• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - compulsory reservations after July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

Am I right in remembering that BR considered this for the ECML in the late 80's?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
Am I right in remembering that BR considered this for the ECML in the late 80's?
BR toyed with platform passes so that certain peak trains out of London weren't too full. I don't think that was so restricted as to eliminate standing, I thought it was the west coast, and if they ever really actually did it they abandoned it pretty quickly. Most importantly it wasn't the last train, so worst case you'd be delayed by an hour

102 fan

BR toyed with platform passes so that certain peak trains out of London weren't too full. I don't think that was so restricted as to eliminate standing, I thought it was the west coast, and if they ever really actually did it they abandoned it pretty quickly. Most importantly it wasn't the last train, so worst case you'd be delayed by an hour

Sorry, it could of been the WCML. I remember people at the time complaining of having a ticket and being unable to travel.

cactustwirly

Established Member
LNER still seem to be one of the more successful long distance operators in recovering passenger numbers in spite of compulsory reservations.

Hmm I must be imagining the GWR service I took yesterday which had every seat taken plus standing in the vestibule!

Jimini

Established Member
Are CrossCountry still insisting on compulsory reservations as well after the 19th? I've got a few Coventry > Swindon trips to make in the next couple of weeks (via. Reading (I need to stop at RDG on the way back so have to go that way)), and if I look at the CC app, it's saying all the tickets via. Reading are sold out (on the 20th and 22nd) and I'd need to go Cov > Leamington > Oxford > Didcot > Swindon!

Crossover

Established Member
Are CrossCountry still insisting on compulsory reservations as well after the 19th? I've got a few Coventry > Swindon trips to make in the next couple of weeks (via. Reading (I need to stop at RDG on the way back so have to go that way)), and if I look at the CC app, it's saying all the tickets via. Reading are sold out (on the 20th and 22nd) and I'd need to go Cov > Leamington > Oxford > Didcot > Swindon!
Someone told me the other day they're not compulsory on XC anyway. The last time I travelled with them, I did obtain reservations but no-one asked to see them (and as two of us were travelling together and it reserved us at opposite ends of the carriage, we took one of the seats and the other person sat at the same table...safe in the knowledge the system wouldn't oust either of us!)

XC reservations are also not possible for the 170 services on Cardiff to Nottingham

Gaz55

If people get on without a reservation, are they going to be asked to get off at the next station? I've not had my seat reservation checked on any journey made during Covid.

greyman42

Established Member
If people get on without a reservation, are they going to be asked to get off at the next station? I've not had my seat reservation checked on any journey made during Covid.
If you get on without a reservation nothing will happen in my experience.

WestRiding

Sheffield to London rather than Doncaster to London for me then. No fuss, comfier seats, turn up and go.

Iskra

Established Member
Sheffield to London rather than Doncaster to London for me then. No fuss, comfier seats, turn up and go.
Same here, with the added option of Avanti from Stockport to mix things up. LNER have become a joke in the last 12 months (my opinion of them before that was very high). I don't need to travel on them and there are alternatives over all of their route.

GC and Hull Trains will be loving the extra custom in what has been a difficult time for them.

bramling

Veteran Member
Same here, with the added option of Avanti from Stockport to mix things up. LNER have become a joke in the last 12 months (my opinion of them before that was very high). I don't need to travel on them and there are alternatives over all of their route.

GC and Hull Trains will be loving the extra custom in what has been a difficult time for them.

Must admit LNER has become a bit of a “no go” for us. Not an operator that’s easy to use at the moment.

317 forever

Established Member

Except that reservations are compulsory on GC too. I have even had to allow for this on my imminent Bradford - Pontefract journey.

317 forever

Established Member
Including after the 19th?
Neither the National Rail nor the Grand Central website has been updated to suggest otherwise.

In the case of the Grand Central website
Seat availability | Grand Central Rail quotes
When travelling long distances, we know that most Grand Central customers prefer to be seated, and indeed we are currently operating a "reservation-only" policy requiring this prior to setting off.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are CrossCountry still insisting on compulsory reservations as well after the 19th?
Only for booking through websites that offer itineraries. On the train there is no issue at all.

The result is many XC journeys show as 1st class only but in reality the trains often have many empty standard class seats

james60059

Are CrossCountry still insisting on compulsory reservations as well after the 19th?

XC reservations wasn't reliable anyway. When I did an East Midlands Rover last month, I tried a few times to reserve a seat from Peterborough to Nuneaton and got told there was none available. The train rolled in, and I had a bay of 4 each time. Most passengers in the same coach was 12.

bengley

Established Member
LNER appear to have dropped the compulsory reservations message from their website.
Interesting. I have just had a quick look and I also can't see any obvious references to them being mandatory.

Hopefully this is a last minute change of policy.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting. I have just had a quick look and I also can't see any obvious references to them being mandatory.

Hopefully this is a last minute change of policy.
LNER have no right to unilaterally implement such a policy but perhaps someone in the company thought they did

The DfT always said it had to be a temporary measure and subject to regular review (I'm sure there was an FOI request posted on the forum many months ago about this; I will see if I can find it later and edit this post accordingly).

Failed Unit

Established Member

Certainly looks dead now.

Seat reservations​

Don't get caught out on a long journey. If you have a flexible ticket, Season Ticket or travel pass, you might not have a reserved seat. We recommend that you check your ticket for a seat reservation and secure your seat!

Need a seat reservation for your LNER journey? Make a free seat reservation here on our website or the LNER Mobile App, even if you bought your ticket somewhere else.

Crossover

Established Member

Certainly looks dead now.

Good news!

Moreover:

Social distancing in England and Scotland

• Social distancing until 19 July: If you’ve booked a ticket with LNER before the 13 July, for travel after the change in government social distance guidance (on 19 July), we’re still keeping your seat socially distanced. However, customers with flexible tickets may take seats around yours if there is limited space onboard.
  • Social distancing from 19 July: the government's guidance on social distancing will change and you may be seated next to another passenger

This looks to back up that social distancing and compulsory reservations are gone (possibly with immediate effect!)

Failed Unit

Established Member
Good news!

Moreover:

This looks to back up that social distancing and compulsory reservations are gone (possibly with immediate effect!)
I can see that last point causing problems, but they are easily resolved if you can rebook your reservation, so two people travelling together (but booked separately) can now actually sit next to each other.

Bishopstone

Established Member
The savvy amongst LNER's social media team will have booked leave for the next fortnight, because a combination of the mask mandate ending (but still 'expected'), and the end of social distancing with strangers sat together in airline seats and '4s' is going to create quite a rumpus. Pity the poor guards having to deal with the inevitable fallout.

As I posted this morning in another thread, I think we are going to discover that 50%-70% (max) occupancy on long distance trains, with guaranteed 'room to spread', was a very popular policy in all quarters from the Covid-nervous to rail enthusiasts. The unwind - necessary at some point, if not now - is going to be difficult.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The savvy amongst LNER's social media team will have booked leave for the next fortnight, because a combination of the mask mandate ending (but still 'expected'), and the end of social distancing with strangers sat together in airline seats and '4s' is going to create quite a rumpus. Pity the poor guards having to deal with the inevitable fallout.

As I posted this morning in another thread, I think we are going to discover that 50%-70% (max) occupancy on long distance trains, with guaranteed 'room to spread', was a very popular policy in all quarters from the Covid-nervous to rail enthusiasts. The unwind - necessary at some point, if not now - is going to be difficult.
The problem is that, as popular as it might be, unfortunately it's just not financially sustainable.

If people were faced with the true choice at hand - sit next to a stranger or pay 50-100% more for your journey - I suspect the vast majority will (perhaps reluctantly) plump for the former option.

Bishopstone

Established Member
The problem is that, as popular as it might be, unfortunately it's just not financially sustainable.

If people were faced with the true choice at hand - sit next to a stranger or pay 50-100% more for your journey - I suspect the vast majority will (perhaps reluctantly) plump for the former option.

I think you're right on both counts, and eventually things will settle down, but the next few weeks will be difficult for those on the front line.

Crossover

Established Member
The unwind - necessary at some point, if not now - is going to be difficult.
Possibly not for this thread, but I think the rewind is going to be difficult accross the board, not just on public transport, "thanks" to the media frenzy that has been kicked up

joncombe

Good news!

Moreover:

Yes however underneath that the information about masks just says "Face coverings must be worn on all our services". Will that also apply after 19th July? It seems odd to me they have updated the social distancing guidelines for post 19th July but not face covering. So either that means LNER will still be mandating face coverings or this part hasn't been updated yet? Anyone know which it is?

I have a couple of journeys I'd like to book but I'm holding off until I know if face coverings will no longer be mandatory.

Crossover

Established Member
Yes however underneath that the information about masks just says "Face coverings must be worn on all our services". Will that also apply after 19th July? It seems odd to me they have updated the social distancing guidelines for post 19th July but not face covering. So either that means LNER will still be mandating face coverings or this part hasn't been updated yet? Anyone know which it is?

I have a couple of journeys I'd like to book but I'm holding off until I know if face coverings will no longer be mandatory.
I did spot that and it is a good question!

bengley

Established Member

They will not be mandatory as they will not be on all other TOCs.

APT618S

Good news they seem to be getting rid of compulsory reservations.
Just hope they get back into the habit of switching on the seat reservation displays which from my current observations only seem to be on perhaps 10-20% of journeys I have made.
I did notice recently on one of the rare occasions they were on that there are now 2 categories for non reserved seats:
May be reserved & Available.
So presumably only the may be reserved ones will be allowed to be reserved en-route.

Status
Not open for further replies.