• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross ‘uncrossed’ Layout/Remodelling - Information and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class26

Film of work during March and April 2021:
Interesting to see the new approach and departure speed limits (seen at 20.32). Trains seem to be arriving and departing much quicker than the previous caution. ie 11.40, 18.17, 19.20 and 21.50

Ploughman

Established Member
In nearly every clip you can spot workmen standing / sitting idle using phones or other devices.
Some may be official but I doubt all are.
In any PTS I thought all phones should be off unless required.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
In nearly every clip you can spot workmen standing / sitting idle using phones or other devices.

But are they "lineside" or within the worksite?

a340egkk

This isn’t the case, you can use your phone whenever in a position of safety.
And have to, given what phones are used for these days, and particularly in failure scenarios, the number of calls you get.

whoosh

Established Member
Pretty sure if you started a 12-car platform at the present 9/10/11 buffers, the ramps would be touching the mouth of Gasworks Tunnel!

The current standage for 8-cars is very tight for signal sighting etc, especially for the gangwayed Class 387 units.

Yes, the old platform 10 (which is disappearing) had a caveat of a second driver to be provided for departure if an 8 car 387 as it was a right hand side signal that couldn't be seen from the drivers seat on those units due to the poor visibility with the gangway being in the way.

I would think it’s a bigger improvement to departure speeds, but now without parallel moves available as there’s only one route in or out from line F.

But I since see that post #191 reckons arrivals into P9/10 remain at 15 mph.

My apologies, I got that bit wrong in post 191. It's 20mph into 9 and 10 (same as the other platforms). But it is still 15mph out of platforms 9 and 10.
I have edited the post to correct this.

I believe the 15mph out of those platforms is due to signal sighting, not the platform signal, but the next one protecting Gas Works Tunnel very shortly afterwards.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A recent tweet about work on the west side:

@ECMLupgrade said:
While our #EastCoastUpgrade teams have been rebuilding Platform 8 at King’s Cross, they’ve discovered these fantastic brick arches dating from when it was built in 1852.

They’re now restoring & re-using them - unfortunately, when work is complete they’ll be covered up again!
1621029992726.png1621030006656.png

And a couple of photos from Jay_Tee71

1621030159656.png

Mcq

Very grateful for the pics - thank you.
One shows a loco coming into a tunnel - can anyone orient me please?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Very grateful for the pics - thank you.
One shows a loco coming into a tunnel - can anyone orient me please?
That's the (currently closed) west bore of Gasworks tunnels looking towards Kings Cross.

MARK

Mcq

Surely it is looking away from Kings Cross or am i looking at the wrong picture?
1621089406897.png

This is the excellent pic (thanks to Joanna@Jay_Tee71) I'm referring to - is the photographer facing KX of FP is the question - in the West Gasworks tunnel?
Hence which of the two tracks has been removed?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This is the excellent pic I'm referring to - is the photographer facing KX of FP is the question - in the West Gasworks tunnel?
Hence which of the two tracks has been removed?
The flattened lower area of the tunnel roof matches the same area in the other tunnels and is under the canal, so yes, it must be looking towards the station.

Mcq

Thanks for speedy replies - so the missing track is the most extreme westerly one?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
The flattened lower area of the tunnel roof matches the same area in the other tunnels and is under the canal, so yes, it must be looking towards the station.
Agreed - That is the section of tunnel with lower roof under the Regents Canal. The old track C / new track E is the one still in situ and old D / new F is the lifted one.

Mcq

Many thanks
See the signs for 10b and 11b still there on last pic :s

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
Just saw a photo on Twitter of the slightly widened end of the former P10/11 platform, and it has had tactile slabs installed on both sides. I would have thought the old P10 side should be fenced off and have no tactiles, because there‘s no longer any track? Are the new tactiles an error?

Is that even slightly widened? It looks like they've refurbished the platform as-is and just removed the track

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is that even slightly widened? It looks like they've refurbished the platform as-is and just removed the track
It’s only slightly widened at the very end, but the height has been altered like many others as the track is lower in the whole throat area. The drawing I posted (in #227) shows exactly how small the area affected is.

Last edited:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If they aren't going to put a fence there then they presumably do need tactiles.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If they aren't going to put a fence there then they presumably do need tactiles.
They’ve put fences up on a few other altered platforms, just at the ends, where there’s a cutout on one side for adjacent S&C. Seems inconsistent to me.

BrianW

Established Member
They’ve put fences up on a few other altered platforms, just at the ends, where there’s a cutout on one side for adjacent S&C. Seems inconsistent to me.
I think it willl be found that ALL the platforms have unprotected faces, like when there's no train in the platform; and not just at KX!!
Roadkerbs, swimming pools, stairs, so many unfenced dangers 'out there' ... elfinsafety?
Of course if it were me falling, or getting the insurance claim ...?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think it willl be found that ALL the platforms have unprotected faces, like when there's no train in the platform; and not just at KX!!
Roadkerbs, swimming pools, stairs, so many unfenced dangers 'out there' ... elfinsafety?
Of course if it were me falling, or getting the insurance claim ...?
Well that’s a given isn’t it. But there are also plenty of existing precedents for fences on disused platform faces with no track - if nothing else it allows the full width of the platform to be used safely by people getting off a busy train, without a wasted space beyond the tactile strips that staff will no doubt advise people not to cross…

XAM2175

Established Member
I think you'll find that there is a distinction between a platform face that is unprotected because it needs to be used, and one that's unprotected without seeing any use.

Status
Not open for further replies.