• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well my wee Hymek arrived a few days ago and after a bit of roughing up, detailing, chipping and helpful advice from this thread it now looks like this:

17A018F5-4289-4213-B6E6-F5ECF4C16852.jpeg

D973A94E-0A8E-45F6-9FEF-C7EE3F1A27FD.jpeg

I must say that the one bulb in the headcode doesn’t really cut the mustard because it only really lights one side up properly and it’s too bright.
I settled for 1A69 as the headcode in the end and I toned the LED down slightly so it wasn’t so garish.

I’m thinking about doing a representation of the air tank you can see on the real thing in front of the bogie at some point.

At the end of the day the Dapol Hymek is quite an old model now but it still captures the look of the prototype really well and it’s a nice little addition to fleet. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well my wee Hymek arrived a few days ago and after a bit of roughing up, detailing, chipping and helpful advice from this thread it now looks like this:

View attachment 114663

View attachment 114664

I must say that the one bulb in the headcode doesn’t really cut the mustard because it only really lights one side up properly and it’s too bright.
I settled for 1A69 as the headcode in the end and I toned the LED down slightly so it wasn’t so garish.

I’m thinking about doing a representation of the air tank you can see on the real thing in front of the bogie at some point.

At the end of the day the Dapol Hymek is quite an old model now but it still captures the look of the prototype really well and it’s a nice little addition to fleet. :)
She's a real beaut' @Cowley. The white window surrounds are very reminiscent of the Finsbury Park "Deltic treatment".

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
She's a real beaut' @Cowley. The white window surrounds are very reminiscent of the Finsbury Park "Deltic treatment".

Thanks Hexagon. I just really love hydraulics and can’t help accumulating them!
(Next time it’ll be a Warship I think)

Iskra

Established Member
That’s a very nice looking machine, I really like what you’ve done with it! You’re amassing quite the loco collection now aren’t you!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a very nice looking machine, I really like what you’ve done with it! You’re amassing quite the loco collection now aren’t you!

It’s definitely building up. I’ve got 2x31, 2x33, 1x37, 2x47, 1x50 a Hymek and a Western now so ten locos plus the DMU in total.

I’d like a large logo 50042, plus I’ll be getting the grey 37142 when it comes out. I’d also like a Warship and standard blue 47 (preferably with a silver roof) and and and and… :lol:

BRblue33

It’s definitely building up. I’ve got 2x31, 2x33, 1x37, 2x47, 1x50 a Hymek and a Western now so ten locos plus the DMU in total.

I’d like a large logo 50042, plus I’ll be getting the grey 37142 when it comes out. I’d also like a Warship and standard blue 47 (preferably with a silver roof) and and and and… :lol:
what a nice line up of Loco's.

Peter C

Established Member
I know I've been quite quiet of late, but I have been reading all the posts - that Hymek looks particularly lovely @Cowley! Love it. :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member

Very nice! Is there any scope for a 20 at all, or did they not work in the area?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice! Is there any scope for a 20 at all, or did they not work in the area?

Well I suppose I could get a couple for railtour duties (that’s the only way they appeared down here in those days), but then I’d have to self flagellate myself in the garden and the neighbours would talk…

xotGD

Established Member
Well I suppose I could get a couple for railtour duties (that’s the only way they appeared down here in those days), but then I’d have to self flagellate myself in the garden and the neighbours would talk…
If you are allowing yourself railtours, you need a Deltic!

Any role for an 08?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
T&T 20s went to Barnstaple on the weedkillers in the late-80s/early-90s. Not sure about before after that or whether that suits enough period-wise.

Example shot: https://flic.kr/p/9iJynv (Copyright Ian Dinmore flickr)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you are allowing yourself railtours, you need a Deltic!
It would have to be 40122 for me. It came down at least once in the 1980s and I love the thing (still got a 00 one actually).

Any role for an 08?
Possibly. Farish are bringing 08953 out which was based at Exeter around the time. I am very tempted!

42A26E73-674E-4CE1-92AE-2FA9312407E6.jpeg

T&T 20s went to Barnstaple on the weedkillers in the late-80s/early-90s. Not sure about before after that or whether that suits enough period-wise.

Example shot: https://flic.kr/p/9iJynv (Copyright Ian Dinmore flickr)

That would be pretty cool actually. Stop it!!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Happy Birthday Day to me…

I’m not in a fit state to comment right now but I will reply properly tomorrow me beauties. ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A Taurus just then eh! How old?

No actually a Gemini by a few hours apparently.
49 today.

I might have missed some information already stated about the current size of the layout. Can you oblige, please.

Yes it’s basically about 380cm long and around 110cm deep (I think. I’m not actually there to measure it).
The end sections fold down for storage as well.

reddragon

Established Member
No actually a Gemini by a few hours apparently.
49 today.

Yes it’s basically about 380cm long and around 110cm deep (I think. I’m not actually there to measure it).
The end sections fold down for storage as well.
Happy Birthday for today then! Big one next year <:D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wishing you many happy returns of the day good sir. ;)

-Peter

Oh thanks Peter. :)
We’re just heading up to the Severn Valley to stay in the van next to the railway and the river so we can watch a few diesels going by. ;)

Peter C

Established Member
Oh thanks Peter. :)
We’re just heading up to the Severn Valley to stay in the van next to the railway and the river so we can watch a few diesels going by. ;)
Ooh now that sounds very nice - I hope you enjoy it! :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes it was great thanks chaps. We actually just stayed in the area in the van and enjoyed listening to the sounds really. The only loco I actually hadn’t been behind before was the 44 and after having dinner at The Ship in Highley the very helpful chap in the ticket office sold us a couple of singles back to Hampton Loade so I managed to get it in the end. :)

There’s a bit of YouTube action here, although don’t expect Spielberg levels of cinematography…

reddragon

Established Member
I've camped in that campsite at Hampton Loade, but wow haven't they poshed it up! Last time I was there, sheep were in the field & kept you awake at night! The only toilets were in the pub and there was no track, just a big field.

Must be c 1975-1976

1653289926115.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've camped in that campsite at Hampton Loade, but wow haven't they poshed it up! Last time I was there, sheep were in the field & kept you awake at night! The only toilets were in the pub and there was no track, just a big field.

Must be c 1975-1976

View attachment 115117

Oh that’s brilliant. I think for me I’d prefer your 1970s version!

takno

Established Member
Oh that’s brilliant. I think for me I’d prefer your 1970s version!
Without going all "when I were a lad all this were fields, as far as the eye can see", the 1970s version does look like my fond memories from the early 80s. Lovely picture

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Without going all "when I were a lad all this were fields, as far as the eye can see", the 1970s version does look like my fond memories from the early 80s. Lovely picture

Definitely. I we generally go wild camping but Hampton Loade is just really convenient.
Saying that we were away from other people parked by the river so it was pretty private.