• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Kings X to Hull AP Prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
I'm currently sorting out my return to the office.
Previously I went down to London Monday Morning and came back Friday evening on the 17:18 Executive.
Come September I'll only be there 3 days. So either Mon,Tues, Wed or Wed, Thurs, Fri.
Just having a look at AP ticket prices. It looks like in, say, November a return to Hull on Weds or Thurs evening is £39 AP. However Friday is currently only £16. It looks the same for several weeks I looked at.

Now, the question is, is Friday evening normally cheaper AP wise than Weds or Thurs anyway? I have only ever (apart from 1 or 2 exceptions) ever traveled back from London on a Friday so I have never checked prices for other days. Or is this perhaps linked to the current situation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nickswift99

Historically, more people tend to work from home on Friday than the rest of the week, so you may find that demand (and hence prices) are lower on routes that are heavily business focused. Thursday nights used to be the peak getaway.

This is typically compensated for by leisure travel on routes with a mixed demand, which can push up AP fares on Friday evenings.

westv

Established Member
Ok thanks. Just need to decide at some point whether I come back on Weds evening or Friday evening.

or not bother at all! :D

Haywain

Veteran Member
Two things will have affected that - one is that travel patterns have changed and are likely to remain changed, the second is that the change to Off-Peak and Super Off Peak restrictions on Fridays by LNER means that demand is more evenly spread and should remove the intensity of demand on certain services.

westv

Established Member
It points to perhaps Weds-Fri being cheaper in the long run then.
Not sure what's worse.That Sunday evening feeling when you know you have to cart yourself down to London early the next day or the same thing on Tuesday evening.

WFH the other two work days.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It points to perhaps Weds-Fri being cheaper in the long run then.
Not sure what's worse.That Sunday evening feeling when you know you have to cart yourself down to London early the next day or the same thing on Tuesday evening.

WFH the other two work days.

With WFH, there may be less pressure to travel Friday night, back Sunday night to stay with relatives etc over a weekend.

Why not travel Friday daytime and work on the train there, then back during the day on Monday. Could ease the traditional pressure on Friday and Sunday evenings and give folk a full 2 day weekend (not a day and a bit if you have the "Sunday evening feeling")

westv

Established Member
My office were enquiring as to whether I would go in M-W rather than W-F so I had another look at the fares.
I was surprised how much LNER were charging for journeys on a Wednesday evening up until December . £85 standard AP. As far as I can remember that's twice the price I ever paid for Friday in the previous 7 years prior to Covid.
I will politely refuse the request from my office. :rolleyes:

ricoblade

Historically, more people tend to work from home on Friday than the rest of the week, so you may find that demand (and hence prices) are lower on routes that are heavily business focused. Thursday nights used to be the peak getaway.

This is typically compensated for by leisure travel on routes with a mixed demand, which can push up AP fares on Friday evenings.

I concur with this - We did a Retford<>London day trip last week and the prices were significantly cheaper on a Friday compared to other weekdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.