• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Local Facebook Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
My local Facebook group has recently gone private.

But during the first lockdown it was public and full of self righteous comments such as:-

"...I was walking down the High Street and was shocked at the number of people there. They can't all be doing essential shopping so some of the must be on a day out. STAY AT HOME TO PROTECT THE NHS..." (How do you know they weren't doing essential shopping, and they have as much right to be there as you?)

"I was in <insert name of supermarket> and was shocked at the number of people who wouldn't keep 2 metres away from me." (It is just as much your responsibility to keep two metres away from everyone else as it is their responsibility to keep two metres away from you. If you don't like people "getting too close" to you, then stop dithering over the baked beans/washing powder/fruit & veg...)

To say nothing of the debates on masks, lockdowns, government being reckless in reopening the pubs.......(yawn)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43021HST

Established Member
I thought it may have been exclusive to my area that the local FB page's completely both petty yet insane at the same time, but it's interesting to see it's the same everywhere. I'm not sure if the entire country's just completely bonkers or if the nutters are just the most vocal.

The Wright stuff is like the televised equivalent of a local FB group.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The quality of any moderation is a big factor in the quality of any group. My local group is well moderated with each post approved by the owner before it appears. That keeps out a lot of the rubbish.

Well I wouldn’t know about that… But I did see this little gem on our local group a couple of days ago: ;)

627A630E-607B-4790-8B0E-6AE533250DDC.jpeg

(“Am I the only one sick of getting my inbox full of reports of lost cats? Perhaps instead of this site being called NextDoor it should be called My Cat Is Missing (Oh wait, it’s returned home). It’s getting like ground hog day it’s happening so often…”)

DelayRepay

Established Member
My local Facebook group has recently gone private.

But during the first lockdown it was public and full of self righteous comments such as:-

We had all of that during the first lockdown, along with lots of 'are we allowed to...' questions. And every Thursday people trying to outdo each other with clapping pictures/videos and naming/shaming of people and streets who didn't join in.

As well as what I think were serious suggestions to turn the village hall into a field hospital, dig up the recreation ground to use as a mass burial site and set up roadblocks to stop non residents getting into the village. Someone wanted to set up Covid Patrols to catch people breaking lockdown rules. He did not like me pointing out that 'being a vigilante' did not actually appear on the list of permitted reasons to leave your house!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I had a leaflet through the door a while back - probably just after the whole covid thing kicked off. It wasn't promoting a Facebook group, but some app; it may well have been the "Nextdoor" thing that @Cowley mentioned earlier. Anyhow, I couldn't be bothered. I live in a cul-de-sac where everyone sort of knew eachother and kept an eye out for their neighbours, but as time has gone on the demographics have changed (the housing here was originally intended for older people).

I took a parcel in for my next-door neighbour a few months ago, and as soon as she got home she was hammering on my door. When I eventually answered I got abuse for not hearing the doorbell (the bit of duct tape across the button should suggest that it doesn't work) and then she berated me for accepting the parcel when she'd instructed the company she'd ordered from not to leave the parcel with a neighbour!

When I pointed out that the alternative action was for the parcel to be returned to the depot and that it would have taken rather longer to get to her (if at all), she harrumphed a bit and then scurried back into her cave.

Ye cannae win!

Typhoon

Established Member
I had a leaflet through the door a while back - probably just after the whole covid thing kicked off. It wasn't promoting a Facebook group, but some app; it may well have been the "Nextdoor" thing that @Cowley mentioned earlier. Anyhow, I couldn't be bothered. I live in a cul-de-sac where everyone sort of knew eachother and kept an eye out for their neighbours, but as time has gone on the demographics have changed (the housing here was originally intended for older people).

I took a parcel in for my next-door neighbour a few months ago, and as soon as she got home she was hammering on my door. When I eventually answered I got abuse for not hearing the doorbell (the bit of duct tape across the button should suggest that it doesn't work) and then she berated me for accepting the parcel when she'd instructed the company she'd ordered from not to leave the parcel with a neighbour!

When I pointed out that the alternative action was for the parcel to be returned to the depot and that it would have taken rather longer to get to her (if at all), she harrumphed a bit and then scurried back into her cave.

Ye cannae win!
You will probably find that your neighbour runs the 'Nextdoor' group and she had posted that under no circumstances were people to accept parcels addressed to her and, because, she had posted it, you had read it. She's the sort of person who would set up such a group (gross exaggeration); she's lucky, if you hadn't taken it in, the courier might have put it in a 'safe place', her bin, on the day the collection was due (wouldn't be the first time). Memo to neighbour: if the courier leaves it with a neighbour, your gripe is with the courier company (who will apologise but take no notice next time, do you want the goods or not?)

I had an invitation to join my local 'Nextdoor' group yesterday; it was addressed and appeared to come through Royal Mail (one of those second class stamps printed on the envelope). I thought 'you should join us' could be a bit coercive. The group has been going for some time (at least 16 months) and I reckon from what was in the invitation that there had been on average about 3 posts per household. Now the 'lost cat' scenario will generate more than that:-

10:00 'Help, our Balinese/ Sphinx cross, Kimi, has disappeared, she is a home cat, we have looked all around, please search everywhere for her. A.'
10:15 'Has Kimi been found yet? B.'
10:30 'Kimi still missing, please search garages, sheds, Wendy houses, hot tubs, look under decking and under cars. She has never been missing this long. A.'
10:45 'There was a blue van outside of no. 23 earlier. C.'
11:00 'Kimi has been found, she was asleep in the fitted wardrobe, I've no idea how she got there. A.'
11:05 'Is she alright? B.'
11:10 'Yes, she's fine. A.'
11:15 'Oh, bless. B.'
11:20 'I wonder what the blue van was doing outside no. 23. C.'

Incidentally, I'd be a bit suspicious if my neighbour had something delivered that she wouldn't possibly want me to know about, time for a posting on a local Facebook group?

BluePenguin

On Moderation
We have a few different Facebook groups. People who are banned from the main ones quickly join the “reject” groups. Posts range from middle-class requests to antisocial behaviour complaints. Nothing about dog poo although plenty of requests for tradesmen and general moaning

Alt text:

“Anyone encounter abuse from teens yesterday... I did I was on my way home with my 3 children 4,10,11 yo when a group of 16yo about ten of them decided it would be fun to shout abuse at me using disgusting language. In what world it's ok to start on innocent people minding their own business with children I will never know ”

“Anyone in eastry back fields fancy a bare knuckle?”

“Hard to believe as he's only just turned 3 but we'll be looking at applying for primary schools in September for my little one we've only been in Deal 2 years so don't know much about the schools. Which one do people recommend and why? Especially if you've got little ones at the younger end of the year.”

“Who on earth proceeds to purchase a Mcdonalds Breakfast for you and then just goes ahead and consumes it because you're asleep then engages in masturbation.........
Words simply fail me”

Attachments

• 56384664-24F1-405D-A749-E2347702B294.jpeg
    56384664-24F1-405D-A749-E2347702B294.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • 53EC8FB6-A240-4EEB-8D82-6316B0C7D4E1.png
    53EC8FB6-A240-4EEB-8D82-6316B0C7D4E1.png
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 4BFE0D6D-2282-4F53-BD5B-22CB1CA6B1F9.png
    4BFE0D6D-2282-4F53-BD5B-22CB1CA6B1F9.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • DE91CD6E-903A-443C-93B8-41B526F7936D.png
    DE91CD6E-903A-443C-93B8-41B526F7936D.png
    755.6 KB · Views: 36
  • EDEA5CAA-B09F-43F4-9BE5-F7ACDA102BDC.jpeg
    EDEA5CAA-B09F-43F4-9BE5-F7ACDA102BDC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
We have a few different Facebook groups. People who are banned from the main ones quickly join the “reject” groups. Posts range for middle-class requests to antisocial behaviour complaints. Nothing about dog poo although plenty of requests for tradesmen and general moaning

Alt text:

“Anyone encounter abuse from teens yesterday... I did I was on my way home with my 3 children 4,10,11 yo when a group of 16yo about ten of them decided it would be fun to shout abuse at me using disgusting language. In what world it's ok to start on innocent people minding their own business with children I will never know ”

“Anyone in eastry back fields fancy a bare knuckle?”

“Hard to believe as he's only just turned 3 but we'll be looking at applying for primary schools in September for my little one we've only been in Deal 2 years so don't know much about the schools. Which one do people recommend and why? Especially if you've got little ones at the younger end of the year.”

“Who on earth proceeds to purchase a Mcdonalds Breakfast for you and then just goes ahead and consumes it because you're asleep then engages in masturbation.........
Words simply fail me”
"Deal Watch" sounds less like a town Facebook group and more like a group for sharing good bargains... ;)

-Peter

BluePenguin

On Moderation
"Deal Watch" sounds less like a town Facebook group and more like a group for sharing good bargains... ;)

-Peter
If only there was some good bargains posted on there, sadly none! Coincidentally people do join by mistake assuming it’s a group to find online bargains lol

Admittedly it’s a useful group to check to see if the A258 road to Dover is busy. The rest of the time it’s the same usual nonsense though

Peter C

Established Member
If only there was some good bargains posted on there, sadly none! Coincidentally people do join by mistake assuming it’s a group to find online bargains lol

Admittedly it’s a useful group to check to see if the A256 road to Dover is busy. The rest of the time it’s the same usual nonsense though
Haha :lol:
That's a very specific purpose. I want to imagine there's one person sat next to the road giving updates on traffic levels but I expect I'm wrong on that front!

-Peter

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Haha :lol:
That's a very specific purpose. I want to imagine there's one person sat next to the road giving updates on traffic levels but I expect I'm wrong on that front!

-Peter
You are not wrong, it’s mostly people who live on the road! They are the same curtain twitchers who complain about bins, children and unreliable buses

Peter C

Established Member
You are not wrong, it’s mostly people who live on the road! They are the same curtain twitchers who complain about bins, children and unreliable buses
Haha - I think curtain twitchers seem to be a key part of a local Facebook group!

-Peter

SteveM70

Established Member
Well, there’s a change. We’ve just had an emergency request for a farrier

DelayRepay

Established Member
We had a power cut during thunder storms earlier in the week.

There were no less than 15 separate posts (new posts, not replies) from people asking if there was a power cut. Erm... if you have no electric, and look out the window to see the rest of the street in darkness, then it's likely that, yes, there is a power cut. Of course each post then generated hundreds of replies, mostly people confirming that they also had no power, and then hundreds more replies from people confirming their power was back on.

Amongst all the chaos was a request from someone who urgently needed some hot water to feed their baby. This was quickly resolved by a neighbour who used their gas stove, but nearly a week later the virtue signallers are still replying offering to heat up some water.

In my opinion, if there is a power cut, internet access is likely to be via a mobile phone. Personally I prefer to try to conserve my battery by limiting my internet use to essential things (like checking the power company website to see if they know about the power cut, and when they expect to repair it), not posting all over Facebook about being sat in the dark!

westv

Established Member
We had a post yesterday where someone was offering a partially used bottle of beer (I think)
"Free to collect". I don't think it was a wind up.
:D:D

Typhoon

Established Member
We had a post yesterday where someone was offering a partially used bottle of beer (I think)
Ideal slug trap. (Slugs aren't fussy.)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Could you let me know where that is (if it hasn’t gone already)?

Spamcan81

Is anyone else a member of a local Facebook group where there are endless posts about dog poo, rants about cyclists and of course posts about lost cats!

Yep. Dog poo, litter, bad drivers, electric scooters and lost cats make up the vast majority of posts on my village group.

A car pulled up by the side of the road earlier, and just sat there for 10 minutes doing nothing. It then went away again. Anyone know what was going on?

On my local group such an incident would be considered by some as indicative of criminal activity. :)

Last edited:

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Tonight‘s antisocial behaviour can be watched in the video above. A lot of local residents don’t seem to like loud music being played out of speakers nor for a game of football to take part in the street

Does anyone know this song? It sounds as though it’s a bit before their time!

Alt text: Teenagers walk in the middle of the road and then stop to kick a football between them whilst music plays out of a speaker

Attachments

• IMG_8479.MOV
    7.5 MB

tbtc

Veteran Member
1. Weird freebies (things that you'd put in the recycling without a second thought)
2. Posts saying "Thanks for letting me join" (that don't add anything interesting, e.g. mentioning what street you live on or something that may be of reference to other people)
3. Getting into arguments about spellings of some local things (there are a couple of places around here that go by "assumed names" and "actual names" and some of the locals get annoyed if people use the wrong name)
4. Adverts from gardening/ handyman companies, where they proudly post a picture of something that looks incredibly bland, e.g. a huge sterile looking lawn that has been laid in place of what was probably a diverse bit of overgrown garden

what’s happening with such and such bit of land (to which someone always responds drive through Maccies to wind people up)

5. On a related note to @SteveM70 , racists claiming that any disused plot of land (or empty shop) will be used for a mosque

Status
Not open for further replies.