• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Riverside Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Having just read an item about the now closed Liverpool Riverside Station which was most interesting, I was wondering what has happened with the 2 tunnels that went there and another to Park Lane Goods. These being Waterloo, Victoria and Wapping Tunnels. Doany stubs of these remain for any type of possible freight use for example? (A bit like Woodhead perhaps?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

janahan

I think the best way to find out more is to google the Sub Brit articles about those tunnels. There is extensive infomation across both the Sub Brit, and a special section on Nick Catfords Disused Stations site. Unfortunately i am away from the computer, on mobile, so i cannot provide the urls right now.

urbophile

Established Member
The Wapping tunnel is seriously and actively being considered as a diversion for local (passenger) trains currently using Lime Street, so that they can be integrated with the Merseyrail network. The Victoria and Waterloo tunnels form effectively one continuous tunnel with a small gap midway, and one of them (the one nearest Edge Hill, I can't remember which it is) has been proposed as an alternative route for the former (linking, by means of a new tunnel, with the Wapping tunnel half way down) – this would allow trains from the Chat Moss line to avoid obstructing the main line into Lime Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.