• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross ‘uncrossed’ Layout/Remodelling - Information and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
Just arrived into Kings X. Can’t quite believe how big the station throat looks now!

Was very busy with ballast trucks and diggers moving about. Platform extensions all look very near completion. When arriving into Kings X via LNER, do trains usually enter the station through the second tunnel from the right when looking north?
Pre-remodelling, I believe that was indeed the case. Faster GN services, GC & HT all gravitated towards that tunnel (Gas Works Tunnel Central Bore), with its neighbour on the left (Gas Works Tunnel Western Bore) mainly used for slower GN/Thameslink services, although GC & HT have ended up there on a few occasions.

Once Gas Works Tunnel Eastern Bore is reopen to passenger traffic, I'd expect LNER/GC/HT/faster GN services to be its main user.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

och aye

Once these works are done, am I right in saying this will be all the Kings Cross station redevelopment works completed?

och aye

Excellent. The place has felt like a constant building site for years. As someone who pops down to London from time to time, I can still remember the area and station from the early 90s and still pinch myself when I look around the place now. If someone back then had told me that the station would itself become a tourist destination in its own right, with queues literally going out the door with people wanting to get a photo of themselves with a luggage trolley half embedded in a wall, I'd have been making a swift phone call to the men in white coats.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just had a scan around a few of the usual Twitter hashtags, and the various posts are now reporting track installation is complete for P0 - P6, and installation of OHLE has been underway a few days now. I think track work between the two sets of tunnels has also been complete for a while now.

Mcq

Any pics would be gratefully received for those of us who don't do twitter - many thanks.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Any pics would be gratefully received for those of us who don't do twitter - many thanks.
You don’t actually need to join Twitter, you can still see it by following links in various earlier posts in this thread, or just open Twitter in a browser and search using (for example) #eastcoastupgrade or #kingsuncrossed.

Or failing that, a direct link: https://twitter.com/ECMLupgrade/status/1377358968738115584

D365

Veteran Member
Once Gas Works Tunnel Eastern Bore is reopen to passenger traffic, I'd expect LNER/GC/HT/faster GN services to be its main user.
Just as easy to say, all bar Thameslink. Or am I missing anyone!

59CosG95

Established Member
From Twitter:
2 of 3 anchor portal booms (not Series 1, to the relief of the anti-S1 brigade!) have been installed over the platforms.
1 over P1/P2, 1 over P5/P6 (with an extension over P3/P4) and the leg of 1 over P7/P8 waiting until the western side gets turned over to the remodelling team. P0, being a single line, doesn't require one.

Attachments

• 20210407_134046.jpg
    20210407_134046.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 331

Turbo004

Does anyone know when the Eastern Bore will open for passenger traffic? Many thanks in advance and apologies if it is posted up thread. I’m looking forward to travelling to London to go travel through it as I’m fairly sure I never have.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know when the Eastern Bore will open for passenger traffic? Many thanks in advance and apologies if it is posted up thread. I’m looking forward to travelling to London to go travel through it as I’m fairly sure I never have.
It is intended to be Mon 26 April, after the weekend closure to switch sides of the station. RTT shows services using platforms that can only be reached through the eastern bore, (ie P0 and P1).

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I did spot that too, a little reminiscent of some of the ones at Reading. :lol:
There is a huge variety of components and insulator types used in the tunnels, and in the area between the sets of tunnels, (ie near the HS1 portal), if you check out the main Twitter feeds mentioned in earlier posts:

eg this one: https://twitter.com/Jay_Tee71/status/1380951266080215041/photo/1

i wouldn’t know where to start describing what type of OHLE hardware it is, I’m sure someone will know...

Last edited:

liam456

Is that a problem? Nobody seems to find it particularly confusing.
No, not at all! It’s just that I see Platform 0’s as a way to squeeze new platforms into old interlockings (is this generally correct?) and thought that with the significant track layout change they would take the time to reset the platform numbers.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
No, not at all! It’s just that I see Platform 0’s as a way to squeeze new platforms into old interlockings (is this generally correct) and thought that with the significant track layout change they would take the time to reset the platform numbers.

I’m not sure it’s optimal though. Ideally it should be remembered if it would be reasonably practicable to do so.

Probably at the point now that people are so familiar with the present numbering, re-numbering the numbering the lot would be more confusing overall.

Glenn1969

Established Member
IF they renumbered KX where would Platform 9 3/4 have to move to- could the area concerned cope with all the Potter fans converging on it?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
IF they renumbered KX where would Platform 9 3/4 have to move to- could the area concerned cope with all the Potter fans converging on it?

Actually, renumbering would place it in the correct position. Currently it is between 8 and 9.

takno

Established Member
Right now it's on the bufferstops in the suburban shed. Renumbering would put it between the main shed and the suburban shed, which would seem ideal.

Veteran Member
Right now it's on the bufferstops in the suburban shed. Renumbering would put it between the main shed and the suburban shed, which would seem ideal.
When I was last at KGX it was on the new concourse a but beyond the First Class lounge. So about 8 1/2 - but being a Muggle I cannot confirm its exact location :)

YorksLad12

Established Member
When I was last at KGX it was on the new concourse a but beyond the First Class lounge. So about 8 1/2 - but being a Muggle I cannot confirm its exact location :)
Indeed. It's between P8 and P9, but between the ninth and tenth platforms since we're numbering from zero. On the one hand I'm in favour of renumbering to start at 1 but it's not as simple as just swapping numbers about; there's signalling, electronic data, signage... and it's not as if we have to worry about a platform -1 at Kings Cross. Unlike - potentially - at Leeds or York...

Status
Not open for further replies.