• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's still a hell of alot better than what there was beforehand (the dingy subways for a start!)
Tbh the incremental improvements (opening up the Southern Concourse roof, platform 0, southern entrance etc) have done the best they can but there's alot more that needs doing. I know there's work planned although I doubt what is needed will be fully funded and Leeds will get a bargain basement version!

Yes, I remember the subway and its aromatic toilet :lol:

I think the next priority should be extending p17.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Indeed. There are many aspects of the turn of the century refurb that I think still work well - the train shed, transfer deck and refurbished North concourse in particular, but we're getting on for a quarter of a century so some TLC will understandably be due.
It's still a hell of alot better than what there was beforehand (the dingy subways for a start!)
Tbh the incremental improvements (opening up the Southern Concourse roof, platform 0, southern entrance etc) have done the best they can but there's alot more that needs doing. I know there's work planned although I doubt what is needed will be fully funded and Leeds will get a bargain basement version!
It’s definitely far better than the pre 2000 station and the recent upgrades have massively helped.

The taxi stand will be by the new entrance from what I understand.

Future plans include demolishing the admin block to further extend the concourse. This will mean moving Traincrew and station staff to a new location somewhere in the station (probably the Aire Street offices).

Network Rail have desired this for a long time (valuable station real estate) and it almost happened with the refurbishment of City House where not just LNER, XC, Northern and Network Rail local staff would have moved and Alex Hynes wanted to move Northern’s HQ and east side training centre into there too. Sadly Bruntwood wanted silly money to rent space and non of the companies wanted to entertain such a price hike from what they already had and stayed put.

P17 will happen and is in the planning stages.

HarryL

Future plans include demolishing the admin block to further extend the concourse. This will mean moving Traincrew and station staff to a new location somewhere in the station (probably the Aire Street offices).
Isn't most of the space under that building already part of the concourse, the ticket barriers are under it aren't they? Unless you mean they intend to remove the walls/ceiling above the barriers and fully open the space to the train shed?

Neptune

Established Member
Isn't most of the space under that building already part of the concourse, the ticket barriers are under it aren't they? Unless you mean they intend to remove the walls/ceiling above the barriers and fully open the space to the train shed?
It covers the barrier area but the rest of it is office space at ground floor level.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
As others have said room for a 150 metre (ish) platform on 17 is probably the only remaining meaningful enhancement to the existing station that's practical within the next few years. If that does go ahead it will certainly be a big difference between the Leeds of the early 2010s and the Leeds of 2026. But presumably the turnout and signal will need to be moved quite a long way to get that right.

One thing which I know has been mentioned on here a thousand times that I wish would improve is the cleaning of platform areas. It's definitely better than it was, but some of the places where dust and litter gather on the floor, tracks and roof and in corners looks unbearable.

Neptune

Established Member
As others have said room for a 150 metre (ish) platform on 17 is probably the only remaining meaningful enhancement to the existing station that's practical within the next few years. If that does go ahead it will certainly be a big difference between the Leeds of the early 2010s and the Leeds of 2026. But presumably the turnout and signal will need to be moved quite a long way to get that right.
P17 will happen it’s just a case of when (others may be in a better place to answer this). This is the only practical platform enhancement left to do.

Platform 0 and the associated works that went with it sorted out capacity at that side of the station. The only issue left will be through platform capacity which is always a pinch point and not easily solved and of course east end capacity. These are the two main issues that people don’t seem to grasp when it comes to these ridiculous ideas of terminating XC at Leeds and shunting out to the east end.
One thing which I know has been mentioned on here a thousand times that I wish would improve is the cleaning of platform areas. It's definitely better than it was, but some of the places where dust and litter gather on the floor, tracks and roof and in corners looks unbearable.
Yes it does look grubby and whenever I cross the bridge you can see how filthy the roof area is. The east end bridge is so dingy. Such a shame they didn’t at least put glass panels in it to brighten it up.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
P17 will happen it’s just a case of when (others may be in a better place to answer this). This is the only practical platform enhancement left to do.

Platform 0 and the associated works that went with it sorted out capacity at that side of the station. The only issue left will be through platform capacity which is always a pinch point and not easily solved and of course east end capacity. These are the two main issues that people don’t seem to grasp when it comes to these ridiculous ideas of terminating XC at Leeds and shunting out to the east end.

Yes it does look grubby and whenever I cross the bridge you can see how filthy the roof area is. The east end bridge is so dingy. Such a shame they didn’t at least put glass panels in it to brighten it up.

I liked the East end bridge until someone frosted the glass on it so that you couldn't overlook the station (apparently a safety initiative, although the transport deck at the west seems to manage without this "initiative").

modernrail

I still think is a massive shame they have never found a way to integrate the dark arches into the station, for taxi/drop off and for an expanded concourse. Something St Pancras style would be great.

The Southern entrance could have been so much less convoluted as well.