• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

List of Bay Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Doesn't Kensington Olympia have a bay platform for district line trains ? Or is that a thing of the past now ?
Doesn't really count as it's a terminus for the District, and there's no connection to Network Rail infrastructure there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It all depends on how one defines a bay, but the typical railway definition of a bay platform is one or more terminal platforms alongside one or more through ones. No one in the industry would be referring to terminal platforms as a bay unless in the configuration described above.
I would agree with this. A station at which all trains terminate, and which is also not on a through line (like Terminal 5), does not mean it can have a bay platform.

I would however wonder if an argument could be made where the platforms are staggered, such as Ealing Bdy (District) which has the buffers for one platform noticeably further back [closer to London] than the buffers for the other two.

bramling

Veteran Member
Is platform 3 at Mudchute an acceptable answer, or is the DLR system out of scope?

Seems very acceptable to me. Though Mudchute is an interesting one, as it started as the original route to Island Gardens, then became a siding, and finally a bay. Doesn’t seem to be used very often - it seems to be more of a refuge siding which happens to have been made to double up as a platform, but being a platform now I’d say certainly qualifies for this thread.

I would agree with this. A station at which all trains terminate, and which is also not on a through line (like Terminal 5), does not mean it can have a bay platform.

I would however wonder if an argument could be made where the platforms are staggered, such as Ealing Bdy (District) which has the buffers for one platform noticeably further back than the buffers for the other two.

Yes don’t entirely see why not, especially if a location was designed as a potential through station (can’t remember if that applies in the example given).

Edgware platform 1 could qualify under the same criterion, especially as it came later than the other two platforms. However Edgware is complicated as today’s layout isn’t what was intended had Bushey Heath happened.

zwk500

Veteran Member
It all depends on how one defines a bay, but the typical railway definition of a bay platform is one or more terminal platforms alongside one or more through ones. No one in the industry would be referring to terminal platforms as a bay unless in the configuration described above.
Not quite, a bay platform is described as such if there's a physical obstruction at the buffer stop end. It's just rare to do so if there's nothing but bay platforms because it's not a helpful description but I have seen it (mostly in IT systems, but also in technical documents).

Rogmi

Doesn't Kensington Olympia have a bay platform for district line trains ? Or is that a thing of the past now ?
Google maps shows a S stock going into the bay platform
Based on Bramling's definition above, I would say no because the platform is only used by District trains and is thus a terminus. If the District carried on along the LO tracks towards Shepherd's bush, then I supposed it could be said that it was a bay

bramling

Veteran Member
Based on Bramling's definition above, I would say no because the platform is only used by District trains and is thus a terminus. If the District carried on along the LO tracks towards Shepherd's bush, then I supposed it could be said that it was a bay

It really depends upon how one wants to look at it. It certainly meets the definition for a bay platform if one considers the station as a whole, however equally as the LU track layout is simply a stub terminus no one operational on the LU side would be referring to it as such. I guess the original DLR Stratford platform would introduce the same quandry.

This appears to be one of those rare situations where the terminology doesn't fit around things.

On balance I'd say as Olympia has no physical connection with NR, it probably isn't strictly correct to call it a bay - and I don't think places like Richmond or Wimbledon would be considered bays either which adds weight to this. But one could easily construct a quite valid case to say otherwise. For me the clinching factor is that LU staff definitely wouldn't be referring to any of these locations as a bay.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
For me a bay is a terminal platform alongside one or more through platforms. Liverpool Street used to have one, as did Putney Bridge (with a long single pneumatic buffer-stop). I have a feeling that Mansion House had one or two bay platforms; I recall years back quite a few trains at Richmond had Mansion House as their destination. I would call the terminal platforms at Aldgate and Moorgate bays platforms.

Kite159

Veteran Member
For me a bay is a terminal platform alongside one or more through platforms. Liverpool Street used to have one, as did Putney Bridge (with a long single pneumatic buffer-stop). I have a feeling that Mansion House had one or two bay platforms; I recall years back quite a few trains at Richmond had Mansion House as their destination. I would call the terminal platforms at Aldgate and Moorgate bays platforms.

Mansion House did have a bay until a few years ago when the D-stock retired. Got lifted as a S7 doesn't fit

A Challenge

Established Member
On balance I'd say as Olympia has no physical connection with NR, it probably isn't strictly correct to call it a bay - and I don't think places like Richmond or Wimbledon would be considered bays either which adds weight to this. But one could easily construct a quite valid case to say otherwise. For me the clinching factor is that LU staff definitely wouldn't be referring to any of these locations as a bay.
Platform 4 at Wimbledon can be used for SWR services, would that make it count as a bay?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.