• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Station Platform Zones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Numbers are surely inappropriate for sections along a platform as they will become confused with platform numbers. This is why all previous zone systems have used letters, colours, etc.
So GWR have used numbered zones for many years, doesn't cause any confusion as from what I see when travelling.

See plenty of cyclist's (of which there any many), look at screen or after hearing announcement go and stand in the correct area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Doesn't help that, unlike most of Europe, we use Coach letters rather than Numbers. So where other countries can use letters for platform Zones (like France does), we can't.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Letters could be confused with coach letters.

Colours could be deemed discriminatory against colour blindness (unless backed up by words).

As you only see the Zones once you're on the advertised platform, the potential for further confusion is probably quite small.

Yep, it seems to work OK on Avanti. Interestingly platforms A and B at St Pancras have zones A-E and that doesn't seem to confuse people!

The BR colour zones were backed up by words, but there were only 4 (orange, purple, blue and gold) so it wasn't quite as granular, and obviously unlike numbers/letters there isn't an obvious sequence.

It's a shame we use platform number suffixes and coach letters rather than numbers, as if we didn't we could adopt the European norm of using letters.

Doesn't help that, unlike most of Europe, we use Coach letters rather than Numbers. So where other countries can use letters for platform Zones (like France does), we can't.

I actually reckon that A and B suffixed platform numbers would be more of an issue with that than coach letters. We of course now use both - letters for trains with reservations, numbers for trains without!

ta-toget

I'm sure I've seen roman numerals used on some railway network for some purpose, to distinguish it from something else, but I really can't remember, which renders this anecdote somewhat useless. I think it might have been zones on platforms, or it might have been something like what they do in France sometimes (platform x, track y, so platform covers both sides, track specifies which side you wait on).

londonmidland

Established Member
I'm not sure if the screen installation and announcements are related but is there any ETA of when the automated announcements will be rolled out to the rest of LNER's stations? Currently only York and Newcastle have them.

flitwickbeds

I'm betting they'll be Infotec TFT screens as seen here. https://www.infotec.co.uk/index.php?page=tft-display-overview

Probably something like the ones on the right found on the Thameslink network, if they're to show the platform zones:
tft-displays.jpg
The all-stop Luton trains are never 12 coaches!

TheHolyGrayl

I think I may have spotted a lone one in the wild at Grantham station… strangely it’s mounted on the wall outside, visible as you approach the station from the car park. I’d not noticed a screen there before. The rest of the screens are unchanged.

First impressions are that it’s very clear and bright, and doesn’t exhibit the same jerkiness I’ve seen on Greater Anglia’s new screens!

Attachments

• 92D20BAB-8456-4F6D-A5BB-B419223411B5.jpeg
    92D20BAB-8456-4F6D-A5BB-B419223411B5.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 77

londonmidland

Established Member
Those screens look nice. I like how it tells you the current location of a train, too.

Is there still no date as to when the platform screens will be replaced with the addition of announcements across LNER’s stations?

Deepgreen

Established Member
So GWR have used numbered zones for many years, doesn't cause any confusion as from what I see when travelling.

See plenty of cyclist's (of which there any many), look at screen or after hearing announcement go and stand in the correct area.
They have been applied to the stations on the North Downs line recently, but at least one platform, the eastbound at Dorking West, has them in the wrong order, with Zone 4 at the front! If anyone ever takes any notice of them (which I very much doubt) that will cause them confusion!

Those screens look nice. I like how it tells you the current location of a train, too.

Is there still no date as to when the platform screens will be replaced with the addition of announcements across LNER’s stations?
If they work properly. I was at Woking yesterday evening and the screen told me my train was at Surbiton - just as it was arriving in front of me!

Parallel

Established Member
I visited York a couple of weeks ago, and the Zones are now widely announced for most TOCs services that call there.

LNER - Zones used to signpost where first and standard class are
TPE - Zones used for first class, standard class, cycle spaces and wheelchair facilities
XC - Zones used for some services, namely seems to be for trains where the diagram began in GWR territory.
Grand Central - No zones information used
Northern - No zones information used

It would be good if LNER could add the cycle spaces and wheelchair facilities information for their services seeing as it's their station and their CIS system!

Status
Not open for further replies.