• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Katie1990

When did you last try? Perhaps the pass mark is high or something, like get 14 out of 15 correct or something.
I last applied early last week, I am going to give it one more try but feeling really disheartened. Feel it may not be meant to be this time round but don't know u til I exhaust all possibilities.

I think the standard is set high but all my answers were customer and safety focused. It was the family engagement questions I feel I struggled with and the very similar options

Disagree with the one about the lady with her bag, I am a driver and will always help anyone who needs it, yes getting my train away on time is important but so is delivering excellent customer service. That question states there is no-one close enough to help so you would help her, these people pay our wages by buying tickets and travelling on our services, that to me is equally as important.

Agree. I started my training in January as an apprentice driver for LNER. When I did my application last year I also ticked the box to help the lady with the bag. Customer service is second only to safety these days.

Katie1990

Agree. I started my training in January as an apprentice driver for LNER. When I did my application last year I also ticked the box to help the lady with the bag. Customer service is second only to safety these days.
Out of interest seeing as this round is closed what sort of answer did you give to the family engagement and birthday party questions?

mechanic2

I was wondering how long it was between the time you applied to the time you started your training?

Out of interest seeing as this round is closed what sort of answer did you give to the family engagement and birthday party questions?

Ah man I've slept since then! You have to accept that this job comes with safety and responsibility at the fore front, so it might mean missing out. Depending on the answers it'll be go home early and not drink, or just miss it. I did it last March so sorry I can't be more helpful.

I was wondering how long it was between the time you applied to the time you started your training?

I applied last March but didn't even have the teams interview until September I think? Covid delayed things a lot. I imagine it won't be as long this time around as they've adapted around covid since.

mechanic2

Ah man I've slept since then! You have to accept that this job comes with safety and responsibility at the fore front, so it might mean missing out. Depending on the answers it'll be go home early and not drink, or just miss it. I did it last March so sorry I can't be more helpful.

I applied last March but didn't even have the teams interview until September I think? Covid delayed things a lot. I imagine it won't be as long this time around as they've adapted around covid since.

Great thanks!

BigB89

Does anyone have any additional advice for this pre recorded interview other than read job description and keep calm? Cheers

LCC106

Established Member
Can we stop giving people answers to questions please? Thankfully there have been several different responses. These assessments are to find out how YOU would approach situations. We don’t know what answers they want. Good luck everyone, just answer honestly with what YOU would do.

Mascaf

Hi, New member here. I have had an invite for the video interview with the plan to do it tomorrow night. Apprehensive but there’s some good info on here to help me along. I’ll keep you updated with how it goes if anybody is interested.

Also, can I ask where the classroom part of the training is carried out if based at Newcastle? Ahead of myself I know but I’ve seen that the academy is in York.

Kirky34

There are 6 questions in total, each asking for a time when you have ........ (insert what they want)
You have 30 seconds to read and prepare your answer, and then upto 3 minutes to answer it, you can use less, but automatically cuts off once you get to 3 minutes. There is a counter which changes colour as the time reduces (some what off putting ) you then have a chance to review your answer and if you are happy you submit it and move on, if not you can have a final second attempt.

Should have added if you read the roles and responsibility’s of the post as advertised, that will give you an idea of the types of questions you will be asked
Thanks for some really helpful advice. I'll be submitting my video tomorrow so I really appreciate this in advance. It's just helpful knowing how the process works. Do you mind if I copy and paste this into another thread as someone else there is looking for this info, as I was.

91 Durham

Hi, New member here. I have had an invite for the video interview with the plan to do it tomorrow night. Apprehensive but there’s some good info on here to help me along. I’ll keep you updated with how it goes if anybody is interested.

Also, can I ask where the classroom part of the training is carried out if based at Newcastle? Ahead of myself I know but I’ve seen that the academy is in York.
First six months of your training would be based at York with the next six month on the footplate on a roster basis with your designated trainer, that obviously would depend on passing the classroom based exams within the first six months

Mptckr

Thanks for some really helpful advice. I'll be submitting my video tomorrow so I really appreciate this in advance. It's just helpful knowing how the process works. Do you mind if I copy and paste this into another thread as someone else there is looking for this info, as I was.
No problems with sharing it. Good luck for tomorrow. I also treated it like any other interview - shirt and tie!

DriverEight

Remember, this could be as much about how you speak as it is about what you say. Speak clearly, try not to swear, try and look into the camera and not at your image on the screen, tone down your accent (say "I don't know" rather than "ah divvent knaa"). I didn't wear a tie, but a clean, well ironed shirt should be a must. Make sure your home is tidy. First impressions count, so if the first thing they see is a man in a dump, it's not a good start.

GeordieO

Has anyone tried the alternative interview option as my camera isn't working on my laptop at the moment. Any idea what the alternative interview is... over the phone, or face to face?

JLDURHAM

I have also been offered a video interview. I am 30 and just wondering how old other people are who are doing the vid interview? I'm looking for a career change and wondering if 30 is considered "old" haha. Cheers!
Take a few years off that, other end of the 20's :oops:

syhow79

Has anyone tried the alternative interview option as my camera isn't working on my laptop at the moment. Any idea what the alternative interview is... over the phone, or face to face?
I've just been wondering the same thing as I would have to borrow a laptop with a web cam on. Was thinking of using my phone but the camera is not the best on that either!

BigB89

Just finished my video interview for Newcastle depo. Hope we hear back sooner than the rest of the poor lads and lasses in this thread, questions were very generic and more than enough time to answer. Just a waiting game now. Good luck all.

onestone

Anyone who has recently started, did you have to provide your GCSE certificate? I cannot find mine(20+ years ago), done degree and professional qualifications since and never needed to produce it before :P

So, do I need to start trying to find out who the exam board is and pay for a replacement?

Thanks all, good luck

GeordieO

I've just been wondering the same thing as I would have to borrow a laptop with a web cam on. Was thinking of using my phone but the camera is not the best on that either!
Yes, with the deadline for completion that would probably be the easiest. Good luck!

ColeTrain

Little bit of advice regarding the video interview.

I’ve just recorded and submitted mine, i had 6 questions; all pretty generic/basic interview questions to be honest. Focused more on you providing evidence of a time you had to deal with a certain situation; working under pressure might be one example.

you have one practice recording before you start for real which you can record again and again so use that time to get comfortable and run through some of the questions and answers you’ve prepared for to try and quell any nerves and get your answers straight.

once you click on “reveal question” you have 30 seconds to read the question and formulate your answer. You then have two separate 3 minute attempts at recording your answer.

Stay calm, if you get flustered on the first attempt to answer, use the full 3 minutes to gather yourself and formulate your answer properly.

Be ready, once you stop the first attempt or the timer runs out you only have about 5 seconds to decide whether to keep it or re-record. If that 5 second timer runs out it automatically saves that attempt.

so you’re best off using the full 3mins 30 seconds at the beginning of each question to get it polished; then use the second attempt to deliver it best you can.

obviously if you get it right first time and are happy with it just go ahead and submit that one.

i bollocksed my first question up and this info prior to it would have helped me; so i hope its clear and helps some of you.

good luck everyone!

cliffy1209

Hi all. I’ve completed my video interview and waiting to hear back. I was wondering if anyone has any info as to what counts as an acceptable equivalent for GCSE grades A-C?
Congrats Mark, I don't want to know the exact questions you were asked but are you able to give any indication as to the type of and how many questions were asked in the video one please? Need to do mine by Thursday. Cheers

cliffy1209

Little bit of advice regarding the video interview.

I’ve just recorded and submitted mine, i had 6 questions; all pretty generic/basic interview questions to be honest. Focused more on you providing evidence of a time you had to deal with a certain situation; working under pressure might be one example.

you have one practice recording before you start for real which you can record again and again so use that time to get comfortable and run through some of the questions and answers you’ve prepared for to try and quell any nerves and get your answers straight.

once you click on “reveal question” you have 30 seconds to read the question and formulate your answer. You then have two separate 3 minute attempts at recording your answer.

Stay calm, if you get flustered on the first attempt to answer, use the full 3 minutes to gather yourself and formulate your answer properly.

Be ready, once you stop the first attempt or the timer runs out you only have about 5 seconds to decide whether to keep it or re-record. If that 5 second timer runs out it automatically saves that attempt.

so you’re best off using the full 3mins 30 seconds at the beginning of each question to get it polished; then use the second attempt to deliver it best you can.

obviously if you get it right first time and are happy with it just go ahead and submit that one.

i bollocksed my first question up and this info prior to it would have helped me; so i hope its clear and helps some of you.

good luck everyone!
This is really useful, thanks for sharing this. I need to do mine by Thursday so this really helps. Good luck with it going forward.....

Take a few years off that, other end of the 20's :oops:
Bloody hope it's not. I'm 41!!!

Mascaf

Just completed my video interview. As mentioned above it was 5 or 6 questions asking to give examples of when you have worked in certain situations and how you dealt with it. Fairly straight forward but nerve wracking at the time. The key is to stay calm and be yourself. Easier said than done. It’s a waiting game now. Good luck to everyone.

route101

Established Member
I've done a few pre recorded video interviews. I do find them awkward. I done one about a year ago I messed up. Another a few months ago that went a lot better. Least this one gives you two chances.

dmarshall3

Gutted :'(
Just failed third test. Ahhhh better luck next time.
good luck all xx
Did you manage to answer all the questions on the 3rd assessment. I have just completed mine but before I got a chance to click submit answers the time ran out, do you think it will still submit my answers automatically?

Miss C

Did you manage to answer all the questions on the 3rd assessment. I have just completed mine but before I got a chance to click submit answers the time ran out, do you think it will still submit my answers automatically?
Yes answered them all. Obviously incorrectly.
Genuinely gutted as desperate for my dream job!

have you received an email to tell you if you’ve passed or failed?
Check the website x

I’ve just noticed applications are now closed for the apprenticeship

Last edited:

HLZ77

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier today before doing my recorded interview. Nevermind.... like most have said it was pretty straightforward. I was really nervous initially but then calmed down as soon as the first question was out of the way. I did have trouble with one of my responses timing out during it uploading- but I emailed LNER and they got back to my straight away to help.

Does anyone know how long it would be before hearing if we have progressed to stage 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.