• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool South Parkway station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Anyone able to post a "before and after" OS map and/or photos of the area surrounding Liverpool South Parkway station, which station opened in c. June 2006.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Not maps, but Google Earth should go back to around 2002 on the rewind slider it has for an aerial view.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think (judging by the colour and the end vehicles being longer) they are the car transporter articulated "units" for the cars being manufactured at Halewood.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Good stuff. Was the new station built on the footprint of a derelict old football ground?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yes, however the football pitch was in use until it’s closure, it was never ‘derelict’

South Liverpool FC
Just seen a photo of South Liverpool FC's former Holly Park ground, this in a September 1991 issue of "Non League Football" magazine.

There's panels missing from the main stand roof, shrubs growing in the banking behind the near goalmouth, a ten foot high pile of earth in the middle of the penalty area, and the near goalpost uprights have both been snapped off.

The ground looks fairly derelict to me!

Ianigsy

South Liverpool became defunct in the early 1990s after being a competitive non-league side for a number of years.

Allerton depot has been through severroles since privatisation- from being a DMU depot it passed to EWS and now Northern- at one stage the depot area was mainly used for storage, which might be what can be seen in the older picture, but the wheel turning facilities turned out to be too useful to let go.

507 001

Established Member
South Liverpool became defunct in the early 1990s after being a competitive non-league side for a number of years.

Allerton depot has been through severroles since privatisation- from being a DMU depot it passed to EWS and now Northern- at one stage the depot area was mainly used for storage, which might be what can be seen in the older picture, but the wheel turning facilities turned out to be too useful to let go.

The wheel lathe was used by Merseyrail until their own one was built at Kirkdale.

RHolmes

Just seen a photo of South Liverpool FC's former Holly Park ground, this in a September 1991 issue of "Non League Football" magazine.

There's panels missing from the main stand roof, shrubs growing in the banking behind the near goalmouth, a ten foot high pile of earth in the middle of the penalty area, and the near goalpost uprights have both been snapped off.

The ground looks fairly derelict to me!

I can’t comment on the state of the ground itself as I never went further than Mather Avenue pre-LSP but it was certainly used more recently than 1991 for local school-age football matches at weekends

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Did Liverpool South Parkway used be one of the stations in district of Allerton?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Did Liverpool South Parkway used be one of the stations in district of Allerton?
The upper platforms were originally Allerton station on the Lime St-Crewe line, and the lower platforms replaced those a little further west at Garston on the Liverpool Central-Warrington-Manchester line.
The new station was built in the north-west angle between the two lines, with a joint concourse, road access, car park and bus station.

HSP 2

Liverpool South Parkway, why build a six platform station and then only use four of them (platforms 1, 2, 5 & 6). In all of my visits I can't remember seeing a train of any sort using P 3 or 4. I can understand building P3 as it's at the back of P2. But P4 with the lift and the stairs and all the lighting, for what maybe one train a day and a couple of ECS workings?
But I must say that I've only used the station between 09:00 and 18:00.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The upper platforms were originally Allerton station on the Lime St-Crewe line, and the lower platforms replaced those a little further west at Garston on the Liverpool Central-Warrington-Manchester line.
The new station was built in the north-west angle between the two lines, with a joint concourse, road access, car park and bus station.
Ok, thanks.

Ianigsy

Liverpool South Parkway, why build a six platform station and then only use four of them (platforms 1, 2, 5 & 6). In all of my visits I can't remember seeing a train of any sort using P 3 or 4. I can understand building P3 as it's at the back of P2. But P4 with the lift and the stairs and all the lighting, for what maybe one train a day and a couple of ECS workings?
3 and 4 come in very useful when Lime Street is unavailable or when trains need to be turned back short- passengers can be detrained and continue their journey by Merseyrail or the next train to Lime Street, while the train can pick up its return working. The alternative would often be terminating at Crewe or Warrington.

During the reconstruction of Lime Street a couple of years ago, 3 and 4 were used almost exclusively by Virgin to turn their Pendolinos around.

londonteacher

The Liverpool South Parkway to Blackpool trains called at platforms 3/4 regularly. Not sure if that service exists today.

The issue is after Mossley Hill it goes down to a two track railway so the use of them is limited.

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
What route did those trains take? Did they reverse in lime street?

I caught the Blackpool trains regularly from Liverpool South Parkway, & they reversed at Lime Street, i seem to remember they used P4 at Liverpool South Parkway, one southbound LNW Birmingham trains an hour often used P3 too, whilst the other Birmingham train used P1

Nean

3 and 4 come in very useful when Lime Street is unavailable or when trains need to be turned back short- passengers can be detrained and continue their journey by Merseyrail or the next train to Lime Street, while the train can pick up its return working. The alternative would often be terminating at Crewe or Warrington.

During the reconstruction of Lime Street a couple of years ago, 3 and 4 were used almost exclusively by Virgin to turn their Pendolinos around.

Also when the Lime Street Cutting collapsed- 3&4 were used for terminating the LM and Virgin services with (if my memory serves correctly) TPE terminating in 1&2, and the Northern CLC stoppers terminating at Edge Hill. IIRC they then hit another stumbling block when a London Midland service derailed over the points whilst replatforming!

Kite159

Veteran Member

I think it was mainly platform 4 used as that had a temporary extension added, with the services after departure going forward to reverse beyond the station (crossovers between South Parkway & West Allerton) before returning non-stop to head towards Crewe

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the lower level platforms replaced Garston on the Liverpool Central to Hunts Cross line? I'd say the upper level platforms were/are on the Lime Street to Crewe/Warrington Central lines.

urbophile

Established Member
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the lower level platforms replaced Garston on the Liverpool Central to Hunts Cross line? I'd say the upper level platforms were/are on the Lime Street to Crewe/Warrington Central lines.
Historically, the current Merseyrail route to Hunts Cross is part of the original CLC line from Liverpool Central (high level) to Manchester Central via Warrington (also Central!). Manchester trains were diverted to run from Lime Street some time in the 1960s I think.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Historically, the current Merseyrail route to Hunts Cross is part of the original CLC line from Liverpool Central (high level) to Manchester Central via Warrington (also Central!). Manchester trains were diverted to run from Lime Street some time in the 1960s I think.

Yes, I was speaking historically really.
It still doesn't seem "right" for Warrington Central trains to go into Lime St!
The rationalisation at the time was to prepare for the closure of Liverpool Central HL, but it had its downside (longer journeys and congestion at Allerton/Parkway).
Looking at old maps, the connection between the two lines was there from the start of the CLC route (1874).

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I probably should have known that the Warrington trains used to go in via that route, but I didn't. How interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.