• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross ‘uncrossed’ Layout/Remodelling - Information and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I was thinking myself why the didn't keep platform 10 in and connected for 5 coach services only. But then the island platform did get a little congested in the peak when service arrived at 10 and another one was about to depart from 11 and the floods of people were pouring through from the barrier.

However I guess I should remember, the Thameslink services are supposed to be vacating, so in reality I suspect 9 & 10 will probably only be used for long distance services. (If the London - Cambridge service ever leaves). With the peak GN services likely to the only other regular users.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcq

With all the signalling etc now moved to York, does the old KX box have any residual operational purpose?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
With all the signalling etc now moved to York, does the old KX box have any residual operational purpose?
No, it was reported completely closed as a signal centre back when they swapped sides mid-project. But that’s not to say it is empty of all equipment, I did see somewhere that the area S&T staff would be using it as a work base and offices.

Mcq

No, it was reported completely closed as a signal centre back when they swapped sides mid-project. But that’s not to say it is empty of all equipment, I did see somewhere that the area S&T staff would be using it as a work base and offices.
Thank you.

ashkeba

Established Member
However I guess I should remember, the Thameslink services are supposed to be vacating, so in reality I suspect 9 & 10 will probably only be used for long distance services. (If the London - Cambridge service ever leaves). With the peak GN services likely to the only other regular users.
Where are off-peak GN 8-car trains to Ely and King's Lynn expected to use in normal operation in the future?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Where are off-peak GN 8-car trains to Ely and King's Lynn expected to use in normal operation in the future?
If you look up RTT for a future date all the booked platforming is shown and there’s no obvious pattern to it. Eg for tomorrow, 0600-2000 departures to Ely or Kings Lynn are:

Failed Unit

Established Member
They are currently in the main shed as today the 9&10 seem to be exclusively for the Cambridge service. They may of course use these platforms but you will be surprised how many of these in normal times are 12-car (At least from KX - Cambridge)

(to prove me wrong, we have an Express on 9 now ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.