• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Kings Cross & Leeds (06/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyMango

Just got done with my video interview. Not nearly as bad as I made it out to be in my head tbh

Fingers crossed!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nuttygooner

Which is half the reason I (and I suspect other users) was puzzled at the 20 Questions from some users about what kind of questions we get asked.

It's honestly pretty straightforward, we weren't lying when we were saying "just read the instructions and get on with it" :)

Everything crossed for you :E

Hevs

Just submitted my interview
Just got done with my video interview. Not nearly as bad as I made it out to be in my head tbh

Fingers crossed!
That’s great- We must have been talking to our screens at the same time! Submitted mine too and I feel the same. All we can do is wait now. Good luck to you.

I have been reading posts on this forum and researching for months now and for anyone wanting advice, read, research and prepare. All the info you need is on the forum somewhere.

bruebunny

I feel sorry for the poor staff whose job it is to watch many many many videos of potential interviewees and whittle that list down.

Frankie4763

I feel sorry for the poor staff whose job it is to watch many many many videos of potential interviewees and whittle that list down.
That’s what I was thinking. I wonder if they’ve got a computer program that picks out key words

Nuttygooner

Nope, from experience it's all manual. There will be a team of people that go through them one by one
Oh my god, my cat descended during one of the questions, and plonked her bum on the remote control (had the TV on mute, but needed the light as my living room is pretty dark). o_O

I guess my face when the sounds came on, and trying not to give my cat a stare of daggers will be giving them a bit of a laugh :lol:

Last edited:

MeatAndTwoMeg

Oh my god, my cat descended during one of the questions, and plonked her bum on the remote control (had the TV on mute, but needed the light as my living room is pretty dark). o_O

I guess my face when the sounds came on, and trying not to give my cat a stare of daggers will be giving them a bit of a laugh :lol:
At least you'll be memorable!

Oldnewbie

Video Interview done. I've got a new found respect for radio DJs and QVC presenters who have to talk out loud to themselves in an empty room... It's clearly not something everyone can do!

TBH it didn't go as well as I hoped but you never know... Good luck all.

Paul_T

Pants, failed at the first hurdle.... I do wonder on that first automated thing if its predetermined? as I thought I answered them well.... but obviously not

good luck to those who got on :)

iwasyoungonce

Mrs Slocombe had similar issues :D

Spencer2511

Done my video interview this morning, fingers crossed. Not confident but able to answer the questions at least, it’s an usual experience to say the least.

Zed

The position is now closed, I got email saying they received alot of applicants. Anyone else didn't make it just before the deadline ?

Done my video interview this morning, fingers crossed. Not confident but able to answer the questions at least, it’s an usual experience to say the least.
When did you do your VR1

Mjhayes123

Is there a standard rota for Lner out of kings cross - I don’t mean times of day/night just —- x number of days on - y numbered off

Sparkynm

Does anybody know how many apprentice drivers will be picked for each location?
Also if they all complete the apprenticeship (if its multiple people chosen) is everyone guaranteed a job as a driver or will some be let go?

masif1

Wow, just completed the online interview. Not going to lie - it was tough.

And I messed up on the last question as I always used the first video as a draft before doing the 2nd/final video. It done the first video on the last question and glitched so didn't allow me to do the 2nd video. So I'd advise you to make sure you don't say or do anything silly on the first video - just in case

Good luck to all.

Does anyone have any idea when we find out if we've got through the video stage?

NumberTen

Does anybody know how many apprentice drivers will be picked for each location?
Also if they all complete the apprenticeship (if its multiple people chosen) is everyone guaranteed a job as a driver or will some be let go?

this article says 10 positions across the country but not sure how true this is. Dread to think how many applied!

Traindriver99

I have been waiting by now 2 days without receiving any reply in terms of the outcome of verbal and reasoning test. I guess I won't be called to do any interview.

Nuttygooner

this article says 10 positions across the country but not sure how true this is. Dread to think how many applied!

In the article, at the time of publication, there were 10 different roles listed (including auditor etc).

So, I am sure they're looking for more than 10 folks in total. Just sit back and be patient, what's done is done.

Sparkynm

Thanks for the reply, yep I bet the number of applicants is very high but fingers crossed... As the advert states they are looking for a new generation of drivers id like to think all 10 (if they pass the relevant tests) would get a driver job on completion.

NorthernTech

Thanks for the reply, yep I bet the number of applicants is very high but fingers crossed... As the advert states they are looking for a new generation of drivers id like to think all 10 (if they pass the relevant tests) would get a driver job on completion.
Welcome to the forum! If the company take you/anyone on to start training, unless the company suddenly has to let staff go for financial reasons, then once you start you are employed as a trainee driver to learn to drive. It’s not a case of once trained there ‘may’ be a job for you, the only caveat being that you fail the training, but it’s not in the company’s best interest for you to do that. With thousands of applicants, it’s likely the ones chosen are fit for purpose.

Sparkynm

Welcome to the forum! If the company take you/anyone on to start training, unless the company suddenly has to let staff go for financial reasons, then once you start you are employed as a trainee driver to learn to drive. It’s not a case of once trained there ‘may’ be a job for you, the only caveat being that you fail the training, but it’s not in the company’s best interest for you to do that. With thousands of applicants, it’s likely the ones chosen are fit for purpose.
Yep this makes sense, thanks.

Zed

The King's Cross vacancy is now closed

Do you think there's more people applying for King's Cross than leeds

I’ve seen that there are 3 questions and there are 10 minutes to answer each.
Without asking anybody to give too much away, can I ask, do you have any time to prepare an answer to each question or is the question asked and then straight into the ten minutes?

MeatAndTwoMeg

I’ve seen that there are 3 questions and there are 10 minutes to answer each.
Without asking anybody to give too much away, can I ask, do you have any time to prepare an answer to each question or is the question asked and then straight into the ten minutes?
Hi, I did the video interview yesterday and you get 30 seconds to prepare your answer. You choose when to reveal the next question and start that timer. You actually get 3 minutes answering time after the 30 second prep time is over. There's an option for a second attempt on each question if you want to re-record.

Status
Not open for further replies.