• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

train-safe

Hello all, I have been a lurker here since Monday.

I popped in a last minute LNER application on Sunday afternoon on a whim and straight away was invited to do a few rounds of questions and verbal reasoning. Something I certainly was not expecting. Then on Monday evening was invited for a video interview and have just done it, Wow it was a challenge!!!

To everyone who has done it, my mind went blank on question 1, it threw me even though I practiced it. My mind just went blank!!! It was possibly the most important question too!

I believe I was much better on the other 5 questions and got in alot of relevant information so I feel as confident as I can with those.

To anyone in the know.... will partially fluffing one answer from nerves hold me back? Will 5 strong answers redeem me? Is there a score to achieve???

Im just looking for something, anything to make me feel less of an idiot:'(

Without sounding harsh id imagine messing up on one answer will cost you when you think about the amount of applications. But think of it as a good experience and the next time you get to this stage you will be better prepared and more confident due to this experience. Not many people get a drivers job on their first application (took me about 7/8).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bob Wilson

Without sounding harsh id imagine messing up on one answer will cost you when you think about the amount of applications. But think of it as a good experience and the next time you get to this stage you will be better prepared and more confident due to this experience. Not many people get a drivers job on their first application (took me about 7/8).
Hmmmmm I fear that. I will cross my fingers and hope that my other answers were so good that they can’t say no!

Out of interest do you know how often apprenticeships come up in Newcastle?

Eski

Just done my video interview and can honestly say it's not as bad as people may think. Best advice I can give is the same I read on this forum. Read the job role and you'll have a feel for the questions that will be asked of you. Time will tell if I'm successful however!

Bob Wilson

Just done my video interview and can honestly say it's not as bad as people may think. Best advice I can give is the same I read on this forum. Read the job role and you'll have a feel for the questions that will be asked of you. Time will tell if I'm successful however!
I had preempted and had great notes for every answer already written down. I just froze on the first question. The other 5 were belters! It will give the people watching my interview a good laugh .

This online situation was new to me. I hopefully got some great points across but like you, time will tell. In a real interview you can ask to go back to a question etc but I certainly wasn’t a fan of doing things this way.

DriverEight

After reading the posts on MMIs throughout the forum, it seems like the 6 questions asked at the video interview stage were fairly standard MMI questions. Is it possible that this might have been my MMI interview, or is it likely that I'll get a formal, face to face interview further down the line? My first application, so I'm still picking my way around the process

skyhigh

Established Member
After reading the posts on MMIs throughout the forum, it seems like the 6 questions asked at the video interview stage were fairly standard MMI questions. Is it possible that this might have been my MMI interview, or is it likely that I'll get a formal, face to face interview further down the line? My first application, so I'm still picking my way around the process
If it was a self-recorded interview it won't have been a MMI. It's one of the tests with a 2-strike rule, and you get a back and forth interaction with the interviewer for the MMI.

LeeMck9

From researching this site for a while now, my understanding (although I stand to be corrected) is that the first 3 online tests and video interview are merely a weeding process for LNER.

The process should then involve psychometric testing (possibly over a couple of days which will consist of paper tests and computerised tests). The psychometric testing phase includes an MMI interview.

The next stage will a DMI interview with a driver manager and panel.

Then a medical.

Emilali

If I were you I would carefully read the recruitment process that LNER clearly outline on the job description. This and only this will be the process they follow. This should answer all questions you have on the process.

PG28

The vacancy description that went with the job advert seemed to be pretty clear that there are 5 steps in the selection process:
1. Application and 3 online tests
2. Video interview
3. Competency based interview, held via Teams, with Driver Team Managers and HR.
4. In-person psychometric testing
5. Medical

Presumably there will also be the usual checks you'd go through for any job such as references, past convictions etc., although I don't know at what stage those would be.

DriverEight

If I were you I would carefully read the recruitment process that LNER clearly outline on the job description. This and only this will be the process they follow. This should answer all questions you have on the process.
What to expect from the recruitment process?

Step 1. Application and Online Testing
As soon as you click on the ‘Apply' button you'll be asked to complete the application form which includes some personal details and uploading your CV. The application process will also involve some online tests. These tests are made up of behavioural and concentration tests, so we would advise that you find some time and a quiet space to complete them so that you aren't disturbed. Once you click ‘Start Now' you will need to complete that test to ensure a fair approach for all candidates.

Step 2. Video Interview
If successful at stage 1 you'll be invited to join us for a video nterview. Just as with a face to face interview we recommend that you prepare in advance and find a quiet place to do the video interview where you won't be disturbed.

Step 3. Competency Based Interview
If successful at telephone interview, we'll invite you to attend an interview with our Driver Team Managers and a member of our People Resourcing team. Due to the current situation with Covid-19 these interviews are taking place on Microsoft Teams.

Step 4. Psychometric Testing
If successful at interview you'll be invited to attend psychometric testing which is conducted face to face. If you have already completed Driver psychometrics within the last five years, we'll simply check they are to our standard and you will skip this stage. If you have been unsuccessful within the last six months with any TOC, you'll unfortunately be unable to apply on this occasion. We anticipate that there will be further opportunities further down the line though, so watch this space.

Step 5. Medical
As always, there are strict medical standards to adhere to. Head to the RSSB website and look at RIS-3451-TOM to check you meet the standards

Nothing about MMIs

Emilali

What to expect from the recruitment process?

Step 1. Application and Online Testing
As soon as you click on the ‘Apply' button you'll be asked to complete the application form which includes some personal details and uploading your CV. The application process will also involve some online tests. These tests are made up of behavioural and concentration tests, so we would advise that you find some time and a quiet space to complete them so that you aren't disturbed. Once you click ‘Start Now' you will need to complete that test to ensure a fair approach for all candidates.

Step 2. Video Interview
If successful at stage 1 you'll be invited to join us for a video nterview. Just as with a face to face interview we recommend that you prepare in advance and find a quiet place to do the video interview where you won't be disturbed.

Step 3. Competency Based Interview
If successful at telephone interview, we'll invite you to attend an interview with our Driver Team Managers and a member of our People Resourcing team. Due to the current situation with Covid-19 these interviews are taking place on Microsoft Teams.

Step 4. Psychometric Testing
If successful at interview you'll be invited to attend psychometric testing which is conducted face to face. If you have already completed Driver psychometrics within the last five years, we'll simply check they are to our standard and you will skip this stage. If you have been unsuccessful within the last six months with any TOC, you'll unfortunately be unable to apply on this occasion. We anticipate that there will be further opportunities further down the line though, so watch this space.

Step 5. Medical
As always, there are strict medical standards to adhere to. Head to the RSSB website and look at RIS-3451-TOM to check you meet the standards

Nothing about MMIs
MMI is the last stage of the psychometric tests.

onestone

Hello all, I have been a lurker here since Monday.

I popped in a last minute LNER application on Sunday afternoon on a whim and straight away was invited to do a few rounds of questions and verbal reasoning. Something I certainly was not expecting. Then on Monday evening was invited for a video interview and have just done it, Wow it was a challenge!!!

To everyone who has done it, my mind went blank on question 1, it threw me even though I practiced it. My mind just went blank!!! It was possibly the most important question too!

I believe I was much better on the other 5 questions and got in alot of relevant information so I feel as confident as I can with those.

To anyone in the know.... will partially fluffing one answer from nerves hold me back? Will 5 strong answers redeem me? Is there a score to achieve???

Im just looking for something, anything to make me feel less of an idiot:'(
Hey Bob,

I am totally with you on this. I know I can do the job and would be a valuable asset to the company.
But I did the same thing today on my Video interview.

I messed up the 1st go, started the 2nd but got totally lost in what I was saying and ended up with about 20 seconds of silence before I actually swore!
So, if its any consolation, at least you didn't do what I did on the 1st question.

It was so bad that I just logged out and didn't do the next 5 questions. I went back later on to complete the others, but the damage is done and there is 0 chance that I will get to the next stage.
I would smash that psychometric testing too :(

My weakness has always been interviews, but the video interview and timer just startled me like a deer in train headlights!

From previous interviews that I have been in, each question is often graded out of say 5, you would need maybe 20 out of 30 to progress. So if you aced the other 5 questions, you still maybe within a shout of the next interview. However, swearing on video interview is probably an instant bin :)

Good luck

Michael1985

Hey Bob,

I am totally with you on this. I know I can do the job and would be a valuable asset to the company.

I messed up the 1st go, started the 2nd but got totally lost in what I was saying and ended up with about 20 seconds of silence before I actually swore!
So, if its any consolation, at least you didn't do what I did on the 1st question.

It was so bad that I just logged out and didn't do the next 5 questions. I went back later on to complete the others, but the damage is done and there is 0 chance that I will get to the next stage.

My weakness has always been interviews, but the video interview and timer just startled me like a deer in train headlights!

From previous interviews that I have been in, each question is often graded out of say 5, you would need maybe 20 out of 30 to progress. So if you aced the other 5 questions, you still maybe within a shout of the next interview. However, swearing on video interview is probably an instant bin :)

Good luck
Hi onestone

You can check back through all of my previous posts, and you’ll see that although I don’t post often, I always try and offer advice based on my own experience and am as helpful as possible.

For some reason, I have to say, I can’t help but feel that you come across as quite arrogant in your post.

You ‘know’ that you can do the job and that you ‘would smash that psychometric testing,’ yet you can’t record a three minute video, having had two opportunities, without swearing? You then claim that interviews are your weakness, which they are for a lot of people, and that the video and timer ‘startled you like a deer in train headlights.’

Like I say, there isn’t any logical reasoning, but it’s annoyed me that you appear to think the process is something you can ‘smash’ yet by your own admission, you’ve let yourself down at one of the first hurdles.

A couple of questions:

Where do you get your self confidence from?

What would you do if you were driving a train at 125mph and there were deer on the line, looking straight into your train headlights?

cc3000

Is the estimate for video interviews outcome approximately 4 weeks? Or is anyone aware of a time frame?

I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned they heard after 3 weeks during the past intake. But the way things are at the moment it could be longer. Hopefully sooner rather than later though :)

LadTheJack

Hi onestone

You can check back through all of my previous posts, and you’ll see that although I don’t post often, I always try and offer advice based on my own experience and am as helpful as possible.

For some reason, I have to say, I can’t help but feel that you come across as quite arrogant in your post.

You ‘know’ that you can do the job and that you ‘would smash that psychometric testing,’ yet you can’t record a three minute video, having had two opportunities, without swearing? You then claim that interviews are your weakness, which they are for a lot of people, and that the video and timer ‘startled you like a deer in train headlights.’

Like I say, there isn’t any logical reasoning, but it’s annoyed me that you appear to think the process is something you can ‘smash’ yet by your own admission, you’ve let yourself down at one of the first hurdles.

A couple of questions:

What would you do if you were driving a train at 125mph and there were deer on the line, looking straight into your train headlights?
No need for a reply like this and for questioning someone's logic, your reply certainly lacks it.

You yourself were obviously confident enough to get through your interview stage, but you weren't competent enough to get past the psychometric testing. Hence the bitter reply from yourself.

Onestone wasn't confident or competent enough during the interview stage, but he's said he's confident in doing the psychometric testing and for all you know he may be competent enough to pass the psychometric testing too.

Onestone can easily fix his problem with a different approach to his interviews, a bit more preparation and some self-belief. He might apply again in 6 months time and even land the job you desire, before yourself.

It's a myth that the best person for a job gets the job a lot of the time, as interviews only judge 'who was the best at selling themselves to the interviewer/company'.

A person may be better suited for a job but they just lack the confidence to sell themselves in an interview. Another person may have the confidence to sell themselves in an interview, have inferior skills required for the job and land it ahead of the guy who gave a bad interview who had the better skills.

It's not as black and white as you may think.

train-safe

Hi onestone

A couple of questions:

I agree with michael here.. if you struggled with a video interview and swore.. what would you be like in an extreme pressurised situation out on the main line? You stated the process ‘startled you like a deer in train headlights.’ Part of being a train driver is facing pressurised situations so perhaps the role isn't for you. Surprised at your arrogance despite messing up and logging out of the video interview.

Mattydo

Can someone please explain what an MMI and DMI is and what they would entail
Without going into too much detail as there is plenty already written in the various stickies (just do a search)...

MMI multi-modal interview. Is a structured, nationally standardised competency interview. You will be asked 6 competency based questions and have to provide examples including the situation, tasks, actions you took and the result or outcome. The interviewers (usually a panel of 2) will follow up to dig into how the situation made you feel and how you reacted. This forms part of your psychometric testing and as such you have two attempts at ever completing this interview. For many this can be the toughest part of the process. As this is a nationally standardised interview it will be in person and follow a set process. But as I say there is plenty of info including expected questions already on the forum.

DMI, Driver Manager Interview. This is your hiring manager interview and varies from TOC to TOC however broadly speaking there are questions about you, the company you wish to work for and some more competency based questions which I would say can be a little more unusual and challenge you to honest about your strengths and weaknesses and how you handle them.

Both last a little over an hour usually.

Last edited:

Eski

I'm sure the OP did not intend to come across as arrogant let's not rub salt in peoples wounds please I'm sure what he meant to say is that he will be ready next time

Without going into too much detail as there is plenty already written in the various stickies (just do a search)...

MMI multi-modal interview. Is a structured, nationally standardised competency interview. You will be asked for 6 competency based questions and have to provide examples including the situation, tasks, actions you did and the result or outcome. The interviewers (usually a panel of 2) will follow up to dig into how the situation made you feel and how you reacted. This forms part of your psychometric testing and as such you have two attempts at ever completing this interview. For many this can be the toughest part of the process. As this is a nationally standardised interview it will be in person and follow a set process. But as I say there is plenty of info including expected questions already on the forum.

DMI, Driver Manager Interview. This is your hiring manager interview and varies from TOC to TOC however broadly speaking there are questions about you, the company you wish to work for and some more competency based questions which I would say can be a little more unusual and challenge you to honest about your strengths and weaknesses and how you handle them.
Thank you for this :)

HLZ77

I really think you are both being a little harsh, people come on here to get guidance and support. I'm all for people giving constructive feedback, but this doesn't really qualify as that.

Maybe you've taken this persons self assurence as arrogance (maybe it is - I don't know, because I don't know them personally), but they came on here trying to make others feel better about their unfortunate experience with the recorded video by criticising themself, but were saddened that despite a poor interview they still feel they'd make a good train driver. The chances are lots of people who don't make the cut would infact make good train drivers after receiving a years intensive training. Disappointed to see these types of comments and telling someone that they aren't suited to a job. It's really not anyones place to say such things.

yasminsn

I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned they heard after 3 weeks during the past intake. But the way things are at the moment it could be longer. Hopefully sooner rather than later though :)
Brilliant, thank you for that information! Yes I’m definitely hoping sooner rather than later too:)

Michael1985

No need for a reply like this and for questioning someone's logic, your reply certainly lacks it.

You yourself were obviously confident enough to get through your interview stage, but you weren't competent enough to get past the psychometric testing. Hence the bitter reply from yourself.

Onestone wasn't confident or competent enough during the interview stage, but he's said he's confident in doing the psychometric testing and for all you know he may be competent enough to pass the psychometric testing too.

Onestone can easily fix his problem with a different approach to his interviews, a bit more preparation and some self-belief. He might apply again in 6 months time and even land the job you desire, before yourself.

It's a myth that the best person for a job gets the job a lot of the time, as interviews only judge 'who was the best at selling themselves to the interviewer/company'.

A person may be better suited for a job but they just lack the confidence to sell themselves in an interview. Another person may have the confidence to sell themselves in an interview, have inferior skills required for the job and land it ahead of the guy who gave a bad interview who had the better skills.

It's not as black and white as you may think.
Hi Jack

Again, that’s you’re opinion which you’re wholly entitled to, which I respect.

On reflection, my questions at the end of my original post were petty and slightly immature.

However, I think the overall theme, although not presented well, is valid. The OP contradicts himself in my opinion. One of the most important skills in any operational role within the railway industry is communication; you HAVE to be able to articulate yourself well. There could be situations that are a lot more pressurised than sitting in front of a screen for 3 minutes.

I had been reading back this thread as I hadn’t looked at it since last year, and the amount of people who were asking the same question over and over about the interview process, could have easily gone back through the thread and found a wealth of helpful advice. I accept that it’s irrational to get annoyed at that type of stuff and I can’t explain why onestones post got under my skin, but it did. I’m sure they are a perfectly nice person, but it just came across differently to me.

In terms of me being bitter, you couldn’t be further from the truth. You’ve obviously gone through my profile to find out that I failed my psychometrics. You’ll have also seen that after I failed, I produced a pretty in depth breakdown of the full day of testing in order to use as a reference for people who are about to go through the testing, from my own experience of course. I have also helped two people personally land driving roles by sitting down with them and offering them advice and hints based on my own experience. Obviously them passing was down to them, but they both said they found my help invaluable.

In terms of advice for the video interview, they are competency based and pretty standard for the industry. The job description pretty much sets out which competencies are going to be asked about. My advice would be to prepare your answers based on that.

My theory on the Situational Judgement test that has been mentioned a few times on this thread, is that all the answers are correct, but some are ‘more’ correct than others. Like I say, that’s just a theory as I don’t know how they mark them. I also think that some of the questions are easier to answer if you already work within the industry, especially in an operational role. Ultimately though, it is a behavioural test.

DriverEight

Can someone please explain what an MMI and DMI is and what they would entail
This forum definitely needs a glossary of terms and abbreviations used. I came across a reference to the OPC the other day, and when I googled it, I got Orthodox Presbyterian Church...... That can't be right!

Michael1985

This forum definitely needs a glossary of terms and abbreviations used. I came across a reference to the OPC the other day, and when I googled it, I got Orthodox Presbyterian Church...... That can't be right!
Occupational Psychology Centre. They’re based in Watford but they can send their staff anywhere really. Had mine in a Leeds hotel.

A lot of TOC’s outsource the psychometric testing and it’s usually OPC who administer them. DB also do it based in Doncaster and some companies do it in house.

BigB89

Where abouts in York is the training done exactly? Just wondering if there's much of a travel (if any) when you arrive at York or is it at the train station itself. Cheers!

FastTrax

Hey Bob,

Good luck
i am sorry to hear about this mate. u never know, u might get called in for DMI :)
if it is ok with you can kindly help me understand please....when you say u logged out and then went back and completed the others. do you mean u completed the video interviews? can u take a break between interview is what i am trying to understand. i do not have any test or interview fyi just trying to understand. thanks a lot and i am sure u will do better next video interview :)

Status
Not open for further replies.