• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kirkstall Forge & Apperley Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartacus

Established Member
I was wondering myself, I may need to pay a visit to Kirkstall soon and I'd rather use that than Headingley.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
So did Kirkstall Forge open for business today with the new timetable change?

Or has the grand opening been delayed again (until after Lea Bridge opens so that it keeps the honour of "newest station in the UK" for longer than 10 minutes)?

Well, Lea Bridge did in fact open late on Sunday, 15th May, as scheduled (see the Lea Bridge thread on this website), so what is the position with Kirkstall Forge now?

1D53

Established Member
Still a minimum of another 4-6 weeks for Kirkstall.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Coming down on the 06:47 from Guiseley (2V05 06:33 from Ilkley), we did actually slow approaching Kirkstall Forge and for a moment I thought we'd be the first stopper there (this sevice is booked to call there once it's open). However we only slowed as there appeared to be some work going on on the Leeds-bound platform. However I did notice that street lights have now been installed all along the approach road from the A65, hopefully meaning that this is now almost ready for use. Also hoardings are going up along a length on the road, whch might suggest we are in the final throws of preparation prior to it's opening!

MarkRedon

I think it it is probably unusual for a station to be open before the completion of the developments that will depend upon it for good transport. Well done West Yorkshire! This is a contrast with, for example, the "rail-based" strategic freight developments which never see a train…

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The electrical work looked finished too when I passed recently at night. Screens and lighting was all on.

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
Well if the weather doesn't improve rain might stop play yet

...again :lol:

Andyh82

Established Member
From that photo, looks like the station name boards will be unique in being in Serco Abellio Northern style but without a blanked off logo at the end.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Services that are timetabled to stop at Kirkstall have been slowing on approach in the last week, I presume to allow drivers to familiarise with the new stop.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Has anything definite appeared in print from an official source concerning the actual day of opening in the last day or so?

There is nothing further in print but having just passed through there is now a 'Welcome To Kirkstall Forge" banner on the hoarding surrounding the building site adjacent to the Leeds bound platform.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
What has surprised me about Kirkstall is that unlike Apperley Bridge, there appears to be no planned services actually serving the station directly. The 33/33A/737 all run past on the A65, with a number of other services terminating within a mile or so (albeit not operating on the A65). I would have thought having at least one of the services (the 33/33A would be the most likely candidate) actually entering the complex and serving the station directly might help boost early numbers. These services do have stops close to the access road, but a slight diversion to the station itself would only put on a minute or two to the overall journey time and the 33 already has a small deviation further along it's route so another wouldn't hurt.

And I'm also surprised that the off-peak calling pattern is still only hourly. Given the success of the half-hourly Apperley Bridge calls, I would have thought that stopping both Ilkley services there would have been a better solution, without causing too many problems with it crossing Apperley Junction. It will be interesting to see how many people start to use Kirkstall Forge from next week, I'll probably be on the first morning peak to call there en-route to Leeds on Monday (06:33 ILK-LDS 2V05 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y15112/2016/06/20/advanced)

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I find it very odd that the 1730 from Bradford Forster Square calls at Kirkstall Forge but not at Apperley Bridge. Instead the 1715 from Skipton calls at Apperley Bridge. Is that really the least busy of those two trains?

I also notice that aside from the 0633 from Ilkley, the only morning peak trains to Leeds are ones from Skipton.

So Kirkstall Forge will have 3 direct trains a day from Shipley, including just 1 from Bradford.

In the other direction, none of the copious evening peak Ilkley trains call there. The 1632 and 1832 do, and in between the 1709 Leeds to Bradford Forster Square and 1740 Leeds to Skipton. Does the latter really have room for the extra passengers? And compared to Shipley and Guiseley - and even Apperley Bridge, this gives Kirkstall Forge a fairly unattractive morning and evening peak service.

There are 2 direct trains a day from Kirkstall Forge to Apperley Bridge. There are no direct trains from Apperley Bridge to Kirkstall Forge.

The Sunday timetable sees it served almost better, by the 1 train an hour that runs almost all day from Leeds to Bradford Forster Square (first from Leeds at 0831, last from Leeds at 2241 - somewhat better than on weekdays when it's first at 0645 and last at 1908), thus on Sundays there are direct trains all day at 1tph from Kirkstall Forge to Apperley Bridge, Shipley and Bradford (although none to Ilkey).

Last edited:

AndyHudds

What has surprised me about Kirkstall is that unlike Apperley Bridge, there appears to be no planned services actually serving the station directly. The 33/33A/737 all run past on the A65, with a number of other services terminating within a mile or so (albeit not operating on the A65). I would have thought having at least one of the services (the 33/33A would be the most likely candidate) actually entering the complex and serving the station directly might help boost early numbers. These services do have stops close to the access road, but a slight diversion to the station itself would only put on a minute or two to the overall journey time and the 33 already has a small deviation further along it's route so another wouldn't hurt.

And I'm also surprised that the off-peak calling pattern is still only hourly. Given the success of the half-hourly Apperley Bridge calls, I would have thought that stopping both Ilkley services there would have been a better solution, without causing too many problems with it crossing Apperley Junction. It will be interesting to see how many people start to use Kirkstall Forge from next week, I'll probably be on the first morning peak to call there en-route to Leeds on Monday (06:33 ILK-LDS 2V05 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y15112/2016/06/20/advanced)

You're first paragraph is just symptomatic of all that's wrong with public transport in Britain, no joined up thinking or integration.

Andyh82

Established Member
The difference being that you'd be diverting a bus already heading to Leeds so passengers can change to catch a train to Leeds.

Bevan Price

Established Member

)

These days, no bus company is likely to do something that might divert part of its revenue to a competitor - especially when it would increase the journey time of their buses.

AndyHudds

These days, no bus company is likely to do something that might divert part of its revenue to a competitor - especially when it would increase the journey time of their buses.

Wrong....who said anything about diverting revenue? Who said people wouldn't get off at Kirkstall Forge and finish their journey by bus because it passed their house nearby? Who says people catch buses end to end? It's about complimenting the rail service and visa versa? It's called an integrated transport network. Not separating it. Unfortunately bus companies and the people that run them are too thick to see this. Roll on devolution and quality contracts.

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
Quite unique in West Yorkshire for Northern services to have such a varied stopping pattern along a route I believe!

Annoyingly my iPhone 'Train Times' app (The one with the square blue National Rail logo and orange text!) still hasn't been updated with the new stations and probably never will, which sucks as I still find it the best rail times app!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I find it very odd that the 1730 from Bradford Forster Square calls at Kirkstall Forge but not at Apperley Bridge. Instead the 1715 from Skipton calls at Apperley Bridge. Is that really the least busy of those two trains?

Almost certainly. There's very little traffic from Skipton in the peak compared to the other direction, whilst the morning and evening peaks are about the only time the trains from Bradford get busy.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Plus we must not forget that this section of line is busy, so the stopping pattern is forced by the train services surrounding the stopping trains.

Cakestall

You're first paragraph is just symptomatic of all that's wrong with public transport in Britain, no joined up thinking or integration.
Kirkstall forge redevelopment is a long linear site running alongside the A65 but a much lower level. They will be two road entrances to the site at the north and south ends. At present only the North entrance appears available, so any bus is required to double back on itself. When both entrances are open the mileage going via the development or keeping to the main road will be virtually the same.
I suspect that when the development gets in full swing most buses will run through it due to passenger demand anyway.Due to geography, the section of the A65 which would be bypassed is very isolated with has only one building on it.This is a rather nice former Tramway sub station converted into a small industrial unit making wrought iron curios , steel gates etc.

Last edited:

AndyHudds

Kirkstall forge redevelopment is a long linear site running alongside the A65 but a much lower level. They will be two road entrances to the site at the north and south ends. At present only the North entrance appears available, so any bus is required to double back on itself. When both entrances are open the mileage going via the development or keeping to the main road will be virtually the same.
I suspect that when the development gets in full swing most buses will run through it due to passenger demand anyway.Due to geography, the section of the A65 which would be bypassed is very isolated with has only one building on it.This is a rather nice former Tramway sub station converted into a small industrial unit making wrought iron curios , steel gates etc.

That's fair enough, I agree, they should run into the development once it's finished to serve the development and link up, as well as compliment the train service. I don'the know the area myself but I'm pretty sure the buses pass through densely populated areas on their way to and from Kirkstall Forge. It's just about joined up thinking and integration, that was the point I was stressing, not competition or revenue extraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.