• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Established Member
This is like EastEnders - but much better. I'm to call the BBC at once, and demand at least one full hour of their finest tele-broadcasting time! This is surely 'good content', as it would be called on social media.

-Peter
It will get at least 1 viewer :lol:

I’ll do a mini recreation tomorrow night when I get time. Hopefully I’ve got the right combination of coaches as well. ;)

Had a bit of a running session on my friends railway this evening and these were the pick of the photos.

View attachment 96495

View attachment 96496

View attachment 96497

That last one is my favourite. I’ve actually had both of those on the mainline - 37133 and 37035, and 37035 was on an HST drag in Devon too. :)
Nice photos! Love the HST drag.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There’s been a bit of an invasion of tiny people this evening.
Most of which were birthday presents from the family last week bless them. :)

26B5C75E-D074-4D1C-A57E-0428784AE6F9.jpeg

A25C8277-E449-4FD9-B2EC-F17BA299AAB9.jpeg

I also finally did the fencing along the back of the Barnstaple bound platform which should stop my little people falling in the river and I found a couple benches in my spares box to make them comfortable...

334F4CF0-C411-43F1-B52B-AC062195DF22.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
There’s been a bit of an invasion of tiny people this evening.
Most of which were birthday presents from the family last week bless them. :)

View attachment 97236

View attachment 97235

I also finally did the fencing along the back of the Barnstaple bound platform which should stop my little people falling in the river and I found a couple benches in my spares box to make them comfortable...

View attachment 97237
Those people really do add to the scene - they make it feel much more realistic (though that's not to say that it wasn't realistic before). :) The fence is very nice too. I wonder if some little people on my layout would get it built quicker than if I did it... (they probably would to be fair)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Those people really do add to the scene - they make it feel much more realistic (though that's not to say that it wasn't realistic before). :) The fence is very nice too. I wonder if some little people on my layout would get it built quicker than if I did it... (they probably would to be fair)

-Peter

You have to make sure that you get the right people. Unionised ones from the seventies can be a bit awkward and they tend to dismantle things rather than build them.
You wouldn’t want to come down one morning and find your railway stripped back to a single line and your station building replaced by a bus shelter.

Peter C

Established Member
You have to make sure that you get the right people. Unionised ones from the seventies can be a bit awkward and they tend to dismantle things rather than build them.
You wouldn’t want to come down one morning and find your railway stripped back to a single line and your station building replaced by a bus shelter.
Haha :lol:
Fred Dibnah makes an appearance on the layout (well, his Land Rover does at least), and I expect he could sort everything out in an afternoon if he had enough tea and cheese sandwiches :D

-Peter

(although a single line and basic station would be an excuse to get a Pacer - maybe one of those new ones which cost >£100...)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m actually seriously worried that these people are going to dismantle my signalbox if I go away for a weekend now.

Peter C

Established Member
I’m actually seriously worried that these people are going to dismantle my signalbox if I go away for a weekend now.
:lol: :lol:
The only answer to this is to invent a working N-gauge CCTV camera to keep an eye on them...

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
:lol: :lol:
The only answer to this is to invent a working N-gauge CCTV camera to keep an eye on them...

-Peter

Not a bad idea! :lol:

I made this tonight (I know that you’ve already seen it Peter and thanks for your kind comments).
Basically I downloaded an editing app thingy and swapped the chips over on the 31s.
It made my brain hurt a bit but I was quite pleased with it:

reddragon

Established Member

I made this tonight (I know that you’ve already seen it Peter and thanks for your kind comments).
Basically I downloaded an editing app thingy and swapped the chips over on the 31s.

That video makes your railway seem much bigger than it is. Excellent video.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That video makes your railway seem much bigger than it is. Excellent video.

Thanks @reddragon. Yeah it’s definitely pretending to be a bit bigger than it actually is. :)

That’s a very nice video, what editing software was it?

Thanks @Iskra. It’s just called ivideo. A saw someone using it on YouTube and it’s very easy to use. You can’t pause filming on iPhone so it’s quite difficult making films!

Peter C

Established Member

It really is a cool video - as @reddragon says, it makes the layout seem much bigger than it is (and it makes the engines and stock look bigger too). Shows off the detail and it's always lovely to see it in action. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

It really is a cool video - as @reddragon says, it makes the layout seem much bigger than it is (and it makes the engines and stock look bigger too). Shows off the detail and it's always lovely to see it in action. :)

-Peter

Thanks Peter. I wish I had the space to do the whole line. :lol:
Maybe one day... I do have an idea in mind of how I’d do Barnstaple, which is the only other station that I’d really love to do just because it had a very interesting freight yard up until 1987ish.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks Peter. I wish I had the space to do the whole line. :lol:
Maybe one day... I do have an idea in mind of how I’d do Barnstaple, which is the only other station that I’d really love to do just because it had a very interesting freight yard up until 1987ish.
Just had a look online at some photos of the yard at Barnstaple and it does look really interesting. Plenty of stock arriving and departing (and even a Wickham Trolley, which I'd love to see in N gauge). ;)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Just had a look online at some photos of the yard at Barnstaple and it does look really interesting. Plenty of stock arriving and departing (and even a Wickham Trolley, which I'd love to see in N gauge). ;)

-Peter
Looks like a hole needs knocking through a wall . . . . .

Peter C

Established Member
Looks like a hole needs knocking through a wall . . . . .
The only solution to the space problem is to buy out all surrounding houses, knock them through to make one building, and then build a layout! ;)

-Peter

Ashley Hill

Established Member
. Daintons plywood wonder can be seen just down the road from Westbury station in the boat club opposite the pub. It can also be seen from the avoider.
Having been meandering around the B&H at a sedate 60mph today I noticed that Dainton Box has disappeared,presumed demolished,from Westbury. The area has now been turned into a waterside housing estate!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Having been meandering around the B&H at a sedate 60mph today I noticed that Dainton Box has disappeared,presumed demolished,from Westbury. The area has now been turned into a waterside housing estate!

That’s a shame. Another one bites the dust eh?

In other news, I blinged Doris the Dumper up last week...

51B28B03-DFD4-4291-8D24-F5B6A2F006A2.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
"Doris the Dumper" :lol:
One of the Rev. Awdry's less successful efforts... (but still looking nice with those stickers :D)

-Peter

We’ve got Dug the Digger, Doris the Dumper and Seany Sharpshooter the wheelbarrow.
I think they appreciate that we’ve given them names. I bet Gordon would still be rude to them though.
He can be very conceited...

Peter C

Established Member
We’ve got Dug the Digger, Doris the Dumper and Seany Sharpshooter the wheelbarrow.
I think they appreciate that we’ve given them names. I bet Gordon would still be rude to them though.
Haha - love it! They're probably of a lower class than Gordon on Sodor (given the place's strange ways of doing things). But this is getting dangerously close to reflecting Awdry's commentary on social issues in the Railway Stories!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Funny, I have things named at home!

The heating boiler = The Red Dragon, its red and breaths fire!
The thermal store is a big blue tank - Thomas the Tank

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Funny, I have things named at home!

The heating boiler = The Red Dragon, its red and breaths fire!
The thermal store is a big blue tank - Thomas the Tank

We’ve got a small shed with the washing machine in it that’s called ‘Slim Sheddy, the real Slim Sheddy’...

Peter C

Established Member
Has much been happening in Lapford or Eggishford of late @Cowley? (They'll never know you asked me to make this post - I think I've pulled it off ;))

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Has much been happening in Lapford or Eggishford of late @Cowley? (They'll never know you asked me to make this post - I think I've pulled it off ;))

-Peter

Ah yes Peter. Yet again you knew that I had something to say!

Not too much actually, just spent yesterday evening fencing off the farmland from the unwanted neighbours and putting a piece of rusty farm machinery in the gateway with an unwelcoming sign:

DCBD8250-D89D-44CA-B605-ACF709BDCEA2.jpeg

He really doesn’t like the people with the old caravan...
(Actually I don’t know if you remember but the old rusty bailer is positioned over the baseboard joint which I think was your suggestion?)

D455EA16-841D-478F-81E5-6379EF7A8239.jpeg

Also road signs have been sprouting up here and there:

C07E53BA-713A-483A-A8F2-85A6E0BE5557.jpeg

78DDA5EF-17E2-4796-815E-52D9477044BF.jpeg

Quite like this photo with the bus. I get just as much enjoyment out of modelling the roads as I do the railway really.

D3E23870-76CB-44F0-B0F9-ABCF3B007A2D.jpeg

And do not pass this point please!

A09DE75C-2A8E-4ECA-AD4D-D4EFA723CBE2.jpeg