• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Considering Requiring Passengers to Check-in Before Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Jeez, if your phone is that incapable, just ring them....

"If you require a reservation on an LNER train service and have been unable to reserve a seat online, please call 03457 225 333 the reservation line is open Monday – Friday 08:00-22:00. Please note that our team are only able to reserve a seat on an LNER train, we do not provide reservations for other train operators."

And if you want to travel at the weekend or before 8am?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lancs

And if you want to travel at the weekend or before 8am?

Just do it the day / night before...

Do you often need to make an unexpected / unscheduled train journey at 6am? If you've already purchased a ticket without a reservation then you are highly likely to know when you want to go in advance...

Scotrail314209

Established Member
One thing I find annoying about the compulsory reservations is that it is to apply distancing.

I did 1S23 20:18 Edinburgh - Glasgow Central, most of the passengers were reserved into Coach C, with Coaches B & A being entirely empty. Surely if you are to promote distancing then you should really spread out.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
One thing I find annoying about the compulsory reservations is that it is to apply distancing.

I did 1S23 20:18 Edinburgh - Glasgow Central, most of the passengers were reserved into Coach C, with Coaches B & A being entirely empty. Surely if you are to promote distancing then you should really spread out.

I think B and A are kept free to allow for passengers delayed from previous trains, etc.

norbitonflyer

Established Member

Do you often need to make an unexpected / unscheduled train journey at 6am?
Last time I used LNER was precisely in those circumstances. 300 mile dash to my father's deathbed early on a Saturday morning.

route101

Established Member

Do you often need to make an unexpected / unscheduled train journey at 6am? If you've already purchased a ticket without a reservation then you are highly likely to know when you want to go in advance...

Quite often its the outward journey i know what time im getting the train but not the return, especially if the trains are frequent , up to hourly.

I had that on avanti, whole coach empty yet i had someone sit next to me in their reserved seats.

I seen that in the summer on LNER, passengers were all close to each other, some moved. Though they switched off the seat reservation displays so you didnt know if the seats were free, european style.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Last time I used LNER was precisely in those circumstances. 300 mile dash to my father's deathbed early on a Saturday morning.

I would like to think that staff would show suitable discretion and flexibility in such a situation (I've had the same cause to make a completely spontaneous long distance journey - turning up at Euston from a meeting within about 20 minutes of the hospital calling)

Haywain

Veteran Member
I had that on avanti, whole coach empty yet i had someone sit next to me in their reserved seats
So, they were in their reserved seat? That must mean that you were not and therefore you were at fault.

YorksLad12

Established Member

Not just in Covid times. In March I got the (Azuma) train from Leeds to London, five reserved seats in the whole Standard carriage, one next to my own reserved seat. Being early I moved on down, but would have been annoyed if I'd arrived just in time and had to turf someone out of their aisle seat to let me in to my window seat

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I would like to think that staff would show suitable discretion and flexibility in such a situation (I've had the same cause to make a completely spontaneous long distance journey - turning up at Euston from a meeting within about 20 minutes of the hospital calling)

Happens all the time - I recall a young man dashing home to Kenton one night who missed the DC connection at Watford off the WCML just as it dropped to a 30 min frequency. So we taxied him direct to the location (and he made it in time) - there were always "spare" reservations in BR days for urgent last min needs on the sleepers - in the name of "Mr Hicks"......

Status
Not open for further replies.