• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lifts and escalators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
As a small child, many years ago, I was visiting a church in Northamptonshire, probably in Kettering. I can't recall the reason why though. They had a lift fitted, of which I spent most of the time there going up and down for fun. I was rather disappointed when my parents came to end my travels.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't see the point of DOWN escalators. Gravity assists you going down. UP escalators are necessary , but there should be staircases for those like myself who find them tricky. Nothing scares me more than being on a Down escalator with more confident but impatient person behind me wanting to get past . The Merseyrail Underground is out of bounds to me as an "escaphobic". I fear slipping and causing a domino effect. So I avoid them like the plague. Escalators should have handles for people to steady themselves.

Would people not be more likely to slip and trip on a staircase than an escalator going down? Especially if they have a dodgy knee?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Does anybody know no how often a busy passenger lift in a high-rise residential building should be serviced? I currently live in such a building and the every four or six week maintenance regime is apparently to be cut in order to save money. Concerns about reliability or obvious

AY1975

Established Member
Found a lift and a moving inclined platform in town
Both had tiny makers plates near the floor
Could not see any information on weight limits or numbers of passengers allowed

been up one i n Riga TV tower that went diagonally
I guess this might potentially warrant a separate thread, but I wonder if there are many examples of stations with inclined lifts.

Offhand, the only two examples in the UK that I know of are Greenford on the Central Line (also the terminus of GWR's West Ealing-Greenford shuttle) and the new Elizabeth Line station at Liverpool Street. Does anyone know of any others in the UK, mainland Europe or the rest of the world?

Mikey C

Established Member
I guess this might potentially warrant a separate thread, but I wonder if there are many examples of stations with inclined lifts.

Offhand, the only two examples in the UK that I know of are Greenford on the Central Line (also the terminus of GWR's West Ealing-Greenford shuttle) and the new Elizabeth Line station at Liverpool Street. Does anyone know of any others in the UK, mainland Europe or the rest of the world?
And at Farringdon station too, the Barbican exit

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Not a station, but The Tyne pedestrian tunnel now has a couple of long inclined lifts in the escalator shafts, effectively to avoid replacing the escalators.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Not a station, but The Tyne pedestrian tunnel now has a couple of long inclined lifts in the escalator shafts, effectively to avoid replacing the escalators.
Also not at a station, but nearby, is the one at Ebbw Vale in South Wales. It always seems to be out of order whenever I pass though.

Wolfie

Established Member
Elevator of death my rear end.

Me, clumsiest person ever, coped perfectly well with the one in the James Went building, Leicester Poly as was, in the early 80s.

Another paternoster at Leicester University, although this 2017 story says its currently out of action:
http://www2.le.ac.uk/staff/announcements/attenborough-paternoster-out-of-action

and a story about "going over the top" here: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/f...rite-passage/story-27888676-detail/story.html

which I've done. The cars don't turn upside down of course.
I did both "over the top" and "under the bottom" regularly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Elevator of death my rear end.

Me, clumsiest person ever, coped perfectly well with the one in the James Went building, Leicester Poly as was, in the early 80s.

I did both "over the top" and "under the bottom" regularly.

The main reason they needed to be got rid of was because they're not wheelchair accessible, which is the main reason for lifts other than in very tall buildings. Not just H&S.

Wolfie

Established Member
The main reason they needed to be got rid of was because they're not wheelchair accessible, which is the main reason for lifts other than in very tall buildings. Not just H&S.
I absolutely understand that. There were conventional lifts too.

AY1975

Established Member
And at Farringdon station too, the Barbican exit
I wonder what other stations could be suitable for installing inclined lifts? I believe that TfL is, or was, investigating other potentially suitable locations.

I would say that if East Putney ever gets step-free access it could have a conventional lift to the City-bound platform and an inclined lift to the Wimbledon-bound platform in place of one of the two stairways that is currently there (probably the one on the left as you look towards Wimbledon, as that one tends to get used less and was historically the staircase to the long-disused Waterloo-bound side of that platform when trains to Waterloo via the East Putney loop and Point Pleasant Jn used to call there before World War 2).

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
How about the Ebbw Vale lift ?

Definitely public transport as it's free to use and on the public highway at each end and railway related as it's on the way from Town station and the town centre. One Ebbw Vale resident of my acquaintance jokingly described it as being mainly used by fat lazy students to get from their college at the bottom to McDonalds at the top.

Also not at a station, but nearby, is the one at Ebbw Vale in South Wales. It always seems to be out of order whenever I pass though.
I used that one last week while walking from the station up the hills to get a view.

Rather annoying that it closes very early at 17.00 daily, but at least on the way back down it's less critical than it is on the way up. Surprised they don't open the stairway next to it for when it's closed - it's quite a way round to walk when it's not running.

Ken H

On Moderation
A relatine lived in Turin for a time. She had a flat on the 6th floor. The lift was acccessed by a hinged door but there was no door to the lift. The closed doors and the inter floor wood paneling were close to the lift so no risk of falling. Spose small kids could trap fingers. About 1995.

AY1975

Established Member

It would appear from this video that, at least in Prague, the days of publicly accessible paternosters could be numbered.

Already most of the remaining paternosters tend to be in buildings that are not open to, or at least not frequented by, the general public, and even if the buildings themselves are publicly accessible the paternosters are increasingly being barricaded off to prevent unauthorised use. I suppose the health & safety authorities have decided that regular users of such buildings are more likely to be used to using them than the wider public.

So if you're lucky enough to find one that is still accessible to the public, enjoy them while you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.