• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

skyhigh

Established Member
Looking again at the car parks... the multi-storey is definitey open to the public now (the yellow sign has gone and even Google thinks it's open). But the top decks are almost empty, and I can't see much going on lower down. In the Before Times it would be full just after 9am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays until around 6pm. The open air car park off Aire Street (what was 11 to 15 Wellington Street) is closed so you wonder where those people are now.

It's a good indication, I guess, of just how much commuting travel has dropped off post-Covid.
It reopened on the 1st of June. Didn't that open air car park close a couple of years ago now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
It reopened on the 1st of June. Didn't that open air car park close a couple of years ago now?
No, only a couple of months back. Difficult to see what they're doing in there with the large blue gates in place.

skyhigh

Established Member
No, only a couple of months back. Difficult to see what they're doing in there with the large blue gates in place.
I obviously haven't been paying that much attention then! They're busy digging foundations for something, we get a pretty good view from inside Prince's Exchange just opposite

YorksLad12

Established Member
There’s an office building going in there.
Ugh. When I worked across the road there were plans for six storeys; then ten; then I think plans for a 14-storey building. It must be nearly 20 years since the previous building was knocked down, so about time something was done there, I guess.

Then again: if they build it; move everyone over from Princes Square; knock that down and build a multi-storey car park; knock down the existing car park and turn it back into platforms, then I'm all for it :lol:

Neptune

Established Member
Ugh. When I worked across the road there were plans for six storeys; then ten; then I think plans for a 14-storey building. It must be nearly 20 years since the previous building was knocked down, so about time something was done there, I guess.

Then again: if they build it; move everyone over from Princes Square; knock that down and build a multi-storey car park; knock down the existing car park and turn it back into platforms, then I'm all for it :lol:
I think the chances of Princess Exchange disappearing are south of zero.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
It's a good indication, I guess, of just how much commuting travel has dropped off post-Covid.
I wouldn't put much of an indication on those who already have access to a car. Anyway I wonder if the multistory could be used to replace the staff car park so that we could have platform minus 1!

JRT

Find out what developments are planned for Leeds railway station and its approaches.

The idea is to pedestrianise New Station Street that's outside the main entrance.

So to get a taxi you're obliged to get down to a lower level on Bishopsgate Street by means of steps or a lift.

Instead of a bus just outside the door (ok only a few routes stop there) you have a short trek over to Boar Lane or other nearby streets.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Find out what developments are planned for Leeds railway station and its approaches.

The idea is to pedestrianise New Station Street that's outside the main entrance.

So to get a taxi you're obliged to get down to a lower level on Bishopsgate Street by means of steps or a lift.

Instead of a bus just outside the door (ok only a few routes stop there) you have a short trek over to Boar Lane or other nearby streets.
Aye. Nothing new there, that's been in the various plans (including, I think, LISM - Leeds Integrated Station Masterplan) for a few years now. Having to "cross a busy road to reach the taxi rank" is utter bollo though! And the taxi drivers are going to kick up a stink. They already think that the creation of Leeds Station Interchange cost them spaces (it didn't, it just shuffled the space around).

Based on my own experience I doubt cyclists will cross over from the left of Neville Street to the right of Bishopgate Street, they'll just continue up the road. I assume the Queens Hotel goods entrance is moved back round the corner onto Neville Street, if indeed there's access under it. The current bus stop on Bishopgate Street (Z1) will need moving; I did suggest putting it on City Square in a previous consultation but it should end up on Infirmary Street. Bus station-rail station connectivity is reduced as the city bus won't be able to call directly outside.

But, ignoring for the moment that they only finished bits 18 months ago that they want to dig up again in two years, and that BTP don't seem to have anywhere to park outside their offices... it looks lovely.

HarryL

And the taxi drivers are going to kick up a stink. They already think that the creation of Leeds Station Interchange cost them spaces (it didn't, it just shuffled the space around).
The taxis and buses would have to move either way, the council a few days ago announced the winners of the City Square redevelopment project and it almost completely pedestrianises it, getting rid of the road infront of the hotel and cutting off the end of New Station Street.

Attachments

• City-Square-evening-concept-42444-1623855055.jpg
    City-Square-evening-concept-42444-1623855055.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 68

YorksLad12

Established Member
The taxis and buses would have to move either way, the council a few days ago announced the winners of the City Square redevelopment project and it almost completely pedestrianises it, getting rid of the road infront of the hotel and cutting off the end of New Station Street.
Interesting. Presumambly then, also pedestrianising Wellington Street as far as King Street (and the one-way section of Aire Street, and part of Quebec Street) as there'll be no way to reach it. And turning King Street two-way so that traffic runs from Boar Lane (and the relocated stops) via City Square and Infirmary Street back to Wellington Street. Unless they're planning on a single bus-only lane. Clearly, I need to some research ;)

Getting back on topic: has anyone heard of any plans to improve the short stay and drop-off area? I can't think of anything simple that could be done there (hence my 'joke' above about knocking down Prince's Exchange).

Andyh82

Established Member

The bus stops used to be on Boar Lane until about 15 years ago, and then they moved in front of the station, and now they are moving back again?

Making Neville Street and Bishopgate Street one lane when its part of the Loop Road looks like a recipe for congestion to me, it's already very busy with two lanes

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Drivers of private hire vehicles (as opposed to Hackney Carriages) often advise passengers to wait by the doors from the Midland concourse by the Wetherspoon's:- or at least did prior to the works on the platforms, which AIUI have affected access to that side.

YorksLad12

Established Member
The bus stops used to be on Boar Lane until about 15 years ago, and then they moved in front of the station, and now they are moving back again?

Making Neville Street and Bishopgate Street one lane when its part of the Loop Road looks like a recipe for congestion to me, it's already very busy with two lanes
The original plan for the southern part of the city loop was to run via Sovereign Street and Neville Street rather than Swinegate. I'm assuming that the formal loop has been abandoned; Quebec Street was down to one lane thanks to parking, well before the building work, and now that the taxi queue is planned for Swinegate , that's that. I've not read the detail yet, but I doubt they'll be sending general traffic up Neville Street, City Square (Park Row) and Infirmary Street, it'll get in the way of the bus traffic.

Drivers of private hire vehicles (as opposed to Hackney Carriages) often advise passengers to wait by the doors from the Midland concourse by the Wetherspoon's:- or at least did prior to the works on the platforms, which AIUI have affected access to that side.
Still open, I think - isn't that the drop-off/pick-up and short stay part? The (...) have a habit of laying over at Whitehall Quay then executing a right-hand turn onto Aire Street to reach the station, despite the sign saying no right turn. The bit in front of The Queens is generally patrolled by The Queens's staff, and you can't escape the station via the goods entrance off P1 (except in an emergency).

Edit: I had a further thought. Where will the Rail Replacement Buses run from/to? They won't be able to use anywhere from Water Lane northwards, as that will be single lane or cycle lane or fully pedestrianised. They can't use the short stay/drop-off area (no room) nor Southern Entrance (no room, no coach access).

Depite what the Council's plans say I think it likely there will have to be a single lane of traffic outside The Queens, for their own traffic if for no other reason.

Last edited:

Mollman

Established Member

This really is in tune with Bus Back Better and Williams-Shapps which both say councils should be improving bus/rail interchange!

YorksLad12

Established Member
This really is in tune with Bus Back Better and Williams-Shapps which both say councils should be improving bus/rail interchange!
There isn't even a consultation, unless I've missed a link somewhere. Really you have to consider it with the latest plans for City Square, which includes closing off all four lanes and the lay-by outside The Queens.

quantinghome

Established Member
There isn't even a consultation, unless I've missed a link somewhere. Really you have to consider it with the latest plans for City Square, which includes closing off all four lanes and the lay-by outside The Queens.
Pretty sure they've been designed in a joined up way.

YorksLad12

Established Member
A new "railway neighbour" letter has arrived, regarding work taking place overnight (11pm-midday) on Saturdays 18, 25 September, 2, 8 October and from Friday 29 October (11pm) to Monday 1 November (4am) between platforms 4 and 6.

"As part of this work, we need to build a new chamber between platforms 3 and 4. This is in advance of an under track crossing (UTX) being installed, which is required for signalling cables to pass under the track. We will also be carrying over some overhead line equipment (OLE) work including wire runs."

I have to admit, the quality of information conveyed, and the timeliness (and, on recent performance, the accuracy) has improved markedly since two years ago and the "digging up the car park at 1am" nonsense.

As a side note, the reference for the letter is DOL4 42m 61ch, which is really geeky!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Some very nice new curvy wooden seating has appeared on the concourses at Leeds. It's quite comfortable and incorporates some small tables which make eating lunch easier !

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Some very nice new curvy wooden seating has appeared on the concourses at Leeds. It's quite comfortable and incorporates some small tables which make eating lunch easier !

With wireless charging too although not plugged in yet, didn't stop some young ladies from trying thou.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Based on my last visit to Leeds, the addition of ANY seating at all has to be a positive step!

_toommm_

Established Member

It’s rather nice seating which I think is specific to Network Rail stations. Liverpool Street has had them for a while, but as noted above, any seating in Leeds is desperately needed, with the crowds of Kings C gawping at the boards sometimes waiting for a platform.

Iskra

Established Member
They don’t impede the entrance/exit.
They don’t block it, obviously. But when you add in the people stood gawping under the screens, passengers who decide to stand next to the seats, people waiting for other people by the toilets and oncoming passengers; it is certainly much easier to exit the station and there is a superior passenger flow without seating.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There have been various times when I've been sat, straddled across one of the coloured plastic blocks eating breakfast. It's nice to be able to sit and eat comfortably for a change.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Passed through Leeds today as I went to Liverpool and back for lunch. New seating looks good, but oddly placed outside Boots and WH Smith with one side facing inwards and othe other out. You'll still get people gathering by the destination boards at the gate line; I'd have added a secondary subset of screens closer to the entrance, and seating there. But they do look good, and bring some welcome (if muted) colour to a very grey station.