• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Kings Cross & Leeds (06/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Rivers

It said. “Reveal question” that question was viewable for 30 seconds. From pressing that button you had 10 minutes to record your answer of no longer than 3 minutes!!! You got 2 attempts to submit your recording! I stopped and restarted my 3rd answer maybe 5 times! I’m not arguing with anyone but that’s what I got!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TreacleMiller

I did the Leeds interview and I had the 10mins time so it looks like it could be 10mins for the Leeds job and 30sec for kings cross maybe?

Yes, Leeds here and certainly 30 seconds before each question.

Didnt need more than 30 seconds really, questions were as expected.

It said. “Reveal question” that question was viewable for 30 seconds. From pressing that button you had 10 minutes to record your answer of no longer than 3 minutes!!! You got 2 attempts to submit your recording! I stopped and restarted my 3rd answer maybe 5 times! I’m not arguing with anyone but that’s what I got!!

Once I pressed reveal it gae a 30 second timer and then a countdown to recording, which was literally seconds.

AVTB

KX applicant here.

Once I clicked reveal question a 10 minute timer started at the top of the page, I could see the question the whole time and at the bottom it had attempts remaining (2 recording attempts allowed) and a record button. Once I clicked record there was a 3 minute timer and I could submit my answer at any time, then I could watch the video back, as soon as I finished watching it back I only had 8 seconds to decide whether to record again or submit. Once it had uploaded I the reveal question button came up and I could start the exact same thing again.

Perhaps people are being given different ones so the likes of people reading here don't know what they'll get and thus can't prepare - I get the impression with the kind of questions this early on they're not just interested in your answer but perhaps equally how flustered you get when pressured into this type of thing.

Oldnewbie

KX applicant here.

Once I clicked reveal question a 10 minute timer started at the top of the page, I could see the question the whole time and at the bottom it had attempts remaining (2 recording attempts allowed) and a record button. Once I clicked record there was a 3 minute timer and I could submit my answer at any time, then I could watch the video back, as soon as I finished watching it back I only had 8 seconds to decide whether to record again or submit. Once it had uploaded I the reveal question button came up and I could start the exact same thing again.

Perhaps people are being given different ones so the likes of people reading here don't know what they'll get and thus can't prepare - I get the impression with the kind of questions this early on they're not just interested in your answer but perhaps equally how flustered you get when pressured into this type of thing.
Very good post and good points made. I had exactly the same. Whilst not looking to dig people out, I'd be very surprised if a company such as LNER messed up on the tech side of things in the way some on here are saying they have. I think it's more likely that the interviewee have got it wrong.

bruebunny

It's sounding like everyone had the same time, just describing it different ways. 30 seconds to read, three minutes to record take one, three minutes to review take one, three minutes to record take two, two five second countdowns, and additional time to decide if you want to submit take one, that's a fraction shy of ten minutes.

Tommy_13

It's sounding like everyone had the same time, just describing it different ways. 30 seconds to read, three minutes to record take one, three minutes to review take one, three minutes to record take two, two five second countdowns, and additional time to decide if you want to submit take one, that's a fraction shy of ten minutes.

Some people are saying that had a 10 minute timer on their screen though.

iwasyoungonce

Quote from the invite,
"Find a quiet space, free of distraction and where you won't get disturbed. You won’t need the whole time, but set aside thirty minutes"

Tommy_13

Different tech used perhaps, maybe windows laptop shows differently to android device or Mac/iPad etc? Just a thought..
Yeah fair, it is what it is anyway.
I dont think it would of made much difference to me personally to be honest.

Just gotta wait for the outcome now.

WaterCup123

I did my video interview yesterday. I had 30 seconds once the question was revealed and 3 minutes to answer. I had two attempts at answering. After recording the first attempt a message appeared at the bottom saying submit or record again - I don’t recall having the option to pause the video whilst recording.

Last edited:

TreacleMiller

Very good post and good points made. I had exactly the same. Whilst not looking to dig people out, I'd be very surprised if a company such as LNER messed up on the tech side of things in the way some on here are saying they have. I think it's more likely that the interviewee have got it wrong.
Given I recorded my test and just watched it back. No, we are not mistaken. There is certainly a discrepancy.

Chippychips

Quote from the invite,
"Find a quiet space, free of distraction and where you won't get disturbed. You won’t need the whole time, but set aside thirty minutes"
I think the fact that the invite says 30 mins but you won't need 30 mins, suggests the ones who had 30 secs prep + 3 mins to answer 6 questions (3:30 x 6= 21 mins (plus maybe a few attempts at re-recording again for 3 mins)) was the plan as it makes sense if it was likened to a telephone interview for example.

Those who had 10 mins for 6 questions + 3 mins to answer, I'd expect the invite to say "allowed yourself 90 mins".

Can anyone who had a 10 min prep for each question, confirm if their invite email was the same in regards to "...set aside 30 mins" or did it say to set aside a different allocation of time?

NumberTen

I think the fact that the invite says 30 mins but you won't need 30 mins, suggests the ones who had 30 secs prep + 3 mins to answer 6 questions (3:30 x 6= 21 mins (plus maybe a few attempts at re-recording again for 3 mins)) was the plan as it makes sense if it was likened to a telephone interview for example.

Those who had 10 mins for 6 questions + 3 mins to answer, I'd expect the invite to say "allowed yourself 90 mins".

Can anyone who had a 10 min prep for each question, confirm if their invite email was the same in regards to "...set aside 30 mins" or did it say to set aside a different allocation of time?
Mine had the set aside 30mins on email too. Just to be clear it wasn’t 10mins prep then record it was a 10min overall timer and you had to record your 3mins within this timeframe (once or twice was up to you obviously) so if you wanted to record two attempts and use the full 3mins on both attempts you effectively had 4mins prep.

Sparkynm

Mine had the set aside 30mins on email too. Just to be clear it wasn’t 10mins prep then record it was a 10min overall timer and you had to record your 3mins within this timeframe (once or twice was up to you obviously) so if you wanted to record two attempts and use the full 3mins on both attempts you effectively had 4mins prep.
Yes same with me, my email said 30min and the timeframe for each question was 10mins in total, not 10mins to prepare.

Chippychips

This makes sense. So it was a 10 minute overall timer which I assume would have thrown you to the next question if it hit 00:00.

So it was a 10 minute overall timer (which many couldnt see due to the device they used perhaps) Not 10 minute prep which someone posted.
That should put the issue to bed now.

Thanks No10 (is your name Boris?)

NumberTen

This makes sense. So it was a 10 minute overall timer which I assume would have thrown you to the next question if it hit 00:00.

So it was a 10 minute overall timer (which many couldnt see due to the device they used perhaps) Not 10 minute prep which someone posted.
That should put the issue to bed now.

Thanks No10 (is your name Boris?)
Haha no chance, although he may have applied for this position given the storm he’s in! Kings cross a short commute too?!:D

Brilufc

I've been selected for video interview and it says you have 3 days to complete it. Is that 3 days from the email been sent or the following 3 days from receiving the email?
The reason I ask is I received confirmation on Thursday saying I had been successful around 16.30pm. The problem is I've been working away and had no where suitable to do it.
im travelling back home today but will not be at home until quite late tonight and if I had the choice would prefer to do it Sunday when refreshed rather than tonight when I'll be knackered
If tonight is the end of my 3 days then I will be doing it tonight rather than miss out.
Has anybody been In a similar situation or knows the answer? Thanks in advance.

Brilufc

Thanks for the responses guys, unless somebody could give me a definite answer then I can not take the risk of missing out so its looks like I will be doing it late tonight. Plenty of coffee to keep me awake

polaris324

I've been selected for video interview and it says you have 3 days to complete it. Is that 3 days from the email been sent or the following 3 days from receiving the email?
I received my invite last Monday afternoon around 2pm. I received an email reminder on Wednesday afternoon. I wasn't able to complete it until Thursday morning and had no problem using the link.

MeatAndTwoMeg

Thanks for the responses guys, unless somebody could give me a definite answer then I can not take the risk of missing out so its looks like I will be doing it late tonight. Plenty of coffee to keep me awake
I started mine at 11.30pm due to a similar reason! The adrenaline kicked in and I was definitely feeling alert.

Brilufc

I received my invite last Monday afternoon around 2pm. I received an email reminder on Wednesday afternoon. I wasn't able to complete it until Thursday morning and had no problem using the link.
Thanks for that, I would prefer to do it tomorrow when I'm refreshed and I've had good sleep

Tommy_13

When you log into the LNER website and click on my interviews it tells you the exact date and time of your video invite date. Id assume its 3 days from that.

Emmsie

To be honest the video interview is not nearly as bad as you think. It's being built up as some kind of massive obstacle but it's pretty straightforward and if you have any idea of what the job role entails you can predict atleast some of the questions. Unless you're completely knackered tonight I doubt you'll perform any differently tonight or tomorrow.

jubilee_line

I got my invite to interview around 4 pm on Monday and did my interview before 4 pm on Thursday and it was fine! I had two long shifts the days before so wanted to get a good sleep in beforehand.

A little heads up for anyone regarding my video interview experience.

I did it on my iPad as my laptop was such poor quality. Having recorded my first attempt at the first question I opted to play the recording as it was a short answer and I had 8 minutes left on the countdown.

Unfortunately, out of sight on my iPad at the bottom of the screen was a 10 second countdown, use this recording Yes or No and if you don’t click either, it autosaves it.
So it gives you the option to watch the playback, while you’re happily watching your performance, you’ve got 10 seconds to reply or it’s an auto Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.