• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locals station names

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumrar

Established Member
Not sure if this is the right place, but I thought I'd start a thread for stations that local people sometimes refer to by a completely different name. I'll start a few off
Kings Norton - Cotteridge
Tipton - Owen Street
Berkswell - Balsall Common
Longbridge - The Austin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Hemel Hempstead - Boxmoor
Mossley Hill - The Hill
New Street - Pallasades (obvious reasons)

the sniper

Established Member
I don't know if this fits in with the spirit of the thread Mumrar, but one I've heard a surprising amount of times is:

Birmingham Snow Hill - "That other station in town" :lol:

EDIT: To which I say 'Snow Hill or Moor Street', to which I get the response 'the car park one/the ugly one/the dingy one' or my personal favourite 'I don't know, not the big one [New Street], I thought there was only one other station'...

Last edited:

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I'm curious as to why. Would you go in to a shop and ask for Opal Fruits and a Marathon?

It's not deliberate, it's just how I always knew it and I rarely go through it now so it's not drilled into me yet.

By the way, they'll ALWAYS be Opal Fruits!!

mrcheek

Established Member
It's not deliberate, it's just how I always knew it and I rarely go through it now so it's not drilled into me yet.

By the way, they'll ALWAYS be Opal Fruits!!

On a similar note, most people I know still call HSBC "Midland Bank"

theblackwatch

Established Member
And as I mentioned earlier, quite a few I know (including myself) refer to the platforms at York station by their old numbers - I guess it's cos that what I grew up to know them as.

I've also noted that quite a few people refer to a 'Capitalcard' ticket in London, I'm sure it was renamed around 15-20 years back.

I've just about got the hang of 'Stockport' rather than 'Stockport Edgeley', but I'm afraid it's still 'Wolverhampton High Level' and 'Lancaster Castle'

Rgds

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Colchester Town - St Boltophs
Harwich Intl - Parkeston Quay

Royston Vasey

Established Member
And as I mentioned earlier, quite a few I know (including myself) refer to the platforms at York station by their old numbers - I guess it's cos that what I grew up to know them as.

I've also noted that quite a few people refer to a 'Capitalcard' ticket in London, I'm sure it was renamed around 15-20 years back.

I still talk about Network SouthEast! Growing up in the north, i saw pictures of that gorgeous livery and these strange trains powered by electricity! So it had a mystery and glamour to it which made me fond of the brand.

Network Railcard discounted tickets still say 'NSE' of course.

Oracle

Established Member
"Hounslow Southern Railway"
"Hounslow Southern Region"
"Hounslow Southern"

depending on age of resident, to differentiate with Hounslow West, Central and East UndergrounD stations. OTT Hounslow West is one of the only places that I know of that has been named after a station, as against the other way round.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I'm curious as to why. Would you go in to a shop and ask for Opal Fruits and a Marathon?
Not for Opal Fruits - I don't like them.
A Marathon? Yes, of course, if I want a filling snack - why not?

A third class Single from Corstophine to Princetown, please.

-------------------------------------------
Dunno what the stations were REALLY called on this Brighton submerged electric tramway was called - but how about some suggestions, please:-
daddy-long-legs-02.jpg
yes, that's right - a submerged undersea electric tram
http://www.urban75.org/railway/brighton-sea-railway.html

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Established Member
Milton Keynes Central - Central Milton Keynes

I disagree. I'd say that MK, or MK Central, or just Central are used fairly widely. Other than just Milton Keynes.

In a similar vein, Kings Langley > Kings.

robert2000

Llandudno junction = junction
dovey junction = dovey
blaenau ffestiniog = blaenau
ellesmere port = the port

Maybe Im still a bit rude and Call Exeter St Davids: **** 1
Exeter Central: **** 2
Exeter St Thomas: The station of no trains
St James Park: That small station

Pumbaa

Established Member
Ah yes, I knew that one for Hillingdon.

Watford Met Tube station is known as Cassiobury Station, or Park Station or an amalgamation of the two.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but natives of Leeds frequently give directions in terms of landmarks that are no longer there. As in "Turn right at The Grenadier - the pub that closed 15 years ago, then we'll be opposite the Grocery shop (that was bombed out in the war)" Never come across this so much in other areas. And have a guess where "Yeadon Aerodrome" is known as.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic, but natives of Leeds frequently give directions in terms of landmarks that are no longer there. As in "Turn right at The Grenadier - the pub that closed 15 years ago, then we'll be opposite the Grocery shop (that was bombed out in the war)" Never come across this so much in other areas. And have a guess where "Yeadon Aerodrome" is known as.

Don't forget the Quarry Hill flats !

I was travelling on a CEP about ten years ago and the guard announced over the tannoy that the rear four coaches would be calling at "Tunbridge Wells Central"

Status
Not open for further replies.