• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haha, yes that's true. It must have been very satisfying seeing those first trains make their laps :)

The first time I ran a train straight through Lapford it was a very good feeling as I’d already built the main bit of the layout just on its own.
Now I’m making the bits to finish it off it’ll be quite a decent length run along the scenic section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Have you made any more progress on Eggishford recently @Cowley? I'm interested to see how you do the scenery and how you incorporate and link the different things you've done.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Blimey! How did you know to ask..? :)
It’s been a bit hit and miss actually, so first the not so good.

I bought a load of static grass off eBay but soon realised that I’d bought entirely the wrong shade and once I’d laid it I just couldn’t get it to blend in with the original scenery no matter what I did.
Basically it was far too lurid...
I’m happy to report though that I worked out what I’d used before eventually and ordered a load of it off eBay (hopefully enough to do the rest of the layout) and it arrived today ready for my day off tomorrow. Wahay. :)

So other than that I did the road markings on one of the new sections (they don’t want to pull out in front of Wayne in his knackered Transit):

615AB0EA-C0C6-4C9B-AB35-676FBD913300.jpeg

Also the new bits of river and a couple of bridges (complete with Chernobyl style grass):

9F0F9919-52C8-4DE7-9E1C-84DE1BF7AB3C.jpeg

New platforms for Eggishford, which aren’t fixed down yet but you get the idea:

876E23FD-21E3-4C7D-88D9-2C5BD4AD9A83.jpegEA55926C-AF56-475C-9015-D4399B4CC379.jpeg

Plus making trees. Endless endless trees!
I need so many of them that every time I’ve got five minutes I knock one up, but it’s a slow process.

ED910333-5B1A-458B-9946-DB64AF9ABB5D.jpeg

It’s such a lush green route through the valley there that it has to be done this way but it’ll be worth it in the end.
So there you go.
Hopefully I’ll get a bit of static grass done in the next few days along with a few trees being planted which will make a big difference to how it all looks and I’ll post some pictures when I’ve got something to show for it.

Peter C

Established Member
Psychic powers (at least that's what everyone else thinks) ;)

I bought a load of static grass off eBay but soon realised that I’d bought entirely the wrong shade and once I’d laid it I just couldn’t get it to blend in with the original scenery no matter what I did.
I’m happy to report though that I worked out what I’d used before eventually and ordered a load of it off eBay (hopefully enough to do the rest of the layout) and it arrived today ready for my day off tomorrow. Wahay. :)
Oh dear - I've found static grass can be a real pain sometimes and it's best to make sure it looks just right or else it will just be a real irritation; I've been fiddling around with some of the stuff today on my layout actually.

So other than that I did the road markings on one of the new sections (they don’t want to pull out in front of Wayne in his knackered Transit):

View attachment 91803

Also the new bits of river and a couple of bridges (complete with Chernobyl style grass):

View attachment 91804
I must admit those captions made me giggle :) Some good work on the road and the bridge there: one of the things I remember commenting on near the start of this thread was the bridge you'd done for just outside Lapford station and this one is cool too. I think it's the removed sleepers which adds to it. The river underneath also looks good.

View attachment 91799View attachment 91800
Again - more cool work as it's all starting to come together now. The staggered platforms add quite a lot of interest.

I need so many of them that every time I’ve got five minutes I knock one up, but it’s a slow process.

View attachment 91802

It’s such a lush green route through the valley there that it has to be done this way but it’ll be worth it in the end.
So there you go.
Hopefully I’ll get a bit of static grass done in the next few days along with a few trees being planted which will make a big difference to how it all looks and I’ll post some pictures when I’ve got something to show for it.
That is a lot of trees! I suppose even if it will take a while to build up the number you'll need, it'll be worth it in the end. And you'll have the satisfaction of being able to look at all of them and say 'I made those!'.

I look forward to further updates. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks Peter. I pretty much copied the bridge (although this one is on a curve obviously) because I just wasn’t sure what else to do as these new bits are little more freelance.
This going to be quite a wooded area though so I’m not sure how much will be seen at the moment.

As far as it goes with the trees, I think it’s worth the effort in the end as I’ll be able to reuse them in the future one day.
I must have made over a hundred altogether now. o_O

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks Peter. I pretty much copied the bridge (although this one is on a curve obviously) because I just wasn’t sure what else to do as these new bits are little more freelance.
This going to be quite a wooded area though so I’m not sure how much will be seen at the moment.
Ah cool - I expect the addition of quite a few trees could potentially give way for some interesting views of the bridge/other bits of the layout?

As far as it goes with the trees, I think it’s worth the effort in the end as I’ll be able to reuse them in the future one day.
I must have made over a hundred altogether now. o_O
Definitely. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to make so many trees - I also expect I'd forget either where I'd got up to and make too many or forgot about making them altogether and make too few!

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Lurid static grass? Okay that's got me intrigued, what on earth colour was that? Shocking pink? ;)

One of the neighbours sounds very much like a "Wayne", perhaps they are related! What did you use for the markings - is it paint or white tape or something else?

So there you go.
I do like your trees.

Ah cool - I expect the addition of quite a few trees could potentially give way for some interesting views of the bridge/other bits of the layout?

Definitely. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to make so many trees - I also expect I'd forget either where I'd got up to and make too many or forgot about making them altogether and make too few!

-Peter
You and me both mate, I've always thought it must be a tough time fiddly job which rather puts me off tbh

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lurid static grass? Okay that's got me intrigued, what on earth colour was that? Shocking pink? ;)

One of the neighbours sounds very much like a "Wayne", perhaps they are related! What did you use for the markings - is it paint or white tape or something else?

I do like your trees.

You and me both mate, I've always thought it must be a tough time fiddly job which rather puts me off tbh

These are the road markings:
(Actually these are 00 ones but they do them in N)

B3264CBB-0F4E-4D27-A69F-B12155E70D4E.jpeg

They are fiddly as you have to peel off and stick every single one individually. It’s worth it in the long run though because you can do it in a more realistic way:

2DDC4BC5-8176-4778-A121-834EB32ACF79.jpeg

I copied the original road as closely as possible.

Wayne is a nightmare, many of the local children share similar facial characteristics to him and that Transit is always one millimetre behind your bumper and is well known for being the fastest vehicle known to man on a country road...

BD7647AC-D2C3-4DBF-B6FD-6C29B807E93E.jpeg

hexagon789

Veteran Member
These are the road markings:
(Actually these are 00 ones but they do them in N)
Well that's actually perfect, because I'm a 00 man. I've actually just been looking at MM's new announcement the last few days which came as a huge surprise after their Facebook effectively said in September they had no plans to do anything else. Then they snuck 3 retooled ranges the last week...

So I've got plenty to plan about.

Did I miss who actually does them in a previous post? Just while the photo is great for seeing them 'in situ' I don't see a company name, sorry?

Wayne is a nightmare, many of the local children share similar facial characteristics to him and that Transit is always one millimetre behind your bumper and is well known for being the fastest vehicle known to man on a country road...
Love it, I may need a "Wayne" suitably retitled of course!

reddragon

Established Member

View attachment 91803

View attachment 91804

View attachment 91799View attachment 91800

View attachment 91802

So there you go.
Quite foggy in Eggishford I see!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@hexagon789 - Here you go. :)

Quite foggy in Eggishford I see!

It does look like it a bit. I think it was evening light in the room without the sun. :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
@hexagon789 - Here you go. :)

It does look like it a bit. I think it was evening light in the room without the sun. :lol:
Oh I see, from eBay. Thanks

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had a proper go with the new grass today and it’s much much more like what I’d done before.
These are still work in progress photos and I’ve actually trimmed the grass down with a beard trimmer since taking these. There’s also more trees to go in but it’s starting to look like something now hopefully.

This is the Exeter end:

D96FE03D-0DA9-4F1A-9F46-FC61A8F676B6.jpeg

And this is the Barnstaple end (next stop Eggishford):

3DA72E96-310F-469B-A17C-67DF53031F37.jpeg

B7F4DECF-608C-4368-8579-DF1982048623.jpeg

I think I’m going to enjoy doing the bits around the river in the last photo. I’ve even got an N gauge duck somewhere. ;)

Peter C

Established Member
I had a proper go with the new grass today and it’s much much more like what I’d done before.
These are still work in progress photos and I’ve actually trimmed the grass down with a beard trimmer since taking these. There’s also more trees to go in but it’s starting to look like something now hopefully.

This is the Exeter end:

View attachment 91849

View attachment 91850

View attachment 91851

I think I’m going to enjoy doing the bits around the river in the last photo. I’ve even got an N gauge duck somewhere. ;)
Wow - that looks really cool @Cowley! The first and last photos are my favourite - especially the last one as it gives the feeling that you're stood there in the landscape. Trimming grass with a beard trimmer is a new technique to me - I expect it's most effective in model form, though; whether I'd want to use one on the garden I don't know... ;)

I also like the sound of a duck: please say it's a mallard (and that you've got an A4 somewhere)...!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member

This is the Exeter end:

View attachment 91849

View attachment 91850

View attachment 91851

I need about 1000 trees, any ideas? lol

reddragon

Established Member

This is the Exeter end:

View attachment 91849

View attachment 91850

View attachment 91851

Who would have guessed what this looked like not long ago, covered in snow! Really good

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks chaps, really appreciate it. :)
@reddragon - I don’t know. The decent ones are very expensive. That’s why I started doing them myself. Mind you, there’s not that many trees on the S&C. ;)

reddragon

Established Member
Thanks chaps, really appreciate it. :)
@reddragon - I don’t know. The decent ones are very expensive. That’s why I started doing them myself. Mind you, there’s not that many trees on the S&C. ;)
But my S&C viaduct is on the Western Region between Lemmington Grizzy and a Southern Railway Station TBN. Oh Arrg we av trees down ear you know.

takno

Established Member
Interested by the beard trimmer idea. Static grass always looks just a bit too big for me in OO. In N gauge it can make a scattering look like a waist-high jungle. It's definitely only a problem from some angles though

hexagon789

Veteran Member

This is the Exeter end:

View attachment 91849

View attachment 91850

View attachment 91851

I have but one word - superb. Really looking magnificent with all that lush green

I also like the sound of a duck: please say it's a mallard (and that you've got an A4 somewhere)...!
How apt would that be! ;)

I need about 1000 trees, any ideas? lol
Ask a Norwegian? We seem to get all our 'real' Xmas trees from there so they must have some trees going spare?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks @hexagon789. It’s not always easy sharing stuff that isn’t finished yet but then again we’re all learning on here.
As Morcheba said, it’s all...

;)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks @hexagon789. It’s not always easy sharing stuff that isn’t finished yet but then again we’re all learning on here.
As Morcheba said, it’s all...

;)
I'm always grateful for others sharing their trials and tribulations, as you rightly say - we all learn together

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I took a trip up to Lapford to take a few photos and measurements of the back of the old Ambrosia factory today.
A couple of years ago I had a look around and took some photos but because I wasn’t planning on modelling the back I didn’t bother too much about it, I’ve recently been thinking about redoing some of it though, plus I’ve been chatting to a guy on rmweb about it and I promised him that I’d take a few photos and measurements for him.

Anyway I showed the lad I spoke to last time a few photos of the railway and he was really into it.
I ended up leaving with this which is now our new garden bench for the fire pit:

A2169538-5515-4AA5-9647-2013FD7AAF78.jpeg

It’s the box for a rocket launcher for a Tornado!
Mrs C is arranging it and wondering if we might have had enough of dealing with munitions this week...

reddragon

Established Member
I took a trip up to Lapford to take a few photos and measurements of the back of the old Ambrosia factory today.
A couple of years ago I had a look around and took some photos but because I wasn’t planning on modelling the back I didn’t bother too much about it, I’ve recently been thinking about redoing some of it though, plus I’ve been chatting to a guy on rmweb about it and I promised him that I’d take a few photos and measurements for him.

Anyway I showed the lad I spoke to last time a few photos of the railway and he was really into it.
I ended up leaving with this which is now our new garden bench for the fire pit:

View attachment 91931

It’s the box for a rocket launcher for a Tornado!
Mrs C is arranging it and wondering if we might have had enough of dealing with munitions this week...
Mrs C clearly is better than Demi Moore :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mrs C clearly is better than Demi Moore :)
:lol::lol:

Very nice work Nick, the bottom shot looks real :)

It’s looking better now @Iskra. ;)

Had a good bit of time on it this weekend and I’ve mainly concentrated on the section towards Barnstaple (I’ve got three new bits on the go at the moment).
I’d say that this is pretty much finished apart from a couple of bits of detail and whatever I end up doing with the backscene.

Here’s a top view of it. You can see the joins in the board where the farm tracks are still but I’ll find a way of disguising them at some point.

625D5C19-811D-4403-8A74-E3FAB69CAF84.jpeg

And this is where the railway disappears into the backscene through Nymet Roland bridge:

2BBD3F94-186A-4698-9EDD-FE4C92B52A51.jpeg

F68C7FCC-367B-4626-8669-9671E5A2F2D6.jpeg

The Bubble Car rattling its way towards Barnstaple...

197CE883-F0F7-41E6-9A06-206CE5AE1E30.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Had a good bit of time on it this weekend and I’ve mainly concentrated on the section towards Barnstaple (I’ve got three new bits on the go at the moment).
I’d say that this is pretty much finished apart from a couple of bits of detail and whatever I end up doing with the backscene.

Here’s a top view of it. You can see the joins in the board where the farm tracks are still but I’ll find a way of disguising them at some point.

View attachment 92013

And this is where the railway disappears into the backscene through Nymet Roland bridge:

View attachment 92014

View attachment 92016

The Bubble Car rattling its way towards Barnstaple...

View attachment 92018
Excellent work @Cowley - the extra detail really adds to the scenes you shared before.
I'm trying to think of a way you could hide the join between the boards: only trouble is that because they go over the light-coloured roads it makes them more obvious. Maybe you could put a car or something else on them over the join (i.e. glue it on one side and then it covers both boards)?

-Peter