• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Train Driver - Leeds & Doncaster (09/05/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
This is a polite reminder to please remain on topic and not degenerate into personal comments. We appreciate that waiting for a long time can be frustrating when applying for a dream job, but please don't take this out on fellow forum users, many of whom will be in the same boat as yourselves. All companies will be going through a range of applications which can take a considerable amount of time.

Anything that is posted to try and incite a response or is seen as a personal attack may be deleted.

If you believe a post is not in line with the forum rules, please press the "Report" button in the bottom left.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SarahDee

Has anybody made any progress since the "busy working through applications" email? There's someone on the LNER Newcastle thread who hasn't had an update since receiving this email in March so gives an idea of potential waiting times.

I was told by LNER that they would likely take on as many people as pass ... Yes some will get courses, some will get talent pool.
Only 1/300 is getting a course at the moment.
Not sure how many are getting offered the talent pool.
With the July course cancelled ... It will just push everyone back ... So more delays !

I would hate to have their inbox after a week away on holiday!

Out of interest, why has the July course been cancelled?

TreacleMiller

There wasn't one, I'm not sure why there is reference to one. Someone also said the course I was on was cancelled....

SarahDee

There wasn't one, I'm not sure why there is reference to one. Someone also said the course I was on was cancelled....
Ah ok, thank you

Hi,

Just a quick update.

I completed my online interview on 28th May and today I received an email which advised me to be patient as they are still working through the applications and will be in touch soon.

I applied for Leeds.
I can see on another thread you have got a date for an assessment day. Congratulations and good luck. Is that for this application?

Last edited:

SarahDee

Hi Sarah, no this is not for this application. I am still to hear anything further for LNER.
Well either way, it's progress and will be nice to get the assessment under your belt. That's the part that worried me the most when I applied, now I realise I'll be lucky to even get to that bit of the process!

foxc01

Hi Sarah, plus one for not hearing anything since the update email.

I’m thinking we may not until august/September in time for October/November

SarahDee

Hi Sarah, plus one for not hearing anything since the update email.

I’m thinking we may not until august/September in time for October/November
That would make sense actually... I'll adjust my expectations accordingly :)

Well either way, it's progress and will be nice to get the assessment under your belt. That's the part that worried me the most when I applied, now I realise I'll be lucky to even get to that bit of the process!
I've had a fair few knock back myself so understand that feeling all too well. From reading lots of posts though it confirmed that you need to stay positive and just keep going. Best of luck in the future.

Doncaster

Good morning. Any news from LNER to all of you candidates? I guess that, while most of us are waiting to receive feedback and carry on with the steps after the video interview, in the meantime LNER has already filled all the positions in Doncaster as well as Leeds. Is that correct? If there is someone that can comfirm that or know more about the situation it would be great

Do you think it is easier become a train driver for LNER or become a football player in the third league(the one below championship)? I think it is much easier to become professional football player of that league because, at least in that field, you would ALWAYS find someone in the industry that give you the chance to demonstrate your skills in the workplace by doing thinks that you would be doing if the football team choose you. Obviously if you won't to become a train driver the companies don't give you thw opportunitiy to demonstrate your skills by starting the course so easily when football team give the opportunities to EVERYBODY to demonstrate their potential.

Last edited:
When 12000 people apply for the role and you only need 40, companies have to whittle then down some how, so yes, some people may not get the chance to demonstrate how good they are.
I know of colleagues who I trust my life with who have not passed the initial online assessments ... Who was easily walk into a driver role, but have been sifted out.

But in the same par, rail companies believe they have a robust system to get the best candidates through training and sustain in the role.
I think it would be IMPOSSIBLE to see everyone and very costly. I don't think 12k apply for one football team or role?

As for positions.
I know they have started to fill most courses. I know of people on the October and January courses already, so I assume they have or are filling them with people passing the final medicals at this time.

On a positive for some ... I hear LNER was to hire another 40. So application could reasonably be assumed will be ou lt same time next this / next year... JAN '23?

skyhigh

Established Member
Do you think it is easier become a train driver for LNER or become a football player in the third league(the one below championship)? I think it is much easier to become professional football player of that league because, at least in that field, you would ALWAYS find someone in the industry that give you the chance to demonstrate your skills in the workplace by doing thinks that you would be doing if the football team choose you. Obviously if you won't to become a train driver the companies don't give you thw opportunitiy to demonstrate your skills by starting the course so easily when football team give the opportunities to EVERYBODY to demonstrate their potential.
This is nonsense. You think they should put thousands of people through the classroom course and handling hours to find out if they're any good and should get the job?

ollie_hobbs

Small update on those who applied here;

Today I attended psychometrics at the academy in York station for a LNER 'station customer service / dispatcher role' (STVT, TDCT & PAAT).
When I got the chance I queried the recruiter about what's happening with the applications for Leeds/Doncaster driver positions, as I have applied for both.
I was told all applications are currently on hold as the strikes have caused disruption with what roles are available - and there is nothing they can do to speed it up.
We are likely to get an email in the coming weeks to confirm this.
It is also possible that soon they may reject most candidates and pick the few they believe will be successful (they weren't too sure on this).
Luckily the good news is that they won't cancel the applications entirely even if there is no position now available, but successful applicants may be placed in a talent pool.

Hope this helps, keep on waiting! :)

Last edited:

SarahDee

Small update on those who applied here;

Today I attended psychometrics at the academy in York station for a LNER 'station customer service / dispatcher role' (STVT, TDCT & PAAT).
When I got the chance I queried the recruiter about what's happening with the applications for Leeds/Doncaster driver positions, as I have applied for both.
I was told all applications are currently on hold as the strikes have caused disruption with what roles are available - and there is nothing they can do to speed it up.
We are likely to get an email in the coming weeks to confirm this.
It is also possible that soon they may reject most candidates and pick the few they believe will be successful (they weren't too sure on this).
Luckily the good news is that they won't cancel the applications entirely even if there is no position now available, but successful applicants may be placed in a talent pool.

Hope this helps, keep on waiting! :)
Thank you for this update and for taking the time to ask the recruitment team about this. It's frustrating to hear that basically nothing is happening at the moment due to strikes but I'd kinda come to the conclusion that vacancies were mostly likely filled by now.

I would be interested to know how applications are prioritised when they are reviewed. Do they use the results on the online testing to go through them from best to worst, does the CV get taken into account or is it all random? Would be useful to know for next time and whether there's anything I can improve upon.

How did you find the assessment day and when do you hope to know if you have been successful for the customer service role?

Jaguar

Thank you for this update and for taking the time to ask the recruitment team about this. It's frustrating to hear that basically nothing is happening at the moment due to strikes but I'd kinda come to the conclusion that vacancies were mostly likely filled by now.

I would be interested to know how applications are prioritised when they are reviewed. Do they use the results on the online testing to go through them from best to worst, does the CV get taken into account or is it all random? Would be useful to know for next time and whether there's anything I can improve upon.

How did you find the assessment day and when do you hope to know if you have been successful for the customer service role?
Speaking from experience, having psychometrics passed to their standard helps massively during selection.

ollie_hobbs

I can't comment on how applications are prioritised as I've no idea! I would hope CV's/Covering Letters would make a difference. Obviously passing the online tests to a high standard would make a difference as well.

The assessment day was largely straightforward, there were 6 of us total sitting the psychometric for this role. The exams were sat in a classroom-like setting, lasting around 2 hours total with a break after each. My only complaint was that the building air-con wasn't working!

We had 3 tests to complete;
Station Ticket and Verbal Test (STVT) - This was 30 verbal reasoning questions in 10 minutes. I ran out of time on this one, with 4 questions I didn't get a chance to finish. I think most of the other candidates also ran out of time. Reading 6 different passages of information and answering 5 questions about each takes longer than you might think!

Dispatch Concentration Test (TDCT) - This was 50 questions answered from a played recording. You had to deduce if a sequence was in the correct order for a train to depart safely and answer a customer question at the same time. Lots of miscellaneous station background noise means you have to listen carefully.

PA Announcement Test (PAAT) - For this one you had to prepare 3 PA announcements from different passages of information. 10 minutes to prepare and then read answers aloud. We were told it is more important to have all the correct information in the announcement rather than the way it was spoken.

I obviously don't want to speak too soon, but I hope I've done well enough to meet the required standard. I don't think it will be too long before we find out the results, hopefully less than a week.

Speaking from experience, having psychometrics passed to their standard helps massively during selection.
I am not sure if any of these 3 exams count towards other psychometric tests like guards and/or drivers. So might not really make any difference?

Jaguar

I can't comment on how applications are prioritised as I've no idea! I would hope CV's/Covering Letters would make a difference. Obviously passing the online tests to a high standard would make a difference as well.

The assessment day was largely straightforward, there were 6 of us total sitting the psychometric for this role. The exams were sat in a classroom-like setting, lasting around 2 hours total with a break after each. My only complaint was that the building air-con wasn't working!

Station Ticket and Verbal Test (STVT) - This was 30 verbal reasoning questions in 10 minutes. I ran out of time on this one, with 4 questions I didn't get a chance to finish. I think most of the other candidates also ran out of time. Reading 6 different passages of information and answering 5 questions about each takes longer than you might think!

Dispatch Concentration Test (TDCT) - This was 50 questions answered from a played recording. You had to deduce if a sequence was in the correct order for a train to depart safely and answer a customer question at the same time. Lots of miscellaneous station background noise means you have to listen carefully.

PA Announcement Test (PAAT) - For this one you had to prepare 3 PA announcements from different passages of information. 10 minutes to prepare and then read answers aloud. We were told it is more important to have all the correct information in the announcement rather than the way it was spoken.

I obviously don't want to speak too soon, but I hope I've done well enough to meet the required standard. I don't think it will be too long before we find out the results, hopefully less than a week.

I am not sure if any of these 3 exams count towards other psychometric tests like guards and/or drivers. So might not really make any difference?
I wouldn’t of thought so (only assuming). None of those tests are on the driver psychometrics. I just meant that having the driver psychometrics already passed to their standards helped massively during the selection process for the driver role in my own experience.

SarahDee

I wouldn’t of thought so (only assuming). None of those tests are on the driver psychometrics. I just meant that having the driver psychometrics already passed to their standards helped massively during the selection process for the driver role in my own experience.
Thank you for the advice. I think I will broaden my horizons in relation to TOC's as I've no idea if I'd actually pass the psychometrics so would rather get the opportunity to do them than keep pinning hopes on LNER and then fail them after a looooong wait! Thanks again.

Good luck, hope it's good news for you. A job with LNER is gunna b great and hopefully a foot in the door for driver eventually!

Doncaster

Which means what I was thinking , which was that people that haven't received any email after the video interview since MONTHS is equal to those who are not successful. Why? You have just said that, because there are people who have arleady done and completed all tests, including the medical ones. There is no more rooms for those who didn't get any updates. For those, just apply for other railway companies, my advice.

What about for those that have passed all psychometric tests from other train companies ? Would they be considered at the same level with the candidate that passed all in LNER during the assessment day or one step below? I believe they would be prioritised those who passed with LNER first..

Jaguar

Which means what I was thinking , which was that people that haven't received any email after the video interview since MONTHS is equal to those who are not successful. Why? You have just said that, because there are people who have arleady done and completed all tests, including the medical ones. There is no more rooms for those who didn't get any updates. For those, just apply for other railway companies, my advice.

What about for those that have passed all psychometric tests from other train companies ? Would they be considered at the same level with the candidate that passed all in LNER during the assessment day or one step below? I believe they would be prioritised those who passed with LNER first..
I’m not too sure, I already had them passed to their standard so all went pretty quickly.

ollie_hobbs

Good luck, hope it's good news for you. A job with LNER is gunna b great and hopefully a foot in the door for driver eventually!
That's the idea, work my way up. Once you're in and get to know a few people there will be lots of opportunities available!

Just found out today I've passed all 3 exams and will be updated on the next stage soon :smile: (for the dispatcher role)

SarahDee

That's the idea, work my way up. Once you're in and get to know a few people there will be lots of opportunities available!

Just found out today I've passed all 3 exams and will be updated on the next stage soon :smile: (for the dispatcher role)
Congrats! You must be thrilled!

TreacleMiller

LNER will be unaware of any driver testing passes until you literally tell them in an interview. Based on my experience starting with them you will not stand out any more than a first time candidate unless you somehow slip it into your video interview on the first video or explicitly state it during your DMI - if you get that far.

foxc01

LNER will be unaware of any driver testing passes until you literally tell them in an interview. Based on my experience starting with them you will not stand out any more than a first time candidate unless you somehow slip it into your video interview on the first video or explicitly state it during your DMI - if you get that far.
100%. My best friend has been with East Coast since they operated as GNER back in the early 2000's, working up to train manager/guard. After applying for a driver role 9 times internally throughout his 20 years of service, he's only just started his apprenticeship at the back end of last year. I don't believe there's any benefit to getting in the door and working up - especially if you've got a driver role in mind.

Established Member
100%. My best friend has been with East Coast since they operated as GNER back in the early 2000's, working up to train manager/guard. After applying for a driver role 9 times internally throughout his 20 years of service, he's only just started his apprenticeship at the back end of last year. I don't believe there's any benefit to getting in the door and working up - especially if you've got a driver role in mind.

I’d also echo this. The best advice these days is to apply for driver roles directly if that’s what you want to do. Sadly there are many disgruntled TMs where I am who have been knocked back internally and are applying elsewhere for trainee driver jobs.

Also there’s the risk that, if you get a different railway job and then fail the driver testing, you’ll be trapped in a job you didn’t really want in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.