I know there were a number of cap designs prior to switching to the more common style of peak cap in later BR years.

Taunton

Established Member
Unfortunately at the time all the publicity was done, in 1965, colour reprographics were relatively in their infancy, and items featuring this, such as the extended piece in Modern Railways of the time, are generally in black/white, with just a few colour items. Most professional photographs of the period were still shot in b/w as well. This is obviously relevant if you want to see the coloured materials used.

bronzeonion

It's a shame these caps are not common these days with modern TOCs, much better for identifying staff from a distance than a tacky high vis vest!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I saw some of those kepi caps on sale at the Crewe rail centre a few weeks ago.

I quite liked the navy blue wool pullovers that BR Staff were issued with too.

davetheguard

Established Member
Tried to get hold of the book 'British Rail - A Journey by Design' which I'd hoped would answer this and other uniform questions. Unfortunately got sent the wrong book and the company don't have the one I ordered.

I know there were a number of cap designs prior to switching to the more common style of peak cap in later BR years.

I used to own this book and from memory it did indeed have some detail on uniform design including illustrations. Unfortunately I no longer have it, but perhaps you'll be lucky and stumble across it in a second hand bookshop?

I seem to remember a thread on here about good second hand railway bookshops recently. The one on Stamford station supposedly has a vast stock: perhaps you might have some luck there?

In fact, I've just had a quick look on the internet, and it's definitely available - might cost you £15 though! There seem to be two versions: the original 1948 - 78 (which is the one I used to have); and a later 1948 - 83 edition.

Last edited:

PFX

Thanks Dave. The ones I found were 30 quid a pop. It's the 83 one I'm after so I'll have another look. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.