• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kirkstall Forge & Apperley Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cakestall

kirkstall Forge station is now open,have just got back from catching the first train from Leeds. Amazed how few members of the enthusiasts fraternity were around.
DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leedsblue

Kirkstall forge redevelopment is a long linear site running alongside the A65 but a much lower level. They will be two road entrances to the site at the north and south ends. At present only the North entrance appears available, so any bus is required to double back on itself. When both entrances are open the mileage going via the development or keeping to the main road will be virtually the same.
I suspect that when the development gets in full swing most buses will run through it due to passenger demand anyway.Due to geography, the section of the A65 which would be bypassed is very isolated with has only one building on it.This is a rather nice former Tramway sub station converted into a small industrial unit making wrought iron curios , steel gates etc.

If all the bus services were redirected it would be quite inconvenient for residents of the Hawksworth Wood estate. But I agree it would make sense to redirect the 33 once development is in full swing. I'm not sure how many people would use the bus to travel to the station though as the 33 bus continues to Leeds station one way and close to Guiseley station the other. So buses are only necessary once people move in to the new development, which is some time off. Hopefully timetable will also be improved by then. It's now my local station but with one train an hour to Leeds I'll be getting the bus I suspect most of the time. One thing I was looking forwards to was using it to get to Shipley and beyond to the Settle-Carlisle, but given most trains go to Ilkley it's not possible (except on Sundays). Are the Bradford trains really too busy to accommodate another stop Monday-Friday, or is there no time for extra stop?

Another observation is that provision for bikes is pathetic. 5 lockers and 4 stands. Given no one currently lives within 10 minutes walk it's pretty short sited.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not many enthusiasts up there? No surprise for some of us, after all I don't follow this sector of the forum much at all, only when I'm bored, and therefore didn't know until Friday it was finally ready to open!

Something else to add to my list of required shacks then, although also a good excuse to go 333 hunting. Now to find the time and money to do it...

johntea

Established Member
Has it always been slower to travel to Bradford Forster Square than Bradford Interchange even before the new station calls?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Has it always been slower to travel to Bradford Forster Square than Bradford Interchange even before the new station calls?

Before the new stops were added there wasn't much in it but Forster Square was always a bit longer, though that's not surprising as it isn't as direct a route.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It isn't that surprising there weren't many people there. It's difficult to get to at that time on a Sunday morning, and it hasn't been a massively high-profile opening. That, and it has a very poor service!

Bantamzen

Established Member
Just on the 06:33 from Ilkley to Leeds, which is the first morning service from Kirkstall into Leeds (06:55). A light smattering of waiting passengers, I counted 7, on the platform waiting with a similar number of cars in the car park. So Kirkstall Forge's life as a commuter park and ride has begun. Hopefully word will spread quickly and it will get similar growth to Apperley Bridge.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Today might be skewed by the First Bus strike in Leeds but good first steps

Bantamzen

Established Member
Today might be skewed by the First Bus strike in Leeds but good first steps

Possibly though it may have had more of an effect further up the line. Guiseley where I boarded was busier than usual and the train seemed heavier loaded on arrival there. But the strike may see a few more people in the area of Kirkstall giving it a go today.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Was it opened on Sunday officially? I ask because I passed through it on Saturday with my grandmother and noticed the station appeared operational and some trains seemed to be stopping there

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Was it opened on Sunday officially? I ask because I passed through it on Saturday with my grandmother and noticed the station appeared operational and some trains seemed to be stopping there

Yes it opened then, trains stopped there for driver familiarization with the new stop, the station was not open to the public though.
Sam

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Yes it opened then, trains stopped there for driver familiarization with the new stop, the station was not open to the public though.
Sam

So, technically, I can claim to be through a ghost station - one that was closed to passengers?

mm333

Just on the 06:33 from Ilkley to Leeds, which is the first morning service from Kirkstall into Leeds (06:55). A light smattering of waiting passengers, I counted 7, on the platform waiting with a similar number of cars in the car park. So Kirkstall Forge's life as a commuter park and ride has begun. Hopefully word will spread quickly and it will get similar growth to Apperley Bridge.

Someone I know said they spoke to someone from Northern at Kirkstall Forge on Sunday. They said that DfT weren't allowing them to call it a park-and-ride station due to the amount of money that'd put into the bus corridor work on the adjoining A65.

Grumpy

I caught the 16.32 Leeds-Ilkley today. First time on a train that stopped at Kirkstall.
Two people got off and none joined,so far as I could see. The train was a 321 full and standing (at least my carriage was). Approx 30 cars in the car park.

As we sat awaiting departure, couldn't help wondering how many people were thinking "waste of money". I accept that when the commercial development is complete there should be more passengers but that begs the question of where they are going to sit/stand.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I caught the 16.32 Leeds-Ilkley today. First time on a train that stopped at Kirkstall.
Two people got off and none joined,so far as I could see. The train was a 321 full and standing (at least my carriage was). Approx 30 cars in the car park.

As we sat awaiting departure, couldn't help wondering how many people were thinking "waste of money". I accept that when the commercial development is complete there should be more passengers but that begs the question of where they are going to sit/stand.

In theory, by the time the development is complete several of the peak services up the Airedale and Wharfedale lines will be formed of 6-car 331s (which I assume will be 23m vehicles), though not the services which will serve Kirkstall and Apperley as they were built just the right size for single 333s. As with so many things though, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

quantinghome

Established Member

Apparently the DLR was seen as a waste of money in its early days. They had to extend the platforms there too.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Apparently the DLR was seen as a waste of money in its early days. They had to extend the platforms there too.

The DLR exceeded its target user numbers on the second day of service. It was considered a dead duck until it opened. Then it was hated for being too popular and needing more money. It was perfect for a day though.

leedslad82

Walked along the canal yesterday then got the train from apperley bridge to Kirkstall forge. They missing out on some revenue as the machine at Apperley bridge doesn't have Kirkstall as an option

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Walked along the canal yesterday then got the train from apperley bridge to Kirkstall forge. They missing out on some revenue as the machine at Apperley bridge doesn't have Kirkstall as an option

Aren't there only a handful of services that call at both though? Other than bashers trying to kill two birds with one stone I can't imagine there's much demand between the two.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Aren't there only a handful of services that call at both though? Other than bashers trying to kill two birds with one stone I can't imagine there's much demand between the two.

Surely a ticket machine should sell tickets to every station on the network regardless? The Apperley bridge trains also don't stop at Wakefield but i bet you can get a ticket.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I don't think Kirkstall Abbey is on any ticket machine yet.
The only website you can find it on is Northern.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Is Kirkstall Forge station directly accessible from the canal towpath? Looking at an OS map (obviously out of date as it doesn't show the new station) it would appear you have to come off the canal at Pollard Lane, go over the bridge then head east along the A65, but is there a footpath and bridge over the River Aire that links the station and the towpath directly?

Cakestall

Is Kirkstall Forge station directly accessible from the canal towpath? Looking at an OS map (obviously out of date as it doesn't show the new station) it would appear you have to come off the canal at Pollard Lane, go over the bridge then head east along the A65, but is there a footpath and bridge over the River Aire that links the station and the towpath directly?

Yes they have built a footpath from Pollard Lane that runs past the Scout Camp and then through the wood. It is well surfaced and lit. It emerges directly onto the platform.There is also
PHP:
a branch that joins the canal towpath if approaching from the south
Actual construction of the path was completed well before the Station opened. Picture dates from December last year.

Attachments

• Kirkstall December 2015.jpg
    Kirkstall December 2015.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 49

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Yes they have built a footpath from Pollard Lane that runs past the Scout Camp and then through the wood. It is well surfaced and lit. It emerges directly onto the platform.There is also
PHP:
a branch that joins the canal towpath if approaching from the south
Actual construction of the path was completed well before the Station opened. Picture dates from December last year.

Excellent - many thanks for that! How long do you reckon it would take to walk from the Abbey Inn to the Leeds-bound platform?

Cakestall

Less then 10 minutes.
Its also about 20 minutes from the Bridge Inn at Kirkstall, (Leeds Camra Pub of the Year two years running)if you approach from the south along the canal.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The DLR exceeded its target user numbers on the second day of service. It was considered a dead duck until it opened. Then it was hated for being too popular and needing more money. It was perfect for a day though.

I seem to recall the Beckton branch was pretty much deserted for some years after opening, until development caught up with it.

Bantamzen

Established Member

I go through on the first Leeds bound stopper from Ilkley most mornings, and slowly but surely the numbers seem to be increasing. On day one I counted 7, but some mornings there are now people into double figures. Of course until the stopping pattern increases I don't expect too many more people to use it, one service per hour into Leeds means if someone arrives a bit late they can still drive into Leeds, park up and walk to the office far quicker than waiting for the next service.

Going the other way I've called there a couple of times and not yet seen anyone board heading towards Ilkley / Bradford, although passing through on the 15:56 Leeds-Skipton today there was one person on the platform, presumably waiting for the 16:07 Leeds-Bradford FS.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I don't think Kirkstall Abbey is on any ticket machine yet.
The only website you can find it on is Northern.

It does work on GWR, although at my most recent check the East Coast machines at Leeds don't offer it.

Capture.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.