• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER "requesting" people wear facemasks 100% of the time on their stations and trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumble

If people want to wear face coverings then they shouldn't be judged the way you are judging them. It's a bit of pot calling kettle black complaining about dirty looks being given to people not wearing them and being called inconsiderate etc, yet you're being derogatory here towards the people who are wearing them!
It is presumably the same people you seek to defend who think it acceptable to take photographs of people and send them to LNER
Anyone commenting on someone who is acting entirely legally but is not wearing a mask needs to learn to mind their own business

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VauxhallandI

Established Member
It's not exactly a choice if you are travelling abroad, or to Northern Ireland, or one of the Scottish islands for example. Most ferries (where they even provide a viable alternative) require masks, exactly the same as the airlines.

LNER have deliberately worded their messaging, particularly with the phrase "we understand if you can't wear a face covering" - implying that if you can wear a face covering but don't, you're a bad person.

There's really no need for this muddling of the industry message. But of course LNER are always a special case, just like how they "needed" compulsory reservations when no other TOC had them.
They like the Government have been guilty of are so out of touch with reality.

I’d love to take the LNER decision makers on a trip through London workplaces, restaurants and pubs to show them what really is going on and how pointless their stance is.

DustyBin

Established Member
It seems to me the best solution would be if somebody who has acually seen the poster was to write to LNER about it and share the response they give. It would be more effective than posting on here. Has anybody done that?

Not quite, but I have complained previously about the announcements made by an extremely overzealous TM. Their (repeated) announcements advised people to text the BTP if they saw somebody not wearing a mask, and that if exempt you must carry and display an exemption certificate at all times. Utter nonsense but LNER failed to acknowledge the problem and simply hid behind the “safety of our customers and staff is paramount” line.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It seems to me the best solution would be if somebody who has acually seen the poster was to write to LNER about it and share the response they give. It would be more effective than posting on here. Has anybody done that?
LNER have been contacted via Twitter and nothing changed.
Not quite, but I have complained previously about the announcements made by an extremely overzealous TM. Their (repeated) announcements advised people to text the BTP if they saw somebody not wearing a mask, and that if exempt you must carry and display an exemption certificate at all times. Utter nonsense but LNER failed to acknowledge the problem and simply hid behind the “safety of our customers and staff is paramount” line.
Nothing will change because there are some very high up people at LNER who are strong believers in the ability of face coverings to stop virus transmission.

The problem is their argument lacks nuance; yes face coverings can be highly effective but they would need to be high grade masks, and not the sort that the general public wear.

The good news is most LNER passengers are not wearing them, so I suspect LNER will realise the game is up in the next few weeks.

It's not pleasant feeling like you are being told off, despite doing nothing wrong, when on their trains. But I'm determined not to give into them; the more aggressive they are the more determined I am.

Green tractor

Well perhaps contacting LNER via the address given for complaints might be more successful, aren't they obliged to reply when it is done that way?

Was there a reply from the Twitter account?

danm14

It's not exactly a choice if you are travelling abroad, or to Northern Ireland, or one of the Scottish islands for example. Most ferries (where they even provide a viable alternative) require masks, exactly the same as the airlines.
For the record, Stena Line ferries to Northern Ireland only "require" masks at ports and when walking around the interior decks of the ship. You can officially remove them when seated or on the exterior decks.

In my experience, the staff - both on-board and at the ports - could not care less, and nor could the police and private security at the ports.

A substantial number of passengers don't wear one, and the only time I have ever seen it be an issue was when a group of intoxicated unmasked passengers kept walking over and back at Guest Services fake-coughing in the direction of the staff member there while commenting on how she was "muzzled like a dog". Even then, the other unmasked passengers were ignored.

A very, very different situation from airlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.