• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

Neptune

Established Member
Certainly the inside of the trainshed needs a good clean. Perhaps they're getting round to it.
Such a shame they didn’t make the roof all glass (ETFE, the self cleaning stuff?) during Leeds 1st. It would have flooded even more light onto the platforms and looked classier than the tin roof.

It’s an improvement over the old pre-2000 roof though so I suppose we should be grateful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigman

I had a look on the station a week or so ago and I was impressed by the job they have done on the new Platform 0. It even smells new. The barrier end of Platform 1 is still far too dingy and could really do with some sprucing up.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Such a shame they didn’t make the roof all glass (ETFE, the self cleaning stuff?) during Leeds 1st. It would have flooded even more light onto the platforms and looked classier than the tin roof.

It’s an improvement over the old pre-2000 roof though so I suppose we should be grateful.

This is true. But it is over twenty years now, so the platform area is due a bit of a scrub up.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

ETFE is the "plastic pillows" used on Manchester Piccadilly and New Street concourses, Eden Project etc. It appears to be effective in all those places, though they get a lot less internal pollution than Leeds. Self-cleaning glass looks like ordinary glass, only cleaner.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Externally, the former platform 0 work compound has been kerbed and is getting the blackstuff laid so it can be returned to use as a car park. It still amazes/saddens me that, two years on, people are still trying to park in the multi-storey even though it remains closed to the public ("But Google says..."). Won't be long now though.

_toommm_

Established Member
The work on the back wall behind P16 are to install new louvres (windows).

(The photo below is a stand on Platform 16, with a sign that says ‘We’re installing new louvres at your station. Please bear with us while we undertake the works’).

D8C8BD76-18CD-4304-B04C-24DFEF39CDED.jpeg

JaJaWa

Established Member
The work on the back wall behind P16 are to install new louvres (windows).

(The photo below is a stand on Platform 16, with a sign that says ‘We’re installing new louvres at your station. Please bear with us while we undertake the works’).

View attachment 95890
If it means windows, they probably should have written windows. I’ve Googled the word and still not too clear what’s it’s referring to.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
If it means windows, they probably should have written windows. I’ve Googled the word and still not too clear what’s it’s referring to.
My understanding of the word 'louvres' is air vents, which they were on that side of the building before. I'm presuming this is to improve air quality especially with 68s frequently passing through the adjacent platforms!

skyhigh

Established Member
My understanding of the word 'louvres' is air vents, which they were on that side of the building before. I'm presuming this is to improve air quality especially with 68s frequently passing through the adjacent platforms!
Yeah I think they're just replacing the slats that were there before.

ohgoditsjames

Why wasn’t the new flooring put it whilst we were in lockdown, when passenger usage was incredibly low? Starting work on the new flooring after we come out of lockdown where passengers are going to make a return is laughable.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Went to the station to pick up a penguin prescription this lunchtime - the new flooring looks good, if a bit meh. Leeds is being dressed in New Network Rail Standard. One does have to wonder if they'd be finished by now if they're used larger tiles...

Also: between last night and my return home, the other surface car park was white (and yellow) lined, so can't be too far away from being reopened. I did wonder why they didn't turn it into another multi-storey, even if it was just one more deck, to release more spaces in the existing multi-storey which has reserved spaces in it. Arches not strong enough?

Adam0984

I've been told that the area isn't strong enough for either turning the level car park into a low height multi storey or turning the current multi storey into a higher one

Roose

Why wasn’t the new flooring put it whilst we were in lockdown, when passenger usage was incredibly low? Starting work on the new flooring after we come out of lockdown where passengers are going to make a return is laughable.
Because the flooring contractors were in 'lockdown', perhaps?

skyhigh

Established Member
The start of work was delayed by Covid. Work has been ongoing for weeks now, possibly even a couple of months. It's not a quick process- remove old flooring with a mini digger, put temporarily coverings down until it's all removed, install the new underfloor heating system and then put the new flooring down on top.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Are they replacing the navigational signs within the station? Are they using the new NR house-style pictograms and New Rail Alphabet font?
Navigational signs: hard to tell. They're not consistent in some places and have had bit hung off the bottom of some of them (also, a bit hard to read the concourse finger signs if you're in a wheelchair I'd have thought, they're very high up). Pictograms? Haven't seen them side-by-side or in a file to check. Alphabet? Apparently yes, on P0.

There does seem to be a new visual standard for NR's new and revamped stations from the drawings that crop up though. The front of Leeds (City) Station - the gold and lettering - reminded me of a New Euston drawing but I can't find it now (typically).

HarryL

Are they replacing the navigational signs within the station? Are they using the new NR house-style pictograms and New Rail Alphabet font?
I don't think they've started rolling this out yet, I think it was London Victoria(?) that they wanted to roll it out in first but that's not happened yet.

Currently Leeds is using a mix of old Railtrack signage, later Network Rail adaptations and the latest ones that break standards (Platform 0 uses original BR Rail Alphabet instead of Brunel or the new). It would have made sense for them to have rolled out the new signage in Leeds first alongside the Platform 0 addition in my opinion, but it's looking likely that it'll happen here at some point in the long future instead.

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
Sainsbury's on the station is closing for around 2 weeks from the 24th.

_toommm_

Established Member
The flooring is pretty much done, with only a small section in front of the barriers left to do:

(The photo below shows Leeds station concourse, with its new blue tiled floor)

6C36B904-BB01-4666-A30E-39D60339B37A.jpeg

takno

Established Member
The flooring is pretty much done, with only a small section in front of the barriers left to do:

View attachment 96754
Oh wow, that is.... Astonishingly different. I was last there a couple of years and that concourse was basically the same as when I lived there in the 90s, or for that matter when I first visited in the early 80s

HarryL

View attachment 96754
Looks great, tons better than before. What's going on with the information desk with the "We have moved" sign? Are they already getting rid or is something else intended to take its place?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, it looks nice, but I'd rather they'd spent the money on a new platform or a passing loop somewhere, personally.

skyhigh

Established Member
Looks great, tons better than before. What's going on with the information desk with the "We have moved" sign? Are they already getting rid or is something else intended to take its place?
It's just moved while the flooring works are going on.

Neptune

Established Member
Well, it looks nice, but I'd rather they'd spent the money on a new platform or a passing loop somewhere, personally.
Because the funding was for station improvements which includes the concourse, west end resignalling, trackwork improvements and a new platform.