• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kerr's Miniature Railway to close

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotTrains

I have just found out the sad news that Kerr's Miniature Railway, Scotland's oldest miniature railway, is to close after 85 years due to low passenger numbers.

They are to continue running on weekends 11am to 4pm until the end of Sep, weather permitting. Anyone wanting a final ride is urged to do so soon!

It was announced on their Facebook page.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
I am old enough to remember the miniature railway in Battersea Park, London.

It is always sad when something like this happens.

I don't suppose C***D-19 helped matters, as the railway would have been closed for quite a while.

najaB

Veteran Member
Perhaps it could be sold and rebuilt elsewhere
I don't think the problem is the location, tbh. It's by the seaside in a reasonably busy town. If anything it needed (needs?) to be extended to be a complete loop rather than being such a short there-and-back.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

timmydunn

As John says in the video, things were made perilous by the relatively recent moving of other recreation facilities in the park - meaning the railway was then set far away from the main footfall. Numbers have dwindled since. It is a great shame; I am sure that an announcement will be made in due course as to the future of the equipment. In the meantime, do try and visit - or head to the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway, John Kerr's co-venture with chum Peter Bryant.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Went down today to visit with my son. Was busy in the sunshine but I'm sure an element of the numbers are from those coming for a final visit.

It's a shame, you can see why the location is struggling a little now the centre of gravity of West Links is further up. It's also the only out and back style miniature railway of the 7 in Scotland and that makes the operation a little harder for them.

John and the others are doing a great job but maybe its time has come. Hope he finds solace in how many people have come to enjoy one last ride.

theironroad

Established Member
Never been on the train, but seen it a few times when passing on the mainline.

However, that Facebook video almost had me crying by the end.

I feel for the guy, he's obviously had so much invested in the railway emotionally and to see it slowly withering away and his and others (in his words) enthusiasm falls with low ridership is sad. I hope, as he wishes, that there will be a good turnout for the final runs so they can finish on a high. .

Status
Not open for further replies.