• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Later trains from Waterloo to Guildford on Saturday nights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've noticed there are more later trains on a Saturday night from London to Guildford than there are Monday to Friday. Are they positioning moves or is there currently more passenger demand on a Saturday night?

This evening, Friday, I rush back to Waterloo to catch the 23:15, as it takes 34 minutes as opposed to over an hour on the later trains.

On a Saturday night, there is a 23:45. On Sunday it's 23:30.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I've noticed there are more later trains on a Saturday night from London to Guildford than there are Monday to Friday. Are they positioning moves or is there currently more passenger demand on a Saturday night?

This evening, Friday, I rush back to Waterloo to catch the 23:15, as it takes 34 minutes as opposed to over an hour on the later trains.

On a Saturday night, there is a 23:45. On Sunday it's 23:30.

Generally there is more demand for leisure travel on a Saturday than a weekday and the timetable is tailored towards that, for example there are two fast trains an hour to Portsmouth on Saturdays but only one beyond Haslemere on weekdays.

TEW

Established Member
There's also a 0016 fast to Guildford on a Saturday night/ Sunday morning.

Veteran Member
And IIRC the engineers have the line for a few hours during the week.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Generally there is more demand for leisure travel on a Saturday than a weekday and the timetable is tailored towards that, for example there are two fast trains an hour to Portsmouth on Saturdays but only one beyond Haslemere on weekdays.

There's also a 0016 fast to Guildford on a Saturday night/ Sunday morning.
I hadn't noticed the 0:16 service. Very handy

There are later trains towards Basingstoke and beyond on a Friday.

For example next Friday evening there is the 23:12, 23:35, 23:42, 0:13 and 1:05, so are some of these positioning moves? The 23;12, 23:42 and 0:13 are semi-fast services and the last 4 all depart after the last fast service to Guildford. The 1:05 is a fast service though and departs 1 hour and 50 minutes after the last fast service to Guildford.

I appreciate there are later stopping services to Guildford but they don't have any loos on board at this time if I recall correctly. I appreciate at some point in the future that is meant to change.

Also after the 23:42 Woking to Guildford, service departs, there isn't another one until 01:11 in the morning I guess there wouldn't be much demand from Woking at this time either

I just would have expected enough demand on Friday evening to warrant a later train.

TEW

Established Member
The initial plan was the 0016 fast to Guildford via Woking to run both Friday and Saturday nights but only the Saturday one has been introduced at the moment. The 2345 Portsmouth Harbour service is still missing from the weekday timetable compared to pre Covid too.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The initial plan was the 0016 fast to Guildford via Woking to run both Friday and Saturday nights but only the Saturday one has been introduced at the moment. The 2345 Portsmouth Harbour service is still missing from the weekday timetable compared to pre Covid too.
I was initially wondering if staffing issues was part of the reason for the 23:45 not running. In my opinion if there is no demand Monday to Thursday, just run the 23:45 on a Friday until demand picks up, assuming their is enough demand on a Friday.

I obviously havwnt been on the Friday night (Saturday morning) 01:05 to Bournemouth service so I don't know what the demand on that is like at the moment.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In the pre- COVID timetable, the later trains on FrIday are the old full Monday to Friday timetable, they aren’t really extras, it’s the other weekdays that had removals to give maintenance access. It happened a few years ago.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
From September the Portsmouth line is recast on weekday evenings to give departures from Waterloo at 22.00, 22.30, 23.00 (was 22.45) and 23.30 (was 23.15) which gives a better spread of service and later departures.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This was one of the Holden Review recommendations - earlier finishes Mon-Thurs to enable maintenance, later finishes Fri / Sat when demand is higher.

pompeyfan

Established Member
The 0016 Waterloo Guildford via Woking (1F83) was booked an 8.455. Some rare booked FL thrash country side of Surbiton.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The 0016 Waterloo Guildford via Woking (1F83) was booked an 8.455. Some rare booked FL thrash country side of Surbiton.
Is that common? I quite fancy that trip. I can put up with 34 minutes without access to a loo. I'm less keen on it being 58 minutes or longer though, as I have some long term health conditions. I have done fast running to Surbiton before on the Guildford New Line so it might not be that different.

Status
Not open for further replies.