• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Society Railtour September 1977

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czesziafan

On 23rd - 25th September 1977 I was on an LNER Society railtour from Euston to Fort William and Mallaig and return, both journeys being overnight. On the down run the route was via the WCML, New Street, Carlisle and Mossend to the West Highland line. On the return leg I fell asleep before Carlisle and awoke in the early hours to find we were on an unelectrified double track section behind an unidentified class 47 "somewhere in the north of England". I can remember a few hours later passing Deansgate, Manchester Oxford Road and Piccadilly, Crewe where an electric took over, then as outward via New Street and the Northampton loop to Euston.

What I would like to know is what route the return train took between Carlisle and Manchester on 24/25 Sept: did it go via the S&C or some other route and if so which? Did anyone else on that train make a record of the return route?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Possibly S+C, turning off at Hellifield to go down through Clitheroe and Bolton?

Commoner

On 23rd - 25th September 1977 I was on an LNER Society railtour from Euston to Fort William and Mallaig and return, both journeys being overnight. On the down run the route was via the WCML, New Street, Carlisle and Mossend to the West Highland line. On the return leg I fell asleep before Carlisle and awoke in the early hours to find we were on an unelectrified double track section behind an unidentified class 47 "somewhere in the north of England". I can remember a few hours later passing Deansgate, Manchester Oxford Road and Piccadilly, Crewe where an electric took over, then as outward via New Street and the Northampton loop to Euston.

What I would like to know is what route the return train took between Carlisle and Manchester on 24/25 Sept: did it go via the S&C or some other route and if so which? Did anyone else on that train make a record of the return route?

Any info would be much appreciated.
Amazing, I was on the same rail tour as a young lad, but notebook from that day long gone, and memories now very scant. As such I apologise for having nothing new to add. Thanks for clarifying the outward route Czesziafan. I too would be interested in the confirmation of the return routing and also the ID of any traction used on the tour. Thanks Commoner.

Czesziafan

I can help with some of the traction, Commoner. I still have my notes which confirm: 23/9/77. Euston - Mossend 86212; Mossend - Fort William 27026+27043; Fort William - Mallaig 27110+27003. 24/9/77. Mallaig - Fort William 27003+27020; Fort William - Mossend 27036+27043; Mossend - Carlisle 86101; Carlisle - Crewe unknown class 47; Crewe - New Street (via Bescot) 83006; New Street - Euston (via Aston, Northampton) 85034.

Commoner

That's brilliant. Had always wondered what we had up front. Many thanks for sharing the Gen. I am sorry I can't reciprocate. My memories of the tour was that it was a long and exhausting weekend. I travelled from Rugby. Remember being awake throughout the night of the 23/24 and nodding off with first light as we made our way up through the Highlands. The other thing that I recall is that the friend I was with, had the "gift of the gab" at 14 and he talked the catering car attendant into furnishing us with fried breakfasts free of charge on Sunday morning. Hopefully someone will fill in details with the route. Over the years I have kept an eye on Six Bells Junction but nothing reported. Maybe submitting the known details there might prompt someone else to come forward with more info.

Thanks (Commoner)

Status
Not open for further replies.