• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kirkby-in-Ashfield East railway station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whilst finally unpacking the last of the small boxes brought when we relocated earlier this year, I came across an old photograph of this station which on the reverse had a pencil note saying Midland Railway. What line was this on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
The current Robin Hood line around Kirkby in Ashfield causes confusion - it actually touches upon 3 different railway alignments. Where the current Robin Hood line station is (named Kirkby in Ashfield, but in the railway's internal systems as Kirkby Central to this day, despite not being where that station was located either :lol: ) is on the former Great Northern Railway route. This is achieved by leaving the Midland Railway route after Kirkby Tunnel, climbing steeply over the old Great Central Railway alignment for a matter of yards and via a number of tight curves achieving the old GN alignment which BR had used after abandoning the old MR route in the hope of selling it for development.

By a further series of curves it then regains the old Midland route around Sutton Parkway/Sutton Junction.

ChrisC

Established Member
I just about remember it as a child just before it closed in 1964. I was only 8 years old when it closed but I do remember it. My dad worked at Kirkby Loco Shed just to the north of the old station. I remember the level crossing on Station Road where the traffic lights now are just east of the Council Offices and the Station was immediately north of the level crossing. Where the Robin Hood Line now climbs a steep gradient as it comes out of Kirkby tunnel the old line used to curve round to the right and run behind Kingsway Park. I think that part of the route is now a cycle track. Summit Pit was also to the he north of the station and loco shed.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Kirkby shed and the adjoining sidings were once an important location for the movement of coal from the Notts Coalfield to Manchester (via Rowsley) and the Birmingham area (via Ambergate and Derby).

Status
Not open for further replies.