• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Newcastle (09/02/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driverdriver

Applied last night, ran out of time on the error checking but think I did okay on everything else - fingers crossed! I know from other forums that the error checking test is designed to be impossible to complete in the allotted time.

Choochoo_loco

I’m sure it was 50 questions in 10 minutes . I didn’t finish it either , just made sure the ones I completed were correct!
I got an email after each test but didn’t receive anything else after the last one . Did you?

driverdriver

I’m sure it was 50 questions in 10 minutes . I didn’t finish it either , just made sure the ones I completed were correct!
I got an email after each test but didn’t receive anything else after the last one . Did you?
Yes it was 50 in 10 minutes, I think I got about halfway but pretty confident I got the ones I did do right (famous last words). Same here, an email after each test but nothing since. I'm taking that as a good sign as I'm sure if we didn't score high enough on the test an automated system would send a reject email pretty quickly? Could be wrong though.

omnicity4659

I'm hearing that some applications are being rejected within 10 minutes, so there's hope for you!

Choochoo_loco

Yes it was 50 in 10 minutes, I think I got about halfway but pretty confident I got the ones I did do right (famous last words). Same here, an email after each test but nothing since. I'm taking that as a good sign as I'm sure if we didn't score high enough on the test an automated system would send a reject email pretty quickly? Could be wrong though.
I did find the last one the hardest. My brain was hurting my that point reading and memorising all that text! Praying I got through though

Yfg132

I've done the 3 assesments this morning and heard nothing since, heard pretty instantaneously after the first 2 but nothing after the 3rd..hoping this will be good news or could just be down to the sheer volume of applicants since, here's hoping! Good luck everyone and don't give up for those who dont make it this time round.

magpiepotts

I'm looking at applying but unsure whether lner take applications for people that live more than 60 minutes away. I currently live in the Midlands and work as a senior conductor for London northwestern railways. I am going to move to the Newcastle area in the near future and will be willing to relocate of successful. Just unsure whether lner take applications on people looking to relocate

driverdriver

I'm looking at applying but unsure whether lner take applications for people that live more than 60 minutes away. I currently live in the Midlands and work as a senior conductor for London northwestern railways. I am going to move to the Newcastle area in the near future and will be willing to relocate of successful. Just unsure whether lner take applications on people looking to relocate
I know that on the application page it states that you must live within 60 minutes at time of application, but you do have to attach a CV during the process so it might be worth having a note in the personal statement of your CV saying you are relocating to Newcastle? Could be worth a shot.

Choochoo_loco

I think as it states you have to live within 60 minutes prior to application that is set in stone.
If you are successful the training is very tough. I wouldn’t want to be relocating and moving house at the same time!
It states in the application that they will be recruiting again in the very near future so I’d apply then after you have moved if I was you.

magpiepotts

I know that on the application page it states that you must live within 60 minutes at time of application, but you do have to attach a CV during the process so it might be worth having a note in the personal statement of your CV saying you are relocating to Newcastle? Could be worth a shot.
Thanks for your reply. Ideally we would be looking at moving in about 2 years time when the kids have left high school. I am also thinking that would it be worth putting myself in the frame now and see what develops

WBFC345

Just completed the 3rd assessment, clicked all 4 answers on last set of questions but never pressed “next” as I went to check them and I had 1 second left and I couldn’t press “next” in time, will that impact the score?

Class2ldn

Just because it says you have to be within 60 minutes it doesn't mean they won't accept relocations.
That is in relation to your daily travel to work.
Now some companies won't accept but others will.
The 60 minute rule is well known throughout virtually every toc , some are even 45 minutes but those telling others it means you can't relocate are giving false information.
Lner may not allow it but that has nothing to do with the 60 minute rule.
If they do allow you to relocate you would have to prove you are within 60 minutes at the time of you starting with the company.
Apply, stick it in the cv and see what comes of it.

Maxboy3108

Hello
I'm just wondering if someone can tell me what to expect from the test after you have submitted your application, are they like the psychometric testing or more general tests for getting a job.
Thanks

magpiepotts

I think as it states you have to live within 60 minutes prior to application that is set in stone.
If you are successful the training is very tough. I wouldn’t want to be relocating and moving house at the same time!
It states in the application that they will be recruiting again in the very near future so I’d apply then after you have moved if I was you.
This is what I am thinking. Would make more sense to wait

driverdriver

Hello
I'm just wondering if someone can tell me what to expect from the test after you have submitted your application, are they like the psychometric testing or more general tests for getting a job.
Thanks
The first test is a Scenario based one, basically have to choose what you are most and least likely to do. Then the second was an error checking based one, where you are presented with sets of data and have to cross-reference with another set to pick out any errors (this is timed). Then the final one was a verbal reasoning test which involved a series of statements with questions on each, basically to see how you interpret the text. The instructions are pretty clear for each :) After each one you will either get an email inviting you to do the next, or an email letting you know you didn't score highly enough - this was pretty quick for me after each.

Received my invite to video interview last night so I'll be doing that today! Good luck everyone.

WBFC345

The first test is a Scenario based one, basically have to choose what you are most and least likely to do. Then the second was an error checking based one, where you are presented with sets of data and have to cross-reference with another set to pick out any errors (this is timed). Then the final one was a verbal reasoning test which involved a series of statements with questions on each, basically to see how you interpret the text. The instructions are pretty clear for each :) After each one you will either get an email inviting you to do the next, or an email letting you know you didn't score highly enough - this was pretty quick for me after each.

Received my invite to video interview last night so I'll be doing that today! Good luck everyone.
I received my invite to video interview last night too!

Choochoo_loco

Just had the invitation too.
Excited to try this as never done anything like it before.
Just praying my network connection holds out for the duration!

If anyone has done one of these type interviews before, could you recommend if it’s best done on a laptop/tablet or phone?
My laptop has the biggest screen but the worst quality camera.
Good luck everyone.

driverdriver

Just had the invitation too.
Excited to try this as never done anything like it before.
Just praying my network connection holds out for the duration!

If anyone has done one of these type interviews before, could you recommend if it’s best done on a laptop/tablet or phone?
My laptop has the biggest screen but the worst quality camera.
Good luck everyone.
I've done one before a few years ago for another job (not LNER) and it was actually okay once you got going, I did it on a laptop at the time but I remember a couple of people had issues with wifi dropping out which timed out questions. I'm going to do this one on my phone using data rather than wifi, purely because in my experience that is way more reliable (lucky enough to have nearly full bars 5G where I am, but the wifi does cut in and out).

I did read on another forum that it is easy to do on a phone so I don't think there will be any compatibility issues or anything. I'll be doing it this evening so I'll let you know if I have any issues!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
This is what I am thinking. Would make more sense to wait

You can certainly apply, but do not be surprised if you are denied outright; there is such a high number of applicants that the TOC/LNER can easily decrease the numbers by removing those that don't meet the location criteria.

Choochoo_loco

You can certainly apply, but do not be surprised if you are denied outright; there is such a high number of applicants that the TOC/LNER can easily decrease the numbers by removing those that don't meet the location criteria.
It’s been asked on a previous thread.
LNER did not progress the application any further due to currently living outside of the 60 minute window. That was with LNER being fully aware the applicant was willing to relocate if successful.

I've done one before a few years ago for another job (not LNER) and it was actually okay once you got going, I did it on a laptop at the time but I remember a couple of people had issues with wifi dropping out which timed out questions. I'm going to do this one on my phone using data rather than wifi, purely because in my experience that is way more reliable (lucky enough to have nearly full bars 5G where I am, but the wifi does cut in and out).

I did read on another forum that it is easy to do on a phone so I don't think there will be any compatibility issues or anything. I'll be doing it this evening so I'll let you know if I have any issues!
That would be great Thankyou.
I struggle with both wifi and 4g/5g in the area I live.
I’m going to do a few practise calls on teams or FaceTime to check the reliability first but I don’t really have anywhere else I could do it without being disturbed other than parked up in my car somewhere but that would be highly unprofessional!
I would be gutted to not progress to the next level entirely down to a network failure.
Good luck with yours. I think I’ll be doing mine over the weekend.

Yfg132

Out of curiosity, those who are progressing to the video interview stage.. What's your background? I'm a staff nurse within the NHS.

MasaK

Just completed the online assessments, got a bit worried after finishing the last one and not hearing anything, then about 10 minutes later received my video interview email. Has anyone done the video yet? Any hints/advice/idea of questions...Thanks

StuM

Got my video invite last night too. Unfortunately I'm offshore until next Wednesday so I have to do it out here! I'm sure between the horrendously slow wifi and me looking like a tramp in my offshore gear, I'll make a great impression :lol:

Choochoo_loco

Got my video invite last night too. Unfortunately I'm offshore until next Wednesday so I have to do it out here! I'm sure between the horrendously slow wifi and me looking like a tramp in my offshore gear, I'll make a great impression :lol:
Hopefully with giving everyone only 3 days notice they will be a little lenient towards not having the best connection of camera setup.
Does anyone fully know how it works . Is the camera built into the webpage link that you follow or do you have to close the page and quickly record yourself on your own laptop or phone camera and upload at the end ?
I’m scared to click the link so see if all this is explained before hand incase it starts the process already when I’m not ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.