• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LHR suspends free travel zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
LHR are having a silent war with TfL & DfT. This will be another salvo.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Travel card?

It now makes it impossible to enter the airport via walking.
Can you walk to Terminal 5 on the perimeter road?

Whilst nice, it did always seem a fairly unnecessary 'perk'
Hardly unnecessary once they converted the foot tunnel to the central area into a car access route.

Travel card goes too.
This is the discounted travelcard for workers rather than the TfL product.

Heathrow suspends Free Travel Zone
19 Nov 2020 by Hannah Brandler

Heathrow Free Travel Zone

Heathrow is set to suspend its Free Travel Zone from January 1, 2021, due to the financial impact of Covid-19 on the company’s future.

This comes after the airport warned that it is suffering from catastrophic decline, as traffic in October declined by 82 per cent compared with the same period last year.

The news was revealed in an email posted on Twitter. The email also suggests that the Heathrow Travelcard scheme, which provides discounted travel on buses and coaches, will be discontinued.

The Heathrow Free Travel Zone (HFTZ) is a zone encircling Heathrow Airport and the surrounding area where travel on public transport is free to use. The HFTZ is normally subsidised by the airport, meaning that the buses are free to use, with no need for any ticket, oyster card or contactless card. To find out more about the Heathrow Free Travel Zone, read our feature here.

A Heathrow spokesperson told Business Traveller:

“We have taken the difficult decision to temporarily suspend the Heathrow Free Travel Zone and end some other local transport subsidies, effective from 1st January 2021. These steps have been taken under considerable cost pressures, as we end the ninth consecutive month with hugely reduced revenue and very little help from the Government in areas such as business rate alleviation or testing.

“As soon as financial health is restored, we are committed to reinstate an improved programme of subsidised and sustainable travel. This difficult choice reminds us all that the best way to keep building Heathrow as a pillar of opportunity, innovation and social improvement is to get the business back to growth as soon as possible.”

Earlier this year, Heathrow was overtaken by Paris Charles de Gaulle as Europe’s busiest airport, due to the falling demand for air travel and the lack of Covid-19 testing facilities.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
Can you walk to Terminal 5 on the perimeter road?
From my ride on the 350 it appears that you can't. Another interesting issue is what would the fares be between Heathrow Central to terminal 5 on the TfL rail/hex. And how would they be split.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
From my ride on the 350 it appears that you can't. Another interesting issue is what would the fares be between Heathrow Central to terminal 5 on the TfL rail/hex. And how would they be split.
You certainly can't walk on the link road from the Longford roundabout that the 350 and 423 use but I think you can probably go from the Bath Road at Newport Road.

This is presumably about Heathrow Airport not wanting to pay a lump sum payment to TfL for buses to be free in the vacinity of the airport until such point as people start using planes again.

Do they pay TfL for the Piccadilly Line and TfL Rail trains to be free between the terminals as well?

Presumably TfL and other operators pay Heathrow for access to the airport? I wonder whether they should cut back frequencies.

Non Multi

Having had a look at that email, I expect a significant number of non-TfL bus routes will no longer run direct to Heathrow until HAH reinstates the financial support to the operators. Really messy, considering how many bus routes will be affected.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I think it's a shame they have suspended the overall free travel zone and I think the least that could/should be done is keep the terminal tube and train connections for everyone since many buses/coaches call at Central or T5 but don't stop at both. I think this side would be detrimental to passengers overall.
The buses shouldn't be too bad though. I can see people being affected if the buses go but at the same time, people using the free travel zone buses are mainly people going into the airport from external areas who would normally expect to pay. This included passengers into the airport who almost always have to pay for a hotel to terminal bus. Workers well, you generally pay to commute anyway so the travelcard is a bit more of a luxury.

For the bus route subsidies, I think we need to look at exactly which routes are affected. I think the 459 Iver bus, 555 and the X442 are subsidised by Heathrow. Carousels 102 was funded but that has now been cut back. I can't find any definitive list online.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Hardly unnecessary once they converted the foot tunnel to the central area into a car access route.

I still view £1.50 for any single bus journey in London very good value in order to access the airport terminals.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Travel card?

It now makes it impossible to enter the airport via walking.

This, specifically the staff, would be my main concern - many staff will live locally and walk/cycle to work (for low pay), using the bus to get through the tunnel. They should be required to make some specific provision for this even if those not working there have to pay, or to reopen the pedestrian/cycle tunnel.

As an air passenger, if you can afford a flight you can afford a couple of TfL contactless bus fares. Though it'll be one of the few airports in the world that charge for inter-terminal transfer now.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This, specifically the staff, would be my main concern - many staff will live locally and walk/cycle to work (for low pay), using the bus to get through the tunnel. They should be required to make some specific provision for this even if those not working there have to pay, or to reopen the pedestrian/cycle tunnel.

As an air passenger, if you can afford a flight you can afford a couple of TfL contactless bus fares. Though it'll be one of the few airports in the world that charge for inter-terminal transfer now.

Free transfers will remain possible by Heathrow Express. I doubt many air travellers used the bus, even for T4<>T5 transfers.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Free transfers will remain possible by Heathrow Express. I doubt many air travellers used the bus, even for T4<>T5 transfers.
That said only for eligible staff, it didn't say about passengers?

Also why not include TFL Rail in that since normally HEX and TFL compliment eachother service wise for the terminal transfers (one will do T5 and the other T4). Piccadilly line I can understand why that isn't as needed bit as it provides no links additional links to those provided by national rail HEX/TFL. There is possibly also some abuse of the zone on the Picc line with people travelling beyond the zone if they know that ticket inspections don't happen and there are no gates.

markymark2000

On Moderation
There are gates on the Piccadilly Line. If I recall correctly you still have to touch in but if you touch out within the Zone you don't get charged.
Really? I thought it was open like the HEX/TFL platforms (Oh well). Not much use in having it then on the free travel zone because it goes back to my previous point that HEX/TFL rail provides the same links.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are gates on the Piccadilly Line. If I recall correctly you still have to touch in but if you touch out within the Zone you don't get charged.

That is correct.

The issue here is that you will now have to pay to leave the airport (Terminals 2 & 3) as there is no walking route out of the Central Terminal area.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Also why not include TFL Rail in that since normally HEX and TFL compliment eachother service wise for the terminal transfers (one will do T5 and the other T4).
Terminal 4 is shut - Both TfL Rail and HEX are running to Terminal 5 and there is a common gateline so it isn't possible to charge for TfL Rail and not Heathrow Express (unless the transfer tickets to get through the gateline aren't valid on TfL Rail). https://railtravelstation.com/tfl-r...inal-5-by-free-inter-terminal-train-transfer/ [I don't seem to be able to copy out the text.]

Really? I thought it was open like the HEX/TFL platforms (Oh well). Not much use in having it then on the free travel zone because it goes back to my previous point that HEX/TFL rail provides the same links.
The Heathrow Express / TfL Rail platforms are now gated. The Piccadilly line platforms at Terminal 5 have been gated (wide gates) from opening.

They really should put a staff bus on.
That misses the point that Heathrow Airport desperately need to save all the money they can to avoid going out of business. The last thing they would want to do is spend money hiring a bus.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That misses the point that Heathrow Airport desperately need to save all the money they can to avoid going out of business. The last thing they would want to do is spend money hiring a bus.

In that case, change the road layout (on the cheap using cones if you like) and reinstate the pedestrian/cycle access to the main terminal area.

Even motorway services have pedestrian/cycle access via a "back gate" for staff! The idea that there is no free-of-charge provision for low-paid staff to walk to work in an urban area is completely unacceptable, to the extent that I think Sadiq or even Bozza needs to step in to make that point.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Terminal 4 is shut - Both TfL Rail and HEX are running to Terminal 5 and there is a common gateline so it isn't possible to charge for TfL Rail and not Heathrow Express (unless the transfer tickets to get through the gateline aren't valid on TfL Rail). https://railtravelstation.com/tfl-r...inal-5-by-free-inter-terminal-train-transfer/ [I don't seem to be able to copy out the text.]

The Heathrow Express / TfL Rail platforms are now gated. The Piccadilly line platforms at Terminal 5 have been gated (wide gates) from opening.
Right now T4 is shut but longer term it shouldn't be.

Interesting thing about the gates though. They weren't there when I was there and I got the impression it was just as easy onto the Picc line. Thanks for the info.

Ok, I am struggling to get the inter terminal thing as I've just gone back and re read the original tweet (https://twitter.com/MZulqarnainBut1/status/1329085195224399877/photo/1) and it says LU and HEX (but not TFL rail) and the way it comes across to me is that it's only for staff to get between terminals or will it be open for all? Why is LU included but not TFL rail (Both owned by TFL and I can't see any reason for LU to be kept but not TFL Rail. With the gateline it would be easier to stop people using the already very busy Picc line).
Buses I stand by my previous point that most people who use it expect to pay the fare to get to a hotel as per all other airports or people commuting should already be paying as per almost all other commuters in the UK. Free travel isn't needed for the general public.

nlogax

Established Member
Can you walk to T5? Still a long way round though if you normally walked to the stop before the tunnel. They really should put a staff bus on.

Potentially tricky. Pavement isn't continuous along the northern and western perimeter road and what pavement exists isn't that wide. It's not the best walking environment unless you enjoy the tang of Jet-A and close encounters with airport traffic.

Non Multi

It'll be interesting to see how much extra road traffic this causes in the short term. Airport staff have been heavily incentivised to stop commuting by car to work with these discounts. Most live within a 20 mile radius of the airport.

HAH have financially supported virtually every non-TfL airport bus route going there. HAH have boxed themselves into a corner here, every operator expects airport cash or they'll axe the Heathrow connecting leg or slash journeys.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Some TfL bus routes are subsidised as well iirc it was all the buses that went to Terminal 5 via terminal 4 and the 350. Early morning buses.

That said only for eligible staff, it didn't say about passengers?

Also why not include TFL Rail in that since normally HEX and TFL compliment eachother service wise for the terminal transfers (one will do T5 and the other T4). Piccadilly line I can understand why that isn't as needed bit as it provides no links additional links to those provided by national rail HEX/TFL. There is possibly also some abuse of the zone on the Picc line with people travelling beyond the zone if they know that ticket inspections don't happen and there are no gates.
There are gatelines on both the Piccadilly line and hex platforms. There are free paper tickets for the hex/TfL rail and the amount seen at Hayes and beyond indicates some abuse. However for free travel on the Piccadilly you need to tap in and out with an oyster card this limits the power of abuse greatly.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Though it'll be one of the few airports in the world that charge for inter-terminal transfer now.
If you're a customer changing planes at Heathrow then inter terminal transfers are done by buses that run airside.

markymark2000

On Moderation
There are gatelines on both the Piccadilly line and hex platforms. There are free paper tickets for the hex/TfL rail and the amount seen at Hayes and beyond indicates some abuse. However for free travel on the Piccadilly you need to tap in and out with an oyster card this limits the power of abuse greatly.
Ahh so the free paper tickets aren't valid. I get you then, it's quite hard to abuse the system on the Picc line now then.

matt_world2004

Established Member
TfL should withdraw the early morning buses that serve the airport if the subsidy is removed. the first
490/482 gets to Heathrow Terminal 5 at 04:00 ish. no way that running buses that early is profitable . When in the case of the 482 it can bearly sustain a 20 minute frequency throughout the day anyway pre covid and demand to terminal 4 is now non existent.

Heathrow would soon change its tune if it's employees can no longer get to work.

There has been a consistent attempt by Heathrow Airport limited to nickel and dime TfL over both crossrail contribution costs and track access fees for the service.

I suspect that this is in part motivated by spite caused by successful legal challenges to the third runway, failed attempts to charge high track access fees for crossrail and iirc the free travel zone was in part one of the conditions attached to ensure the construction of terminal 5.

Taunton

Established Member
I however wonder what caused this - TfL are being very aggressive with charging for what they do - did they quadruple the charge for the free transfers and Heathrow just said No?

matt_world2004

Established Member
I however wonder what caused this - TfL are being very aggressive with charging for what they do - did they quadruple the charge for the free transfers and Heathrow just said No?
For the free travel zone TfL charge Heathrow airport the average bus fare per journey made in the travel zone this is done from comparing the the amount of times drivers press the pass button in the free travel zone with a manual count once a year and using that to work out how many journeys there were in the free travel zone.

The average fare once deducting concessions, bus passes and travelcard is something like 66p per passenger.

For the TfL rail services tfl do not charge for travel in the free travel zone however they are reimbursed through lower track access fees. This means for TfL to provide the terminal 4 shuttle it was actually costing TfL money without any benefit.

Heathrow airport were getting a very good deal.

The charge this year would have been lower than any other year.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It'll be interesting to see how much extra road traffic this causes in the short term. Airport staff have been heavily incentivised to stop commuting by car to work with these discounts. Most live within a 20 mile radius of the airport.

On the flip side, air travel is down so much the level of car travel for air passengers to get to Heathrow will be down a vast amount anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.