• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last train tonight from Euston departs at 2242 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

strawbrick

We have tickets to a show this evening near Leicester Square in central London. The show starts at 2000 and finishes at 2300. Our plan was to come home on the 2342, 0005 or 0035 (journey time home circa 30 minutes) and on that basis I bought the required train tickets yesterday.

This morning I went on the National Rail site to check that I had the return times correctly. I immediately noticed that all trains out of Euston after the 2242 have yellow warning triangles beside them! Further investigation lead to a revised time table showing a bus replacement service from 2304; journey time to home of 75 minutes.

A note on the website reads:
"
Check before you travel:

These changes are not currently shown in the National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner. We are expecting trains to show correct later on this evening, so we advise that customers check back later on today."

Given the extended travel time and our hesitancy to travel on a potentially crowded bus we are not willing to catch the bus.

To ensure that we can catch the 2242 we would need to leave the show by 2210 at the latest, just over half-way through and so we have decided to cancel and re-book at a later date.

In the circumstances, can I claim a refund? I have not yet collected the tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
We have tickets to a show this evening near Leicester Square in central London. The show starts at 2000 and finishes at 2300. Our plan was to come home on the 2342, 0005 or 0035 (journey time home circa 30 minutes) and on that basis I bought the required train tickets yesterday.

This morning I went on the National Rail site to check that I had the return times correctly. I immediately noticed that all trains out of Euston after the 2242 have yellow warning triangles beside them! Further investigation lead to a revised time table showing a bus replacement service from 2304; journey time to home of 75 minutes.

A note on the website reads:
"
Check before you travel:

These changes are not currently shown in the National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner. We are expecting trains to show correct later on this evening, so we advise that customers check back later on today."

Given the extended travel time and our hesitancy to travel on a potentially crowded bus we are not willing to catch the bus.

To ensure that we can catch the 2242 we would need to leave the show by 2210 at the latest, just over half-way through and so we have decided to cancel and re-book at a later date.

In the circumstances, can I claim a refund? I have not yet collected the tickets.
You will be able to claim a refund, but may incur a £10 admin fee.

Edited to remove incorrect information before anybody else decides to pull me up on it.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An admin fee would not be payable unless these changes were already publicised at the point OP bought their tickets.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'd feel very aggrieved to be charged an admin fee when the trains were showing as running as normal when I bought the ticket.

I'd take this as effectively the train has been cancelled, so the pax can claim a full refund.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Fair enough. I wonder how many people have been caught out by the very short notice changes to the timetable.
Any who booked before the timetable changed would be entitled to alternative transport. That's not to say they would necessarily be given it!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Any who booked before the timetable changed would be entitled to alternative transport. That's not to say they would necessarily be given it!
The OP stated that rail replacement buses are being provided.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The OP stated that rail replacement buses are being provided.
Ah, right. From the OP I'd understood there was just the one bus at 23:04, but upon looking up the timetable there is indeed a bus replacement for each cancelled service.

Unfortunately it's not always the case that bus replacements are provided, hence my post.

sonic2009

Established Member
Network Rail are carrying out emergency works this evening due to the flooding that occurred in the last few days, hence the late changes. I can understand your questions about travelling on a bus, but it's no different from travelling on a busy train, and social distancing will be in place.

island

Veteran Member
As rail replacement buses are in place, I’m not sure I necessarily agree a fee-free refund will be available as an entitlement; however, it may well be given anyway.

DelayRepay can probably be claimed based on the timetable in place at time of purchase, assuming one has evidence of same.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I’m not sure I necessarily agree a fee-free refund will be available as an entitlement
The entitlement is in the case of cancellation or delay, and I doubt anybody could realistically argue that a replacement bus is not going result in a delay.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As rail replacement buses are in place, I’m not sure I necessarily agree a fee-free refund will be available as an entitlement; however, it may well be given anyway.

DelayRepay can probably be claimed based on the timetable in place at time of purchase, assuming one has evidence of same.

NRCoT:

30.YOUR RIGHT TO A REFUND IF YOUR TRAIN IS DISRUPTED AND YOU CHOOSE NOT TO TRAVEL

30.1. If the train you intended to use is cancelled, delayed, or your reservation will not be honoured, and you decide not to travel, you may return the unused Ticket to the original retailer or Train Company from whom it was purchased, where you will be given a full refund with no administration fee being charged.This Condition applies to all Tickets, including Tickets (such as Advance Tickets) that are otherwise non-refundable, and also applies if you have begun your journey but are unable to complete it due to delay or cancellations and return to your point of origin.

I cannot see any possible ambiguity in that with regard to this situation. There will be a delay to the train intended to be used based on what was timetabled when the ticket was purchased, and therefore a full refund is due.

Delay Repay is applicable if you did travel.

sonic2009

Established Member

Evidence of the timetable could be the normal weekday timetable for a Wednesday for trains from Euston? Given that this is emergency works?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Evidence of the timetable could be the normal weekday timetable for a Wednesday for trains from Euston? Given that this is emergency works?

The timetable applicable with regard to fee free refunds or Delay Repay is the one in force at the time the ticket was purchased, because that is the basis of the contract. Some TOCs try to deny this, but I've not found that LNR or Avanti are a problem in this regard.

island

Veteran Member
Many thanks for all the comments!

How do I send the unused tickets back to LN?
You’ll need to check the website of the company you bought from for the process to follow.

For uncollected tickets there is often an online option in your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.