• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kirkstall Forge & Apperley Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Have they got round to reprinting the paper timetables to include times for Apperley Bridge yet? They hadn't last time I checked a couple of weeks ago.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Travelled on the Calder Valley for the first time in a while yesterday, and it was nice to see Low Moor coming along. Well done NR, WYCA and Northern.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Have they got round to reprinting the paper timetables to include times for Apperley Bridge yet? They hadn't last time I checked a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know about new timetables, but the network map of the Aire / Wharfe lines over the doors of the 333s have been updated to include both Apperley Bridge & Kirkstall Forge.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Now we just need a station at Hemsworth on the Wakefield - Doncaster line (South of Fitzwilliam).

johntea

Established Member
Metro reckon Easter for Kirkstall Forge, I reckon it will actually coincide with the May timetable changes.

Grumpy

Metro reckon Easter for Kirkstall Forge, I reckon it will actually coincide with the May timetable changes.

They are on a hiding to nothing. If it's finished but remains unopened they will be criticised (unless like at Apperley they try to lay off the blame to ORR), but if they open it and hardly anyone uses it then they will be similarly ridiculed. In the unlikely event that it is heavily used then, bearing in mind the existing peak trains are full and standing, they will come in for more criticism.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Would this aspirational station be anywhere near to the site of the former Hemsworth station, built by the West Riding and Grimsby Railway, that was closed in 1967?

Yes, I suspect it would.

Quite a large town, big enough to support a bus station which physically backs onto the railway with a regular stopping train running past it.

It would seem ideal to me.

1D53

Established Member
Last Kirkstall date banded around was 1st April...

Grumpy

Yes, I suspect it would.

Quite a large town, big enough to support a bus station which physically backs onto the railway with a regular stopping train running past it.

The former station was located, surprisingly, on station road and was on the town boundary in a cutting. Not near the town centre or near the bus station.

The West Yorkshire study into proposed railway stations discarded it quickly into the "too difficult/costly/inconvenience existing passengers" category, so I don't think it's got much chance.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I don't know about new timetables, but the network map of the Aire / Wharfe lines over the doors of the 333s have been updated to include both Apperley Bridge & Kirkstall Forge.

I've been talking to Metro on twitter and whilst station timetable posters were supposed to be replaced in December, it appears none of them were...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The former station was located, surprisingly, on station road and was on the town boundary in a cutting. Not near the town centre or near the bus station.

The West Yorkshire study into proposed railway stations discarded it quickly into the "too difficult/costly/inconvenience existing passengers" category, so I don't think it's got much chance.

Which translates as perfectly walkable for the majority of people.

Also, this idea of 'inconvenience to other passengers' is complete hokum.

deltic08

On Moderation
Now we just need a station at Hemsworth on the Wakefield - Doncaster line (South of Fitzwilliam).

The following Leeds-Kings Cross is slower than it need be without another stop. South Elmsall to Doncaster could do with quadrupling to allow East Coast trains to overtake stoppers with a chord reinstating here with the Pontefract line. Freight could then be removed from the ECML between York and Doncaster.

Three trains per hour from Leeds to London will be impossible.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, I suspect it would.

Too obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The following Leeds-Kings Cross is slower than it need be without another stop. South Elmsall to Doncaster could do with quadrupling to allow East Coast trains to overtake stoppers with a chord reinstating here with the Pontefract line. Freight could then be removed from the ECML between York and Doncaster.

Three trains per hour from Leeds to London will be impossible.

I'm not convinced that the line between Leeds and Doncaster is as full as they make out. Certainly not so full as to prevent another stop on the Leeds - Donny.

Had too many half hour waits at Wakefield Westgate for the Leeds train.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not such a daunting prospect as a half-hour wait on Wakefield Kirkgate station though...:roll:

Indeed. That's been one of the few things that would prompt me to voluntarily catch a bus (although the new cafe's quite nice and worth a wait if open!).

thejuggler

I visited late afternoon last week as I may have need to start using Apperley Bridge and it was about 75% full.

johntea

Established Member
Low Moor has been pushed back too due to finding a mine shaft. The 'Targus' decided to post this update on 1st April which probably wasn't the best of days to do so, but it IS true :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Unbelievable!

Someone has decided to graffiti part of Apperley Bridge station already :roll:

Condor7

On RealTimeTrains it only shows a separate table for the Leeds to Bradford service, and for some reason is not incorporated into the main Aire Valley table showing all the other trains that pass through.

We are aware of this. The mileage for the station needed entering into the station database. This has been done and hopefully it should appear sometime early next year. Kirkstall Forge has also been added, so this should not be a problem when it opens.

Nothing seems to have happened on this so far, do we have any updates?
Thanks

Grumpy

Not been past for a while but called in this morning and 236 in the car park , including one in splendid isolation in the disabled area.

First trip past (Apperley) for a few weeks and coincidentally counted 236 in the car park, with none in the disabled area. I wonder if growth has now reached a plateau some four months after opening.

louis97

Established Member
Nothing seems to have happened on this so far, do we have any updates?
Thanks

Slight technical issues with this. It has now been updated though, should be active for services from tomorrow.

Kite159

Veteran Member
So did Kirkstall Forge open for business today with the new timetable change?

Or has the grand opening been delayed again (until after Lea Bridge opens so that it keeps the honour of "newest station in the UK" for longer than 10 minutes)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.