• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Truly Closed Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lincolnshire

Was Leeds Whitehall on the left hand side of the triangle (looking north from the former Hunslet works) that does not normally see passenger trains using it, or was it sited somewhere else?
It was sited on the line side near Whitehall Road Goods Yard ( the yard with the overhead crane in it ) just beyond the station . Looking at my Quail map you seem to have the location spot on it was after going under Farnley Viaduct.

Strathclyder

Established Member
At a guess, IBM has more chance of regaining service than Redcar British Steel... subject to what happens with either site. Are there still plans for significant housebuilding at the former IBM Spango Valley site? If so there's probably a reasonable case for it, though probably with a new name.
Indeed, the future of IBM hinges on whether or not the proposal for the site's redevelopment as a mixed-use affair lodged back in February 2020 gets the green light (this Inverclyde Council Proposed Action Programme PDF file dating from May this year - at the bottom of the 4th page - has the proposal listed under Future Action Required as 'Determination of planning application', so who knows when we'll hear anything else).

A name change I'd expect to be part of this should the green light be given, given that IBM vacated the site completely in October 2016, though to what exactly (either Spango Valley or Ravenscraig after the 1865-1944 station once sited to the north of IBM) of course remains to be seen.

2010 - Workington North closes. The station was temporary, built in order to replace the roads and bus connections that had been suspended by the Derwent floods of 2009.
Heading north to Scotland and while not fitting within the parameters of the OP's query, the two following station closures in 2010, both associated with the Airdrie-Bathgate project, are worth a mention:

Drumgelloch (1989) - closed on 9th May 2010, replaced by a new station with the same name 550 meters to the east on the site of the original 1862-1956 station, this finally opened nearly 3 months after the rest of the line (12th Dec. 2010) on 6th March 2011 due to the unusually severe winter that year; a replacement bus service being provided in the interim.

Bathgate (1986) - closed at the end of service on 16th October 2010, replaced by a new station just under half a mile to the east two days later on the 18th October (a replacement bus service was provided on the 17th).

Last edited:

Shimbleshanks

Fairly recent (June 2003) closures in Northern Ireland are Ballinderry, Glenavy and Crumlin on the Lisburn-Antrim line which was bypassed when the cross-Belfast line was opened, allowing trains to go from the city to Antrim and on to Londonderry by a more direct route compared with the long meander south, west and north.
According to Wikipedia, Translink operated a skeleton service on the line after the direct line opened, but then gave notice that it would be shut. Seemingly, closure procedures are less vigorous in Northern Ireland compared with the rest of the UK.
The Lisburn-Antrim line itself has been mothballed but not lifted, and there are sporadic calls to return all or part of it to use as part of a link to Belfast International Airport.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
trains last stopped at Norton Bridge in 2004 but not officially closed until 2017

Folkestone Harbour was in use until 2009 but was officially closed in 2014
What was Folkestone Harbour used for back in 2009? I was only 13 at the time but don’t remember news of a single train bound for there

zwk500

Veteran Member
What was Folkestone Harbour used for back in 2009? I was only 13 at the time but don’t remember news of a single train bound for there
The Belmond Pullman used to use it as the transfer point for the coach to Calais on their orient express excursions, among other railtours.

steamybrian

Established Member
The Belmond Pullman used to use it as the transfer point for the coach to Calais on their orient express excursions, among other railtours.
I agree as the Belmond Pullman ran one regular train a day each way until 2009 in addition to the occasional railtours . There are films on "youtube" of the official last trains in 2009.

SargeNpton

Established Member
You might call it that, but unless you can produce a three-letter station code and some patronage statistics separate to Leeds actual station, it's a temporary platform. You couldn't change from a train from Castleford to one to London, I grant you...
Regarding Leeds Whitehall, the three-letter CRS Code was LZZ. Though it had no fares of its own, to appear in journey enquiries it had to be treated as a station in its own right for the time that it was in operation.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Regarding Leeds Whitehall, the three-letter CRS Code was LZZ. Though it had no fares of its own, to appear in journey enquiries it had to be treated as a station in its own right for the time that it was in operation.
Well, paint me blue and call me Brenda!

Now if only there were patronage figures as well... wonder if the ORR data still goes back that far?

JWK

Not going to win this, but if Leeds Whitehall or Workington North are in the mix, honorary mention should perhaps be given to Heathrow Junction, which closed on 22 June 1998, having been open since January of the same year. Allowed Heathrow Express services to start running, with bus connection to the terminals themselves, despite the delay to opening the route caused by the tunnel collapse during construction.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Well, paint me blue and call me Brenda!

Now if only there were patronage figures as well... wonder if the ORR data still goes back that far?

Presumably was it an "interchange only" station, in that fares could only be bought to or from Leeds, not Leeds Whitehall.

Status
Not open for further replies.