• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice video Mr C!

Ah thanks very much. :)

I’ve been doing a little side project this last couple of days as an extra thing for Paul’s ‘Moors View’ layout which we’re exhibiting at the Exeter Model Railway Show towards the end of June.
I’m calling this project:

Operation “This one’s knackered Fred. Find us a rescue loco!”
(The title might need some more work actually)

A couple of months ago Paul was given a load older N gauge stuff from the 1990s. It was all in appropriate sector liveries for the era we cover, but it’s not very well detailed compared to the stuff we run now.
That said some of it (some of the wagons etc) are perfectly acceptable with a bit of weathering and a wheel change.

There was also an Intercity 125 set in IC Swallow livery. Shown here being modelled by Old Gregg:
D6559BA1-4952-4A0B-83E3-69E64306372F.jpeg

3C26CBFD-103A-44E4-8F5B-8F79C721AEE4.jpeg

So not particularly good on detail but a good starting project for this kind of business:

So the first attempt involved drilling a hole in the front valance in as near to the correct place as possible and then filing it out:
77E152CD-B49A-4327-9439-AF223F81114D.jpeg

Well anyway, that turned out to be entirely the wrong height once I’d squeezed a spare NEM pocket in there as the coupling was probably about a scale 3 foot too high!
So back to the drawing board and I then removed the rest of the valance below the hole:
056E9DAD-9059-497D-9E4A-F628D969ED4C.jpeg

A test fitting for height showed that it had to be quite low so I made a little sub-assembly with the pocket glued to it here:
F6B172D9-F447-4AE7-8F8F-F9F97ED8776F.jpeg

And then glued it all in place after a little more filing back of the chassis:
323AA0EF-0AC5-46C9-B737-9CA55DF625C0.jpeg

That all done I then tried it out being dragged by my shortest loco (a 33) and my longest loco (the 50) through every single bit of complicated trackwork on the layout and it works!

It’s a nice little addition to the N gauge club fleet and Paul’s son George has a lovely Intercity Executive HST which we’ll now be able to swap the Dapol motorised power car out of and drag around as a failure (so many youthful memories of this kind of thing).

This is how it looks now that it’s got a few “That’s not good Fred” oil stains on it pre a light weathering and with the little access cover fitted:
EDD0971E-6B16-4492-9A7F-815BEFEB58D0.jpeg

03F5E9D9-CE01-4548-B53A-84132FC54EF2.jpeg

And with a rescue locomotive attached:
11B608E5-57C5-4611-920D-2CBA4F06B7A6.jpeg

Thanks for reading and a gentle nudge for @xotGD who I reckon will have a few memories stirred by this. ;)

Iskra

Established Member
Excellent use of a surplus model there. Looking forward to seeing the model with the final weathering. A very brave project in N gauge too.

Peter C

Established Member
Now I must say Mr @Cowley - that is absolutely superb! Looks brilliant and actually really realistic (so in-keeping with Lapford!). :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent use of a surplus model there. Looking forward to seeing the model with the final weathering. A very brave project in N gauge too.

Thanks @Iskra. It was a bit fiddly not something you see modelled very often. I’m looking forward to running it with the full set now.

Anyway. 0.52 seconds in for the real deal at Exeter st Thomas. ;)

Now I must say Mr @Cowley - that is absolutely superb! Looks brilliant and actually really realistic (so in-keeping with Lapford!). :)

-Peter

Cheers Peter. I’m waiting for the postperson to deliver me a Dutch 33 now. That’s the next detailing job.

Peter C

Established Member
Cheers Peter. I’m waiting for the postperson to deliver me a Dutch 33 now. That’s the next detailing job.
You're most welcome. :)
Now that does sound interesting - it's always exciting waiting for a new model, isn't it?

-Peter

xotGD

Established Member
Thanks for reading and a gentle nudge for @xotGD who I reckon will have a few memories stirred by this. ;)
Nice job! The oil stains indicate that it has burst good and proper.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice job! The oil stains indicate that it has burst good and proper.

Oh yes. Time to glance across at the yard.
Looks like they’re about to fire up 50032. ;)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Has all the scenery now been fully completed at Lapford?

I do apologise, I completely forgot to reply the other day!

Yes it’s all completed now. They say a model railway is never finished but mine seems to be. ;) I had to get it all finished because it was being featured in a magazine and that made me do the last few things on it. Likewise for Paul and his Moors View layout.

Time to start thinking about the project now…

Peter C

Established Member
I’ve considered Monessie Gorge. ;)

A great disaster has befallen the former Taw Valley Hotel! I took this picture while giving one of the girls a driving lesson.

1987:
View attachment 118839

2022!
View attachment 118840
I thought I'd responded to this - terribly sorry @Cowley. You don't suppose someone's taken a look at your model, thought the real thing could never be as good as it, and demolished it lest it be seen as an inferior copy? ;)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought I'd responded to this - terribly sorry @Cowley. You don't suppose someone's taken a look at your model, thought the real thing could never be as good as it, and demolished it lest it be seen as an inferior copy? ;)

-Peter

Well that’s a very nice thing to say.
However I feel that Wayne had a part in this. He’s probably sold the rubble to someone and knocked it down while no one was looking.

Gloster

Established Member
I must admit I was a bit concerned when you show a picture of a demolished building and then mention your girls’ driving lesson in the caption. As long as it was not like my neighbour’s daughter. She passed her test at 3.30 one afternoon and manoeuvred into a concrete block at 10.30 the following morning: her car (or Ka) was not worth repairing.

Peter C

Established Member
No, no - twice, mate 8-)

The guy sold it once and pocketed not only the scrap value but a bribe!

Legged it to Vienna.

Then came back and did it again!
Oh yes! There's a wonderful video from the Technical Difficulties group in their Citation Needed series (videos made in part by Tom Scott, of whom some forum members may already be aware for his informative YouTube videos) about the subject (though I expect you might already have seen it, it's very funny and I'd recommend all of their content to anyone reading this)! Link:

-Peter :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Oh yes! There's a wonderful video from the Technical Difficulties group in their Citation Needed series (videos made in part by Tom Scott, of whom some forum members may already be aware for his informative YouTube videos) about the subject (though I expect you might already have seen it, it's very funny and I'd recommend all of their content to anyone reading this)! Link:

-Peter :)
You suspect correctly, I have seen it.

Though I was aware of Victor Lustig before hand.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent, have a great weekend! And more photo's please! :)

Thanks @Iskra. To be honest it was incredibly busy all weekend so unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to have a proper look around. Definitely the busiest one yet.

These were in the rooms right near us which was all I was able to get to.

Blowers Green (0 gauge):
53543E57-F9B5-4A91-8864-8941E9C27EC7.jpeg

This one was opposite and I thought it would appeal to you. I thought I’d taken a photo of the name but it hasn’t come out. Really loved it though:
82BCF62A-ADD0-4861-9541-D186E81C664A.jpeg

A nice 0 gauge class 60:
8EB282B8-97DE-4E7A-8FE7-E6CBE728210C.jpeg

This is what it looks like around the back of Moors View:
7EE5281D-16C8-4A45-88B3-BB4BAEAD2497.jpeg

This is the cup that they presented Paul for the Visitors Choice award:
69F84BFE-0B19-4692-85F2-4C99D1F856CA.jpeg

We didn’t realise what was happening at first. All the staff from the show turned up and then started clapping. :lol:

I was so tired after the weekend though. You really have to be on it, and you also have to answer questions that people are throwing at you, fix problems, keep things running and entertaining etc.

It’s a lot of work and you don’t do it to win prizes but it’s lovely that people like it so much that they voted for it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Busy times.

We’re at the Taunton model railway show this weekend with Moors View if anyone’s in the area and wants to say hello. :)

View attachment 122431
I wouldn't have been able to attend, but I'm sorry I missed seeing this.

Forum notifications seem to be a bit random at the moment!

Thanks @Iskra. To be honest it was incredibly busy all weekend so unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to have a proper look around. Definitely the busiest one yet.

These were in the rooms right near us which was all I was able to get to.

Blowers Green (0 gauge):
View attachment 122626

This one was opposite and I thought it would appeal to you. I thought I’d taken a photo of the name but it hasn’t come out. Really loved it though:
View attachment 122628

A nice 0 gauge class 60:
View attachment 122625

This is what it looks like around the back of Moors View:
View attachment 122627

This is the cup that they presented Paul for the Visitors Choice award:
View attachment 122624

We didn’t realise what was happening at first. All the staff from the show turned up and then started clapping. :lol:

I was so tired after the weekend though. You really have to be on it, and you also have to answer questions that people are throwing at you, fix problems, keep things running and entertaining etc.

It’s a lot of work and you don’t do it to win prizes but it’s lovely that people like it so much that they voted for it.
Very nice set of photos, I looks like it was a great show.